all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Question: Training for "The Tactical Games" a new competition mixing shooting and 'fitness'

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Tirofijo

Level 6 Valued Member
There's a new competition called "The Tactical Games" . It involves two days of stages of running and shooting, carrying heavy objects, rope climbs and other events that could be described a 'functional' (i.e. no burpees or snatches.)

You have to carry carbine/pistol/15lb plate carrier for most events.

Your score is the time it took to complete the event plus time penalties for any missed shot.

Stages aren't published ahead of time and seem to vary based on what terrain and space is available at the different venues. But I've been following it on Instagram and you can a sense of what it's like.

Some of the events seem to have been borrowed from Strongman competitions, the weights used are not Strongman-level and the distances are often further.

One stage looked to be 50m of sandbag carry, a rope climb, some shooting, carry the sandbag back, run 600 meters, shoot some more, run 600 meters. It was over in 10 minutes. That seems to be on the short end of the spectrum.

I've also seen 2.5+ mile runs mentioned, so you can't neglect aerobic capacity. (Especially if the times are aggregated from each stage. A whippet could build up a few minutes lead over the course of a 3 mile run stage, and the strong but slower guys would have trouble making up the gap in the sprint stages.)

Games-1-675x450.jpg

20181013-IMG_0067_cropped.jpg

tac-games-ms1.jpg

Kinda cheesy video. But you get a sense of the events.

I'd like to compete, maybe in the fall 2019 or spring of next year depending on if/when the organizers hold one remotely near me.

I'd be interested in anyone's opinion on training for something like this. I've got a lot of time to prep.

My thoughts are the following:

(1) for now continue to do what I'm doing, which is -

-double KB clean and presses from "KB Strong" (It's working well.)
-heavy TGUs
-farmer walks (grip strength is improving. Thumbs up)
-lunges for lower body
-pullups
-the occasional low and slow runs

At some point I'm going to incorporate deadlifts again. I'll probably drop the TGUs and lunges on the deadlift day.

(Dan John's "Basic Human Movements" inspired the program above. )

Then,

(2) ramp up the running. Slowly add more distance work and eventually the old standby of 400m intervals once a week. I might find a 'minimalist' training plan for 5k distances and use that as a guide. I won't run junk miles but I'll need to run more than I am running now. I used to be a decent runner and would always max out the Army PT run of 2 miles in less than 12 minutes. ) but I sure as heck couldn't do that now.

Finally,

(3) As the event gets closer, try to work in the events that are likely to be part of the competition. Sled drags, sandbag carries, etc., while wearing kit.

I'd be in the 45+ age category, which sometimes mean you get lighter weights on the carries and such. Distances don't change.

----------

Even though I mentioned my plan, feel free to throw out something different or point me in a completely different direction.

Last edited:
I like the training you have laid out, I would do one LSD day and using FARTLEK runs and another LSD day of steady state rucking if possible. Weighted step-ups in place of lunges, these are big with Rob Shaul at Mountain Athlete. He has some really great programs for just this type of event.

Looks like fun. You have the physical prep under control. I assume you will shoot some USPSA and / 3 Gun to sharpen up your shooting on the clock?

Looks like fun. You have the physical prep under control. I assume you will shoot some USPSA and / 3 Gun to sharpen up your shooting on the clock?

I've shot USPSA since 2003, off and on. But it looks like my hosing skills won't be needed. I only know what I've gleaned from a few IG posts and YT, but I was able to find out there's a 10 second time penalty for each miss. It's all steel. Looks like scaled down torso targets at 25y for the pistol. Out to 250y for the carbine. More accuracy oriented than USPSA. They have multiple competitors running the stage at the same time, so they are pretty limited with what they can do when it comes to shooting. The shooting part is a bit boring, to be honest.

So I'll work on accuracy and groups at a modest pace .

HR can have a huge effect on accuracy that you'll have to feel out. It might be a good idea to track your accuracy in correlation to HR and adjust your exertions accordingly. 10 seconds per is leeway that can be manipulated - in some cases it might be better to really fly going into the next shoot, in some you might want to conserve effort.

Prone rifle shooting is least influenced by HR fluctuations, upright handgunning would be the most. Interesting stuff! Looking at how biathletes train, you'd want to prioritize HR recovery and get the resting HR as low as possible. But then, they're shooting at a much smaller target than a steel silhouette.

Study Finds That Moderate Levels of Stress Have Significant Impacts on Marksmanship

Here is my 12 cents.

Contact Rob shaul at https://mtntactical.com I am not a fan of his base building programs (not even sure if he has any now that I have said that) but his peaking programs are usually on point. He does a fair share of shooting under stress and competition type drills and testing. Should have a program with this in mind.

Otherwise increase your general strength until you are "strong enough." I feel if you can toss around double 32kg KB you should be fine with strength. To stay with strongfirst programs a modified DFW, or Pavel's Recon program would do this (I put some general template ideas at the bottom for each.). Learn and practice running and sprinting in your fighting load. If you have access to a rope utilize that 1-2x a week. If you don't find a gymnastics center, they usually have an open gym time and always have a rope.

I am assuming you are a shooter since your interested in the event. Here are a few tips if you haven't thought of them yet. Get used to hitting a smaller target, if all your hits need to be in the A Zone Get used to shooting an index card. I saw above that its all steel, Run smaller steel for your drills if you can. From time to time work on your trigger reset speed by utilizing the event size. Viking tactics 1-5 drill is a staple for most for a reason, run this with smaller targets.

Get with @Al Ciampa for some breathing drill ideas.

Take a Sandbag to the range with you and do some sandbag cleans, Clean to squat, and carries then shoot. Do jumping jacks or jump rope to mimic running. If your active duty they will have ranges you can set up and do whatever. If you do not have a range that's cool, set up mini events on nation forest service land. If you have a park that has a large field or an equivalent run around and stage a mock event, dry firing of course. (Prepared to be judged if you choose this route, and potentially have police called.) Just be honest with your self assessment of sight alignment and where your Point of aim was when you pulled the trigger. (If your in the country or have a private range none of those ideas matter.)

It looks more physical then shooting oriented.

Sample template DFW
How I would program days
Strength
Endurance
Strength
Endurance
Strength
Athletic
Endurance

Strength days 3x week
Warmup
Getups 2-3x1 per arm
Clean + Press, Front Squat (30min reps vary per day)
Pullups 103x comfortable max or 1Arm row 1x20-40
Sled drag or Sandbag carry 1x far (4+min)

Endurance 3x week
Slow easy jog 5-60min

Athletic Day 1x week
Sprints
tumbling Drills
Proprioception
Jumps
Crawls
Work in Fighting load for drills.
If you have access to an obstacle course this would be where to do it.

Pavel's Recon Program
D1 session A
D2 athletic day (sprints, jumps, crawls)
D3 LSD jog
D4 session B
D5 LSD jog
D6 Ruck or jog + S&S swings + Getups
D7 rest or jog.

I go heavier on the strength day than the set weights.

On the work capacity day I always push to hard in the 10min c+J. I alternate weighted squats with weighted lunges during the pullups. And cap the swing snatch session at 30min. In your case I might drop that portion and add in SB Carries and or sled drags.

Your training program ideas above looked solid. And like you stated you have time. Start jogging more since that is your self described weak point. And work in sprints from time to time.

@Tuebor Many thanks for the detailed response. Very good ideas there.

I have lots of time. Looks like there won't be an event west of the Georgia/Alabama line for the rest of the year. The last event is in November in Florida, and I have to move continents, start a new assignment, and do a couple of TDYs between now and then, so I wouldn't be able to train properly. I don't see it happening.

The founder has hinted that he's going to go west next year. I'll set my sights for the spring.

I "did" Mountain Tactical (may have been called Mountain Athlete back then) ten years ago when it was basically CF on steroids. I have zero desire to go back training that way and I'm sure my body would revolt if I did do it long term. But I imagine he's learned a lot since then and I see he now has a slew of different sorts of selection programs. Running one of those as a peaking program, however, makes a lot of sense. I could see myself doing that. Thanks for that.

Continents tend to get in the way of competition training, although depending on what you do plenty of time in your gear, and I have never came back from a deployment out of shape. Enjoy your new position, and especially your TDY.

Best of skill whichever way you decide to go. Event looks like a blast.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom