all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Questions on flexible steel

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

alex88

Level 3 Valued Member
Hello Comrades,

i bought flexible steel recently and i have some questions.

The programm mentioned in it to improve overall flexibility is the "escape your fighting stance -programm"
There are 6 moves you ought to practice 3 days a week.

My questions:

- Has anyone used this as a morning routine or is it more like a general mobility system used after training?
-Should i do this on off days or does it interfere with my regular training if i do it in the morning?
-Am i supposed to do the whole frog series(up to level4 or higher if I am able) or should i just do level1?

Thank you in advance
Alex

I did this really regularly when I was climbing a lot 3 or so years ago. I was never consistent about the time of day that I did it as my work schedule was hugely erratic, but I always felt the best when doing it at the end of the day (either after climbing or a long day if work). I think the tin man routine outlined in the book might be a better choice for a morning routine, but obviously doing something is better than doing nothing.
My strength training at the time was ROP, and I generally didn't feel the biggest benefit from the "escape" routine on those days - I guess because I was already doing a lot of extension work.
For the frog series I would stick with the basic stage 1 or 2, as the whole frog series is pretty intense and should be taken as an entity in its own right (another brilliant tool for climbers looking to bridge wider and stronger)
I now view the "escape" routine as kind of a flexibility minimum, it covers most things and addresses the common issues of both athletes and desk jockeys.

- Has anyone used this as a morning routine or is it more like a general mobility system used after training?
Generally speaking, we do mobility work in the mornings and every day. Speaking for myself, I do mobility movements throughout the day and have been for years. You could consider the popular word "resets" in this context - the idea is to "reset" yourself to moving easily in ways you know you should be moving easily.

-Should I do this on off days or does it interfere with my regular training if i do it in the morning?
If you're doing high-repetition mobility work, it might take you a little time to get used to that, but otherwise, it should _help_, not hinder, the strength training that follows it, whether that strength training is immediately after or later in the day.

You can do mobility work on your off days, too.

The things that can adversely effect your training are contract-relax protocols where you are "messing with" your stretch reflex. Those are best done at the end of your day and less often than mobility work.
-Am i supposed to do the whole frog series(up to level 4 or higher if I am able) or should i just do level1?
In general, you want to use mobility work to preserve and perhaps slightly enhance a range of motion you already have. Flexibility work is when you're trying to increase your range of motion to, e.g. achieve higher kicks or a better split.

The frog series can be mobility, flexibility, or both, depending on how hard you push yourself - that's why my answer might seem a little vague here. The devil is in the details, and in my own training, you'll find me doing some of the same movements at different times and pushing to different degrees.

The _best_ thing is to understand the principles and apply them to yourself through some experimentation to find out what yields the biggest result for the least amount of time spent for you.

I don't have my FS book in front of me as I write this - I'll track it down and put it near my desk, and if you have more questions, please feel free to ask.

-S-

You can use it for either.

-Should i do this on off days or does it interfere with my regular training if i do it in the morning?

Like all stretching, you can perform it daily with low intensity/relaxed stretching.
If you choose to apply the type of high intensity muscular contractions that can produce muscle soreness to this routine, you should only that 2 to 3 x per week then practice it with low intensity / relaxed methods the other days of the week.

-Am i supposed to do the whole frog series(up to level4 or higher if I am able) or should i just do level1?

Consider the levels, like variations of heavy weights, Take time to build up to them.
Most days should be doable and repeatable, a 7 or 8 out of 10 in terms of intensity and effort. Occasionally go all out or try to increase your limit.

A beginner who is exceptionally tight may only be able to use the first level or 2. An intermediate could use them all, using the advanced ones periodically and an advanced practitioner could use them all regularly.

In general, you want to use mobility work to preserve and perhaps slightly enhance a range of motion you already have. Flexibility work is when you're trying to increase your range of motion to, e.g. achieve higher kicks or a better split.

@Steve Freides Thanks for posting this simple explanation of mobility/flexibility, and the general rule of thumb regarding how to apply each. This makes a lot of sense to me. I have finally been consistent with daily SJ for the past 2 months or so, and it has made a great impact to the quality of my day, in addition to preparing me for any upcoming physical activity that day. For example, I used to perform and abbreviated SJ routine immediately prior to the warmup from S&S, regardless of which routine I was following, but I now go straight into the Goblet Squats and am ready for the session within minutes.

I have however, begun to ignore flexibility a bit. Will figure which evenings to devote a few minutes to flexibility to. Thanks again.

Thank you, @JonS. I always recommend anyone serious about their flexibility and their joint health purchase three books: Super Joints by Pavel, Relax Into Stretch by Pavel, and Flexible Steel by Jon Engum. Read all three and you're good to go.

Flexibility Guide from kbnj.com is a page I have about these materials and more relaxed to joint health and flexibility.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom