all posts post new thread

Special Events - General Questions about Second Wind express & Built Strong (online)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Xene

Level 6 Valued Member
First of all I wanted to thank you for offering this event online! This is awesome.

I guess we could need a thread with questions about the event. Especially because of it's the first Built Strong event.

I go first:

- Is Built Strong only for advanced people like Plan Strong? I didn't attend Plan Strong, but I read a lot about it and most people said that it's nothing for beginners or intermediates without being serious about powerlifting.

- In the article about Built Strong you write:
"Inconsistency among the duration of training sessions, with some very short and some very long. Not suitable for those with a limited and well-defined time to devote to training"
-> How much time is needed with Built Strong programs? How many times per week and how long are those sessions?

- Can Built Strong be combined with Strong Endurance, Q&A, A+A etc.? Or is it a hypertrophy/strength only approach without much room for conditioning?

That's if for now.

Thank you @Fabio Zonin

First of all I wanted to thank you for offering this event online! This is awesome.

I guess we could need a thread with questions about the event. Especially because of it's the first Built Strong event.

I go first:

- Is Built Strong only for advanced people like Plan Strong? I didn't attend Plan Strong, but I read a lot about it and most people said that it's nothing for beginners or intermediates without being serious about powerlifting.
It's important to differentiate between designing a program and performing a program.

BuiltStrong's title suggests that it's about learning how to create BuiltStrong programs; my guess, and I will confirm this with Fabio, is that it's like PlanStrong in that it teaches you the principles and how to put those principles into specific programs.

PlanStrong programs can be performed by anyone.

I've written my own for my deadlifting and overhead pressing, and my wife is running a PlanStrong cycle I wrote for her deadlift. My wife has listened to me talk to her about deadlift form for a long time, but has only recently dialed in her own form that she's starting to make progress _and_ recover well from her deadlifting, and I consider her a novice deadlifter - and she would agree.

The 4-week PlanStrong block I just finished had me lifting 2 days in some weeks, 3 days in some weeks, and 4 days in some weeks because of the variable volume.

"Inconsistency among the duration of training sessions, with some very short and some very long. Not suitable for those with a limited and well-defined time to devote to training"
-> How much time is needed with Built Strong programs? How many times per week and how long are those sessions?
I would think the 20 minutes to 1 hour mentioned in the article, but again I will ask Fabio for his input.

- Can Built Strong be combined with Strong Endurance, Q&A, A+A etc.? Or is it a hypertrophy/strength only approach without much room for conditioning?
This is a broad question that I don't think is specific to BuiltStrong.

That's if for now.

Thank you @Fabio Zonin

-S-

Thanks for the reply @Steve Freides

Let's wait for some inputs from Fabio himself.

Another questions:

Is there a way to prepare myself for the course (literature etc.)?

@Xene, please see below for responses from Fabio:

Thank you, Sir!

It sounds like a great idea and I will be happy to answer.

No, it's not for advanced. I would rather say intermediates, as a basic knowledge of most common kettlebell (grinds), barbell, and bodyweight skills, and good technique are required.

It depends as there are several possible templates. With three or four sessions per week and with three or six main lifts.
The point is that the length fo the sessions varies from session to session, I would say 15-45 minutes for the easier templates, and 40-90 minutes for the most committing ones (for advanced only).
The good thing is that one learns how to design plans according to this methodology at the event, and therefore adjust their duration to the desired duration.

Yes, that's definitely possible. It depends on the template one chooses to design a plan with.

-S-

Thank you again. I booked the event! Looking forward to it!!

(still interested in ways how to prepare)

Before applying I got 2 questions.
Having done no online Strongfirst course, would you say the only requirement be a PC with camera (or smartphone).
Aside from recertification, any equipment required?

Before applying I got 2 questions.
Having done no online Strongfirst course, would you say the only requirement be a PC with camera (or smartphone).
Aside from recertification, any equipment required?
PlanStrong and BuiltStrong are both lecture format, so no equipment needed, although being at your computer is better than being on your phone. One needn't have a camera, either - sometimes Fabio arranges for specific participants who've already worked with the programming in question to talk for a few minutes, and those folks need a camera, but generally speaking, any "regular" attendee does not. At the last PlanStrong online, I think we had everyone turn on their camera and microphones briefly and took a group screen shot in place of the usual group photo. Most people were on computers but a few were on phones.

Questions are generally best asked by typing them into the chat window - no real need to ask them out loud. There will be both Fabio and others - including me - monitoring the chat, and either Fabio or another staff person will answer. And, as is often the case at these things, many of the participants are already smart about these things, and the answer to quite a few questions will be, "Good question, we're going to get to that later/tomorrow, just be patient."

I believe recert arrangement are going to be handled separately - email contact@strongfirst.com to discuss that.

Anything else, @taikei or anyone else, please don't hesitate to ask.

-S-

I should add that what I'm describing is how our most recent PlanStrong online worked. It's possible this one may be slightly different but I expect it to be largely the same.

-S-

Hi Steve/Fabio,
thanks for answering the questions that have been raised so far, it has answered a lot of my own questions in the process. Could I please ask, for those of us living overseas, will the hardcopy of the manuscript be sent out a little earlier so we may have a chance of receiving it prior to the seminar?

Thanks for your time.

Kind regards,
Richard

Could I please ask, for those of us living overseas, will the hardcopy of the manuscript be sent out a little earlier so we may have a chance of receiving it prior to the seminar?
For PlanStrong, worksheets were emailed to all the participants before the seminar started, but the physical manual was sent out only afterwards. To the best of my knowledge, the upcoming online workshops will follow the same model.

You may rest assured that you'll have what you need in order to fully participate in the seminar as it happens.

-S-

Those couple days at home from 0:00 am to 8:00 my time, was a blast. I almost forgot how funny Pavel could be.
Thanks to Steve Freides for making a point about that Russian music. My wife who woke up in the morning was frightened by that interlude.

Does having attended Second Wind Express online qualifies me to access Second Wind sub forum?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom