all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Questions....

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

OTR Driver

Level 1 Valued Member
I'm new here. Have a few questions. First, without writing a book. I did cure diabetes that was causing weight loss 15 years ago. 8 years ago a doctor diagnosed me as: A history of diabetes only. I was doing tons of exercise. Have learned much on exercise. Eating best I could. Five years ago, had an accident. Twisted my spine and snapped it like a whip. At first always had pain. Worked my way to the point I could walk 100 feet without pain.
Then, with problems with jobs. I got laid off. Became an OTR Truck driver. Simply the only thing I could do. Only thing I could get a job at. Started that Jan 1.
I goofed off completely the last four months. Drinking lots of hot chocolate. That has tons of sugar in it. I ruined my diabetes. A1c of 8.9. I also felt the effects lately. Bad effects, suffering.
I had brought my smallest kettlebell with me. Swung that only 5 times each arm. Made an immediate impact.

I finally got home after two months out. Got a book on diabetes by THE authority. Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. Guy is THE expert. He said in exercise to build muscle. Doesn't care if stronger or not. Build muscle to use blood sugar.
QUESTION: What do you think on kettlebell to do this?
Me personally.... For one. Since starting back on my kettlebell. I'm breaking through my fibromyalgia. Can walk farther without pain. Will keep going farther.
But on building muscle. I also think for me personally. I have limited time most of the week. I can get the most bang for the buck with kettlebells. I can whip out 5 each arm when I'm fueling up. The total body workout is great. Although kettlebells may not be the best muscle builder (body building). It is the best option for me. With all things considered. ..... Criticism?
I've started looking at Pavel's videos and reading books. I do think all I need to do now is to focus on those four kettlebell drills he talks about being first and most important. I've done TGU's before. They're great. I can see later. I think I'll get the most out of those four. ... Criticism?
Then maybe.... just for a goal. Look at certification in a year. Always need a goal. 15 years ago my goal was to run a baby ultra marathon 32 miles, 50K. I did it. It was the training that was important. The goal was for the training. I think this might be best with Kettlebells. The goal of certification. Criticism?

Welcome to the forum :)

What are the four exercises?

For me, the exercises that give the most 'bang for buck' would be : clean, press and squat. These would add to the swings and give you an easy strength building method

The 1h swings are fantastic. They definitely strengthen up lots of muscles that are all the way through your back and core, and your legs too. An eventual goal could be 100 swings a day - 50 per arm in sets of 10. This is recommended by Pavel.

Walking for over an hour at a time is an excellent idea.

I apologize as I failed to find the exact wording he used. It was at the end of a video. Summing things up. I do think you're basically on it. When I find It again. I'll post it.

I think I found the four. Still haven't found that piece of video though. I found it in the one day kettlebell class. It's: Squat, Swing, TGU, and Military Press. I still may be wrong. Someday I'll come across that piece of video.
I'm pretty sure I've found my answer to this year. It's Simple & Sinister. It appears to be what would fit me better than what I originally thought. I'm stopped half way through the book at the beginning of Sinister. I peeked. But going to be obedient and fulfill up to that point before studying the sinister part. ... I have to admit... I'm intimidated... 105 pound kettlebell for Sinister? :eek:

Although kettlebell's aren't the best muscle building tool, it can be done. In a nutshell, you need time under tension with about 60-70% of your one rep max. Time under tension can be achieved in a couple ways: allot of reps or doing lifts slowly (especially the eccentric portion) I'm guessing you have limited space and can't carry a bunch of kettlebells. If it were me I'd carry a kettlebell I could strict press about 3-5 reps with each arm and I'd press it, swing it, and squat it every chance I got. Sometimes I'd do as many reps I could and other times I'd slow grind reps. That's just what I'd do. You'll probably get other advice

Swing, squat, row variations, pressing and pushup variations.

With a solid selection of KBs you can put on mass but they are not the best (easiest to work with) tool without a good selection. It can be done, and if they are the best tool for your situation, you can make it work. I found stacking some smaller KBs - 10lb, 20lb with larger ones I was able to do drop sets and fine tune the rep ranges to get better hypertrophy.

You do need to work higher rep ranges overall - 8-12 giving you approx 40-60 seconds TUT. If you can work a variety of rep ranges with heavier and lighter weight you will get faster results than otherwise.

Are you going to be traveling and training out of your cab?

Are you going to be traveling and training out of your cab?

Yes. Or just trying to find a place near the truck. Usually at a Truck Stop. Can't be doing any TGU's in the parking lot of truck stops. They're filthy. There are usually places I can go at trucks stops that will work.
I do have the advantage of not hauling freight. I do bulk food grade, pneumatic trailer. I drive out and back. Don't have to drive at night. The most I can drive in a day is 11 hours. From the time I start. I can't work later than 14 hour later. That's federal regulations. I get a 34 hour break after 70 hours in 8 days. My job has been working out as doing one run in 4 to 5 days. Then sitting around town where the terminal is for 2 to 3 days. Might not continue. Also could.

Moving blankets at Harbor Freight are cheap. You can do getups on them if you find a private or semi-private space. Just a thought.. I use them when traveling and looking for a training spot.

Yes, but I actually think the windmill is better for that. I work in the oil field and drive all the time too. I developed allot of pain on the right side (gas peddle side). It starts in my hamstring and moves up to my hip. If it's really tight, it shoots up my back and goes down my calf (It's terrible) The only movement I found that relieves that "drivers leg" is the windmill. Because you drive that hip out and get that stretch in your hamstring, hip, and calf. It's been almost magical. I'm not saying the tgu isn't useful. I just think it gets outshined by other exercises. It's not what I'd do if I was that limited.

I have a pair of parallettes that the last driver left in the truck. Couldn't throw them out.
I'm sitting at home. Been here almost two weeks. My truck broke. They're not gonna fix it. Got a new one showing up on Thursday. I live 400 miles from the terminal.
The kettlebell I have in the truck is only a 12kg. I'm bringing my 16kg with me. I have a 24kg. Not bringing that yet. I have a ton of mobility to do. I'm not in good shape right now. Yet, I'm playing it smart (Pavel urges us to do). I'm doing a bunch of Goblin Squats, Hip Bridges, and Halo's. Working in other mobility that I know. Also dynamic stretching. Working in the swings and tgu's slowly. Even days rest in between. This is just for right now. I call it my remedial working out. :) I ain't gettin' injured. Oh and also needing more walking. Maybe even running? (so happy I can say that) ... Since I've been home, my blood sugar has gone from over 200, to less than 150 at anytime. My weight has gone from 200 to 194.
I know full well, if all I want to do is build muscle. Dumbbells. But it doesn't do near what Kettlebells do for overall health, actual strength, and physical conditioning. I've also seen where I can do many of the movements of dumbbells with kettlebells.
I avoid clubbells in any public setting because they appear like a weapon. I might change someday? Also that is too involved. Lots of time. I need simple, fast results. I get that with Kettlebells.
I have always had an issue with blood flow past my hip area. When I ran alot. I couldn't tolerate sitting for any length of time. Had to get up and walk to get blood flowing. The hip, lower half of the core of my body, was like a rock. I was told that I was overcompensated for running. That whole area of the body... Kettlebells do a ton to loosen and work it... a ton. Focuses on it. Here for the past five years I've been rather immobile. Kept telling myself I was gonna die. My legs are half of my heart, and I couldn't use them much. ..... Just to carry on. I remember doing between the leg passes with my kettlebell in a gym. A bodybuilder there looked at me. He was shocked, watching the muscles in my shins ripple when doing that.
I take what you people say on TGU's seriously. I can do them in the Drivers Lounge. As long as I don't interfere with the other drivers watching TV. Can also do them in the shower. They have private showers that are actually a huge complete bathroom. Really nice. Treat you like a king. Can do them in the picnic area. Or a grassy area around the store. It's not a problem. But keeping in mind your advise.
I sure appreciate the thoughts and advise on hypertrophy. Keep them coming. I realize that much of this in in planning what to do. I can spend time on my 34 doing much. But not on days I'm driving.
I remember Pavel saying in S&S.... The swing is the ying, the TGU is the yang. They work together... I've done TGU's. Love em.

Last edited:
Farmer walks.

C&P builds muscle. Squats build muscle. But kettlebells pale in comparison to barbells for building muscle.

If I were you i would do alot of 1hs, squats, and c&p. In time with double bells.

How about breathing exercisez ?

It's: Squat, Swing, TGU, and Military Press.

I'm pretty sure I've found my answer to this year. It's Simple & Sinister

You can 'easily' accomplish your goals working out of your truck using good programming and KB's. S&S is already laid out for you..

As for building muscle there are tons of strategies/programs involving C&P and squats. Chains, complexes, 5x5, GTG etc. or a combination. It's amazing what you can do with a few kettlebells in your rig and some knowledge.

You can 'easily' accomplish your goals working out of your truck using good programming and KB's. S&S is already laid out for you..

As for building muscle there are tons of strategies/programs involving C&P and squats. Chains, complexes, 5x5, GTG etc. or a combination. It's amazing what you can do with a few kettlebells in your rig and some knowledge.

I agree...Thank You...
I'm so glad I have the knowledge I do have. Also learning from the best; Pavel, on kettlebells.
One thing I didn't mention. Working with heavy weight and sandbags. I'm required to carry six tire chains on my truck for Oregon. And they check out of season. Give ya a ticket. I got one. That's two super single tire chains per bag. Play with those as part of a workout. hehe... It's just a thought for now. Concentrating on kettlebells. I'm very happy with what S&S has laid out for me.
Oh and BTW: I just found out. The company is getting me a brand new Volvo! Yes! Yes! Yes! Will be at the terminal Friday.

Just want you all to know that i appreciate the input on hypertrophy. Also all the thoughts. Im thinking.
Ive gotten back on the road. Got my new Volvo. Grin. Im working into just general physical conditioning right now. I need it. Working out good. Getting glucose readings of about 106. Do have some spikes. Due to something i failed to miss on eating. I know, with some focus. I can get down to 83 glucose.
Then on with S&S. With always thinking about hypertrophy.

Kettlebells absolutely can build muscle. Doing multiple sets of front squats and clean and presses with double beasts would certainly yield a " jacked " physique. They get a bad rap for building muscle. You may be limited as to the traditional movements you can do but what's available is simple and to the point.

Often I hear guys say that about kbells...you know the "well they just don't get heavy enough".....they need barbells and such.......they end up using less weight than with kbells! Again I ask if they can do double beasts!

You just have to know how to use them.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom