all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Questions about Grease the Groove

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

AndyP

First Post
Does Grease the Groove (GtG) have carryover?
If I become better at doing pull-ups doing GtG will that improve my deadlift?

Is GtG more applicable to exercises that have a large skill component such a pull-ups than exercises that do not have a large skill component such as leg press?

Does GtG train the fast-twitch muscle fibers?
Reason I ask is this:
According to the Henneman's size principle in order to recruit all motor units (including those controlling fast-twitch muscle fibers) one must either train with high intensity (low number of repetitions) or train close to failure.

Thanks,
Andreas

Hello,

Yes it does. However, as always, it depends on the move you choose. For instance, GTG with biceps curls (disclaimer: I do not say they are useless, but they are specific) may have less carryover than pull ups / chin ups

To a certain extent, yes. Nonetheless, I would prefer GTG with the deadlift which work on the legs and hips. It works on the back and upper pull as well. The pull up does not have a leg component which is necessary for the DL

Is GtG more applicable to exercises that have a large skill component such a pull-ups than exercises that do not have a large skill component such as leg press?
A lot of people use this strategy with compounds, such as pull ups, pistol squats, push ups.

Here you'll find a great thread about fast-twitch:

Kind regards,

Pet'

Technique Development

One of the underlying component of GTG is the development of Technique.

Technique Training needs to be performed first in a program when you are fresh.

Technique is optimally developed when a movement is trained for single repetition with loads that are closer to your 1 Repetition Max.

Pull Ups For Deadlifts

There isn't any carryover from Pull Ups to Deadlifts.

Is GtG more applicable to exercises that have a large skill component such a pull-ups...

Pull Ups

Pull Ups have more of a skill component to them that an Leg Press, but...

Pull Ups are at the bottom of he pile when it comes to being a "Skilled Movement".

Fast Twitch Muscle Fiber

These muscle fiber are optimally developed with...

1) Power Movements: Performing a movement as explosively as you can with a moderate load; 48 - 62% of 1 Repetition Max for Traditional Exercises.

2) Maximum Strength: Performing a movement with heavy loads that are 85% or higher of your 1 Repetition Max.

Fast Twitch Muscle fiber are elicited to a greater degree with Maximum Strength Training Movements that involve...

"Compensatory Acceleration"

This means pushing or pulling the load in an exercise as hard and fast as you can, regardless of he load.

Doing to innervates Fast Twitch Muscle Fiber. What important is "The Intent" to explode with the load in a heavy movement. Doing so quickly bring more Fast Twitch Muscle Fiber into play.

According to the Henneman's size principle in order to recruit all motor units (including those controlling fast-twitch muscle fibers) one must either train with high intensity (low number of repetitions) or train close to failure.

Fast Twitch Muscle Fiber and The Size Principle

The Muscle Firing Sequence is the same with all movements.

Slow Twitch/Type 1 > Fast Twitch/Type IIa > "Super" Fast Type IIb/x.

Car Race Analogy

Think of Muscle Fibers like cars.

1) Slow Twitch are a 4 cylinder Volkswagon Bug.

2) Fast Twitch Type IIa are an 8 cylinder Mustang.

3) Fast Twitch Type IIb/x are Hot Rods; a huge engine and just a frame.

In this example, the Volkswagon/Slow Type I Twitch Fiber is allowed go start first.

Then the Mustang/Fast Type IIa Muscle Fiber is allows to go.

Finally, the Hot Rod/"Super" Fast Type IIb/x Fiber take off.

The Fast Twitch Type IIa quickly over take the Slow Type I.

Then the "Super" Fast Type IIb/x blow past both the Slow Type I and Fast Type IIa.

Training To Failure for Fast Twitch

Yes, that is one way of innervating/working the Fast Twitch Muscle Fiber. It has a place in training.

However, going to failure in any exercise should be limited.

Going to failure in every training session leads to overtraining and mental burn out.

Explosive and Maximum Strength Movements

These movement specifically target/work the Fast Twitch Muscle Fiber.

In Explosive and Maximum Strength Movements the Fast Twitch Muscle Fiber are exhausted in less that seconds.

Targeting Fast Twitch Fiber Training

A more effective method of training and developing the them is..

1) Power Training: Performing Power Movements with 48 - 62% of your 1 Repetition Max with Traditional Strength Training Exercise.

2) Maximum Strength Training: Performing Heavy Movement with 85% plus of your 1 Repetition Max.

Last edited:
Pull Ups For Deadlifts

There isn't any carryover from Pull Ups to Deadlifts.
For some people, there is. If you "leak" in your lats when deadlifting, pullups can help.

And pullups and presses have good carryover to each other for many people. One of my most successful training cycles was presses, pullups, and deadlifts - felt like a winning combination to me as I remember.

-S-

For some people, there is. If you "leak" in your lats when deadlifting, pullups can help.

1) Kroc Rows

This movement is named after, Matt Kroczaleski.

Kroczalenski has written up some training article on how this movement is one of the better Upper Back Auxiliary Movements for the Deadlift.

Weneler demonstratetes them in the above video.

2) Pendley Row

This method amount to Cluster Set Rows.

3) Standing T-Bar Rows

A Standing T-Bar allows you to drive with the legs and lower back, similar to an Olympic High Pull Clean or Snatch.

4) Alan Hedrick's Olympic High Pull

Below is the...

Video Demo

My best Deadlift was achieved by performing Olympic Dead Hang and Plyometric Hang High Pulls (getting a slight bump off my legs to initiate the Pull).

4) Machine Rows With Some Lower Back Drive

Like the Standing T-Bar Row, you utilized some leg and lower back, similar to an Olympic High Pull Clean.

While Pull Up can help with the Deadlift, Rows are more specific with the movement.

If Pull Ups are working, great. Just add in some Rows at some point.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom