all posts post new thread

Kettlebell questions

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Kathy Yanda

Level 4 Valued Member
Hi, I am beginning the process of training for the SFG1 and I'm wondering if I should start with S&S for a while before I progress to the prep that Brett provides on the site? I hope to do the test in March or April unless other certs open up later in the year that I could get to (live on West coast). Have recently spent several months rehabbing from a powerlifting injury this past summer. This has brought me back to KB training. Just beginning to get comfortable with KB work again after years of focussing on other things. This video is just to give you a rough idea of my current status. I've been working using 8 kg for GU and snatch and 20 kg for swings. Here I tested 16 kg for press as well (1st time I've clean and pressed in years).

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks so much! Kathy

Background:
44 yrs, 140lbs, 5'6", BF? (see video above)

Injuries: currently cleared by doctor and physical therapist. Knee scope June 2015. Shoulder issues from several years of boxing training in my late 20's. Injured diaphram and intercostals in July 2016 prepping for a powerlifting competition. In rehab since July and in process of transitioning back to full training (4-5 days a week now). No current pain or limitations but cautious. Have had FMS and doing prep work to ensure proper glute and stabilizer activation before each workout.

Training History: Was on a boxing team (although did not do more than spar) in mid/late 20's for several years which led to some serious shoulder issues. Have trained in the Shadow school of Yoga since 2008 under Zhander Remete and his US teachers https://www.facebook.com/pg/shadowyoga/videos/?ref=page_internal and continue to practice. Learned KB training from Matt Peltz & Marianne Kane and did powerlifting training under Bret Contreres.

Goals: Recently CSCS certified and interning at a sports performance center. Would ultimately like to train others using kettlebells. Would like to do FMS cert soon as well. Would like to compete again but not sure in what. I have tried many forms of training. Some gave me incredible strength with restricted movement. Others gave me increased movement but left me with some weaknesses. Trying to find a healthy place in the middle that will work for me and also give me a method to help others.

@Kathy Yanda Great video you look like you are well in your way. Have you considered the 1-day SFG user course? IMO this would be an appropriate first step towards getting back into your kettlebell skills training. All the best!

@Kathy Yanda Great video you look like you are well in your way. Have you considered the 1-day SFG user course? IMO this would be an appropriate first step towards getting back into your kettlebell skills training. All the best!

Thanks Nathan! Yes, there is a local gym that has some SFGII trainers who plan to offer something in the future but not sure exactly when yet. I hope to get some one on one guidance from them soon. Just trying to get a general training program going as opposed to doing what I was doing previously which was more geared toward powerlifting.

Well on your way, Kathy! A few things to work on, but looking good. I think S&S for a couple of months would be great for you at this stage. You might also try some of the sessions in the plan in this article I wrote last year. PM me if I can help in any way.

I didn't know you could injure the diaphragm! Hope your recovery continues to go well.

All the best,
Anna

Well on your way, Kathy! A few things to work on, but looking good. I think S&S for a couple of months would be great for you at this stage. You might also try some of the sessions in the plan in this article I wrote last year. PM me if I can help in any way.

I didn't know you could injure the diaphragm! Hope your recovery continues to go well.

All the best,
Anna

Thank you for the feedback Anna! Your post was what made me consider S&S. I just wasn't sure about how much time I needed to focus on S&S vs. strict prep from where I am now. I am sort of feeling like I'm not quite ready for the actual cert training yet in terms of both volume and stability. I just got the S&S book yesterday. Have been reading it this morning and loving it!

Sounds great! If you have the time, I would guess 4 months of S&S, then 2-3 months of specific SFG prep would serve you well. How quickly you can build strength and endurance depends on a lot of other factors -- recovery, other life stress, your rehab -- so it's hard to say exactly. I felt like I had a comfortable margin; if I had been 80% as ready as I was, I might have still squeaked by... any less than that and I wouldn't have been able to pass or perform everything that was required. But being really ready made me so much more comfortable and I really enjoyed the weekend. I was not stressed, and I soaked up a lot of details about teaching others that I might have missed if I was overly worried about my own performance. So I'd definitely say don't rush it; the journey towards the SFG cert is very rewarding in itself. Sounds like it's just right for you and will be a great goal to accomplish!

If you do Audible, check out that version of the book, too. Ready by Pavel T; it's great. Yet another way to experience it. And of course this recent article by Pavel M. which you've probably seen. Solid: In-Between Simple & Sinister

This is something that is of interest to me :) Looking to do the certification in the UK in October 2017. Currently trying to do S&S twice a week with the Prometheus Protocol also twice a week. I need to do a form check video and get advice from you guys.

I need to re-read the S&S book again, as probably not doing it correctly. Using 10 minutes of every min on the min and performing 15 1H swings with a 20kg at the moment. Approx 28 secs work, so 32 secs rest and feeling OK at the end.

Good luck with the training @Kathy Yanda . Are you keeping a training log? Might be worth keeping one on here and a paper one as well.......

@Kathy Yanda and @Inky - Welcome to StrongFirst!

Kathy, you've received great suggestions above. Take the user course or, even better, work with someone individually to help you with your form on a few things.

IMHO, your best bet, if you have time, is to achieve Simple with your getups and swings and then move into the prep program for the cert.

-S-

Thank you Steve!

I wanted you all to see where I am struggling in that video to help direct me better. I appreciate your guidance. I will work with an SFGII instructor here soon but it might be a couple of weeks at least. Until then I will keep working on S&S.

I am almost through reading the S&S book now. I did the 2nd workout this morning. The first one seemed really easy so I went up today. I've included a video of my last set of 10 x 10 x 40 kg. The entire drill of swings and TGU without the warmup took 15 mins. and was not overly challenging. I was never really winded.

I was going to try to mix in one handed swings. Is it ok to use a lighter weight to do those sets or are you supposed to wait till you can do it with the same weight you use for two hands? Also, do I need to get deeper into the hinge here? Still working on getting the 4 count vs 2 count swing down.

Thanks,
Kathy

This is something that is of interest to me :) Looking to do the certification in the UK in October 2017. Currently trying to do S&S twice a week with the Prometheus Protocol also twice a week. I need to do a form check video and get advice from you guys.

I need to re-read the S&S book again, as probably not doing it correctly. Using 10 minutes of every min on the min and performing 15 1H swings with a 20kg at the moment. Approx 28 secs work, so 32 secs rest and feeling OK at the end.

Good luck with the training @Kathy Yanda . Are you keeping a training log? Might be worth keeping one on here and a paper one as well.......

Just posted my first log. Thanks for the idea! Good luck to you as well!

Hi Kathy,
A couple of things stood out to me in your swing video:

Right now your hinge is a three part affair: break at the knees, then break at the hips, then continue to drop your shoulders. You want all three things to happen smoothly together, and delay initiating the hinge until you arms just about make contact with your torso.

--Start with bell a little closer to you.
--You initiate the drop of the bell by bending your knees and dropping your hips straight down with your torso upright. Stay tall until your arms come down with the bell and hinge by driving your hips back.
--After you hips have stopped moving back, you continue to fold forward with your torso inclining further toward the ground. The shoulders should move forward to balance the hips moving backward, and they should start and finish together.
--Sit back deeper into your hinge. As it is, you are folding forward more than sitting back.

Hope this helps.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom