all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Question: The Push-Press & AGT?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Girevik67

Level 4 Valued Member
Hello all. A quick specific question regarding the push-press. Does this specific drill loan itself well to AGT training modalities? @Anna Cannington @Harald Motz please weigh in. Thanks in advance?

Sure, I think so.

When I was prepping for this event last weekend (CrossFit style "Grace", then 3RM DL, then "Murph"), all my training was AGT, as designed by my coach @randyh . Paces reps/min for the Grace C&J. Run/walk for the running volume. Shorts sets of pull-ups, push-ups, air squats for the Murph rounds with timed rest, staying away from the burn. The most volume I did in training for Murph was about half of the event volume.

Not only did I complete everything, and did better than expected on time, I was hardly sore the next day, and I was back to weightlifting training the day after that, while my other event-mates say they can barely move their arms and are still recovering. AGT works! I will write a longer post about it when I get some event photos.

As for push-press, if your objective is to build strength and power, I'm thinking use 70-80% of your 1RM and 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps, ~3 minutes of rest between them as a basic template. You posted in kettlebell, so I assume single or double kettlebell? I'm sure there are some good kettlebell programs that use push press...

Sure, I think so.

When I was prepping for this event last weekend (CrossFit style "Grace", then 3RM DL, then "Murph"), all my training was AGT, as designed by my coach @randyh . Paces reps/min for the Grace C&J. Run/walk for the running volume. Shorts sets of pull-ups, push-ups, air squats for the Murph rounds with timed rest, staying away from the burn. The most volume I did in training for Murph was about half of the event volume.

Not only did I complete everything, and did better than expected on time, I was hardly sore the next day, and I was back to weightlifting training the day after that, while my other event-mates say they can barely move their arms and are still recovering. AGT works! I will write a longer post about it when I get some event photos.

As for push-press, if your objective is to build strength and power, I'm thinking use 70-80% of your 1RM and 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps, ~3 minutes of rest between them as a basic template. You posted in kettlebell, so I assume single or double kettlebell? I'm sure there are some good kettlebell programs that use push press...
Single kettlebell push-presses are what i mesnt, yes. I currently own one of each 20k, 24k, 28k, 32K, 36k & 40k. Thanks very much for the reply.

Single kettlebell push-presses are what i mesnt, yes. I currently own one of each 20k, 24k, 28k, 32K, 36k & 40k. Thanks very much for the reply.
You might also consider the Viking Push Press (VPP), at least for specialized variety.
This is a variation where you do not rest in the rack, but use the catching at the bottom for driving it up again immdediately.

It is also mentioned in Q&D.

You might also consider the Viking Push Press (VPP), at least for specialized variety.
This is a variation where you do not rest in the rack, but use the catching at the bottom for driving it up again immdediately.

It is also mentioned in Q&D.
Yes it is mentioned in Q&D and I actually threw in 3 rounds of the VPP just this week. I like it and will continue to do it for variety.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom