all posts post new thread

TSC Questions about TSC

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Simply strong

Level 4 Valued Member
Apologies if these are commonly answered questions...

What assistance work is recommended? Is it even necessary?

How much pushing / squatting should you do to off set the pulls / hinging of the DL and pull up?
Would presses/dips and front squats be good?

Would weighted pull ups be a good thing to increase max reps at body weight?

What assistance work is recommended? Is it even necessary?

Depends on your strengths and weaknesses. What class are you competing in, and how are your numbers now in a self-assessment?

How much pushing / squatting should you do to off set the pulls / hinging of the DL and pull up?
Would presses/dips and front squats be good?

It's not necessary to do any, especially in your TSC-prep-specific training in the weeks or months leading up to it. But if you want to do some as part of your general strength training program, that's all good.

Would weighted pull ups be a good thing to increase max reps at body weight?

I think the standard answer is once you can do 10 reps in one set at bodyweight, start training with added weight.

There's probably a bit of a bell curve as far as weighted pull-ups increasing body weight pull-ups goes. From my experience, weighted pull-ups might help to increase your numbers if you're in the 8-16 pull-up range. After that, practicing some higher-rep body weight sets is probably necessary. Your mileage may vary...

As far as assistance vs main work goes: I tend to emphasize deadlifts, swings, and snatches (with myself & my gym members) and add in some light-to-medium-weight get-ups to maintain mobility during TSC training. After TSC training we take some de-load time to rest and work on opposing movements.

TSC training is a lot of pulling & hinging. So in that de-load time just make sure to include pushing & squatting movements. Whatever exercises you pick should be fine so long as they fall into those categories. (Push-up, bench/military press, handstands, goblet squats, front squats, back squats, body weight squats, etc)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom