all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Quick and Dead

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I pre-ordered it at Amazon.com for delivery to Germany. I got an update from Amazon today - my estimated delivery date is August 2 - August 6, 2019 now.

My estimated delivery is "Arriving Aug 15 - Sep 5"

Ordered July 22.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong. I strongly recommend anyone to purchase the book, mainly because the author(s) deserve some kind of reward and because in-depth knowledge is always better.

But, having said that...

You don't need to know the whys to make S&S or 5/3/1 work. You just need to do the work.

Let me rephrase that: the only thing you really need to make kata guruma work are uchikomi and, later on, randori. Nothing else is needed.

But, of course, having some knowledge of why things work might be even better.
There are different levels of understanding. Some have simplified 5/3/1 down to just doing 5 then 3 then 1. Others actually use calculators and progressions. Having read FIVE of Wendlers books, there's more understanding available than a sentence or a spreadsheet. Not everyone needs to know how and why though.

... "some" publishers (I am not saying this is the case with Q&D) ... I am in absolutely no way saying Strong First would ever do anything like this

@Sean M, I find the comments quoted above passive-aggressive; I chose not to respond to them in the earlier posts, and that continues to be my choice, save to reply to you since you asked about them specifically.

I am uninvolved with the details of Q&D's release dates, publishing, electronic versions, availability of the book overseas, and anything else that's been asked. I'm sorry for anyone's disappointment or inconvenience.

What I have been told is that there were problems we didn't expect.

We're doing the best can to get Q&D into everyone's hands as soon as possible. That was true before the release date and it's still true now.

-S-

Anybody from StrongFirst HQ have any idea when the kindle or audible versions will be available? Date? I communicated with Amazon and they said it is in the publishers hands. Not trying to beat a dead horse but I just wonder why there was a release date before even the paperback was even ready to ship. On SF Instagram page on release date said to be patient because they were getting ready to ship them to amazon and that amazon would have to get them in there system before they shipped. Thats just confusing to me in 2019. Not that I’m on a need to know basis. Nobody owes me an explanation that’s for sure. As a long time follower of SF and RKC long ago it’s just confusing for a company to roll out a product like this when it was hyped for 2 weeks leading up. I don’t remember this happening on S&S.

Well, my 2 cents.

Im just happy to have Pavel as my "coach". Ive gotten far more from Pavel than he will ever get from me.

looking forward to Q&D even though as an attendee of Strong endurance I think I already have much of the data.

A few more days or weeks waiting for something Im not owed surely isn't worth fussing about.

Well, my 2 cents.

Im just happy to have Pavel as my "coach". Ive gotten far more from Pavel than he will ever get from me.

looking forward to Q&D even though as an attendee of Strong endurance I think I already have much of the data.

A few more days or weeks waiting for something Im not owed surely isn't worth fussing about.

Couldn’t agree with you more!

I haven't purchased the book yet but I will in the next few days. I'm really looking forward to reading it!

I am training for a power lifting meet in September using the 10/20/Life methodology and Brian Carroll's coaching. Things are going very well for me!

After the meet, my original plan was to build a minimalistic GPP/health focused exercise program centered around heavy alactic snatching (while still doing some power lifting via 10/20/Life), and maybe some double kettlebell work. But maybe I will be able to incorporate some new learning's from Pavel's new book.

I have purchased the following of Pavel's work: RKC, ETK, ETK+, ROTK, NW, PTTP, PTTP+, Beyond Bodybuilding, Super Joints, Relax Into Stretch, Easy Strength, S&S, Plan Strong class and Manual, Reload, and the numerous MILO journal articles ( I might be forgetting a few). I have never been disappointed and I've taken something away from each piece of work. I'm also turning 40 years of age and this book may be what I need to kick start my conditioning. I've always been focused on S&C (strength and conditioning) but it's always been more S and less C! Really looking forward to reading the next one and continuously learning!

Thank you Pavel and the StrongFirst team!

Regards,

Eric

@ctousry, as I've said before on the forum, and am lately repeating several times per day, we are doing the best we can to deal with problems we didn't foresee, and we'll get everything out to everyone as soon as possible.

Thanks.

-S-

I have 2 questions about the book:
  1. What is considered "advanced" in the context of Q&D?
  2. Does the book go into detail on how the various protocols were tested before the specific one was chosen? That is, who were the subjects? What outcomes were measured and how?

@IonRod

1. Simple (from Simple and Sinister) is mentioned as a good place to be in order to start using Q&D. Please see also the two excerpt articles published here:

The Tale of Two Leopards: An Excerpt from The Quick and the Dead | StrongFirst

“Masters of Life and Death” —An Excerpt from The Quick and the Dead | StrongFirst

2. You'll see, even at the bottom of the second article I linked to immediately above, 9 different studies or books. The book isn't intended to be a scientific paper but lots of science is mentioned and there are plenty of things you can follow up on. Unfortunately, I think many of them are only available in Russian.

Please read the two articles above.

Thanks.

-S-

@IonRod

1. Simple (from Simple and Sinister) is mentioned as a good place to be in order to start using Q&D. Please see also the two excerpt articles published here:

The Tale of Two Leopards: An Excerpt from The Quick and the Dead | StrongFirst

“Masters of Life and Death” —An Excerpt from The Quick and the Dead | StrongFirst

2. You'll see, even at the bottom of the second article I linked to immediately above, 9 different studies or books. The book isn't intended to be a scientific paper but lots of science is mentioned and there are plenty of things you can follow up on. Unfortunately, I think many of them are only available in Russian.

Please read the two articles above.

Thanks.

-S-
I actually know Russian, so that won't be a problem. I have read both articles. My first question is answered, thank you, Steve.

As for my second question, I am not expecting the book to be a scientific paper. My expectation is much simpler - will there be a description of how were the test subjects chosen and what specific outcomes were measured before and after different protocols? As I understand, whatever protocol is recommended in Q&D is the one that improved those metrics the most.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom