all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Questions re Weighted Dips

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

RonRon

First Post
Hello all,

First post here. I just tested the number of body-weighted dips that I can do in a single set, and I am able to do 13. I have been doing BW dips every other day using the GTG methodology (10 sets of 5 reps, done throughout the day). From the information I've gathered (being able to do more than 10 reps of any body weighted movement), I am ready to dive into weighted dips. I have a weighted vest that can go up to 20 lbs. I am also currently doing the Simple & Sinister program and just completed week two.

1. How much weight should I start with?
  2. Does Pavel's suggestion to make big jumps in load (like in S&S) hold true to GtG training?
Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome. This forum is great and I appreciate all of your contributions.

Ron

Weighted dips are excellent! as far as weight jumps I have fond that jumps in weight of 8-12lb are an good jumps. I also think it depends on how strong you are at said movement. for example my one rep max is my bodyweight (210lbs) +80lbs. so 8-12lbs is between 2-4% of my maximum. so it relatively small jumps compared to my max.
as far as practical advice if you want to continue the GTG route find a load that lets you do between 4-10reps and do 1/2 the reps your capable off. if not go with an easy strength approach ie. 10 reps daily done in sets of between 2-5. add weight when it feels easy.

Do you have any specific goal, or you just want to be better at weight dips? Personally, i find that there's still lots of benefit from doing dips at higher reps (bodyweight only). Once i can do 20 dips, i will move my focus to more difficult version, like straight bar dips, korean dips, or weight dips.
If you can do few strict dips with 20lb, you can GTG with it. As long as every rep are fresh, strong, with good technique, you'll be alright. No need to overthink.
Does Pavel's suggestion to make big jumps in load (like in S&S) hold true to GtG training?
First, i'm not Pavel or qualify instructor, so feel free to abandon my opinion. Base on my experience, GTG is very effective with hard bodyweight exercise, like handstand push up, planche...and with bodyweight exercise, "big jump load" is very common - for example, from straddle to full planche. If such jump can be accepted with bodyweight exercise, i don't see why it could not apply with loaded exercise.
I am also currently doing the Simple & Sinister program and just completed week two.
This is something need to concert. Did you have experience with t.g.u before? Do you feel comfortable with swing and get up for now, or you still fixing/building the technique? What weight are you using right now? If you haven't felt comfortable yet with SnS, maybe you should be easy with dips and focus on SnS more.
Good luck with your training. Dips is my favorite exercise, i feel it should be treated like the main exercise, like bench press or squat.

Do you have any specific goal, or you just want to be better at weight dips? No specific goal except to get stronger. Personally, i find that there's still lots of benefit from doing dips at higher reps (bodyweight only). Once i can do 20 dips, i will move my focus to more difficult version, like straight bar dips, korean dips, or weight dips.
If you can do few strict dips with 20lb, you can GTG with it. As long as every rep are fresh, strong, with good technique, you'll be alright. No need to overthink.

First, i'm not Pavel or qualify instructor, so feel free to abandon my opinion. Base on my experience, GTG is very effective with hard bodyweight exercise, like handstand push up, planche...and with bodyweight exercise, "big jump load" is very common - for example, from straddle to full planche. If such jump can be accepted with bodyweight exercise, i don't see why it could not apply with loaded exercise.

This is something need to concert. Did you have experience with t.g.u before? Do you feel comfortable with swing and get up for now, or you still fixing/building the technique? What weight are you using right now? If you haven't felt comfortable yet with SnS, maybe you should be easy with dips and focus on SnS more. I'm using 16 kg. I'm comfortable with the movements, but I am always trying to improve.
Good luck with your training. Dips is my favorite exercise, i feel it should be treated like the main exercise, like bench press or squat.

@RonRon, welcome to the StrongFirst forum. Below is the recommended way to format embedding your replies instead of using different colors:

Do you have any specific goal, or you just want to be better at weight dips?

No specific goal except to get stronger.

Personally, i find that there's still lots of benefit from doing dips at higher reps (bodyweight only). Once i can do 20 dips, i will move my focus to more difficult version, like straight bar dips, korean dips, or weight dips.

This is something need to concert. Did you have experience with t.g.u before? Do you feel comfortable with swing and get up for now, or you still fixing/building the technique? What weight are you using right now? If you haven't felt comfortable yet with SnS, maybe you should be easy with dips and focus on SnS more.

I'm using 16 kg. I'm comfortable with the movements, but I am always trying to improve.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom