all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Quick and easy question

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
So....just got done doing a Q&D and did the push ups as per the video provided by Don F. (Thank you by the way). I realize that they work the muscles very differently than doing them in any number of different methods. My personal impression was that 10 reps goes extremely quickly, which may be the goal.
They were definitely not as difficult as taking ones hands off the mat at the bottom of each rep.
They were not nearly as difficult as lowering the body very slowly and then exploding upward each rep.
So...if someone can explain, in layman's terms what the benefits are in doing them as per the video as opposed to the other methods I'd greatly appreciate it.
Please understand that I'm not dissing anything nor anyone, rather I'm just looking for understanding. I'm a huge proponent of "bang for you buck", so if I'm going to spend the time doing them I'd like to know why.
Thanks.
In simple terms, the primary objective is maximising ATP depletion within a defined time window. Starting at the bottom increases the energy required for the first rep significantly.
If you want biggest "bang for your buck" then I'd highly recommend reading the book ?

In simple terms, the primary objective is maximising ATP depletion within a defined time window. Starting at the bottom increases the energy required for the first rep significantly.
If you want biggest "bang for your buck" then I'd highly recommend reading the book ?
I have read the book...several times. I was simply commenting on my observation that doing the push ups in rapid fire "Power" style per the video is far easier than slow down, hands off the ground and then exploding upward.
I am a huge fan of Pavel's teachings and have been following them since 1994...to a tee.
I simply would like to know exactly "why" the rapid fire...which one must admit are pretty darn easy are more beneficial than the other method which is considerably more difficult. Hence the bang for your buck comments.
Incidentally, I've noticed that when someone questions Pavel's writings some people seem to take personal offence. Pavel often changes his programs based on new findings and I cannot imagine that he would take offence to someone wanting more information. I gather he's well beyond that.

So....just got done doing a Q&D and did the push ups as per the video provided by Don F. (Thank you by the way). I realize that they work the muscles very differently than doing them in any number of different methods. My personal impression was that 10 reps goes extremely quickly, which may be the goal.
They were definitely not as difficult as taking ones hands off the mat at the bottom of each rep.
They were not nearly as difficult as lowering the body very slowly and then exploding upward each rep.
So...if someone can explain, in layman's terms what the benefits are in doing them as per the video as opposed to the other methods I'd greatly appreciate it.
Please understand that I'm not dissing anything nor anyone, rather I'm just looking for understanding. I'm a huge proponent of "bang for you buck", so if I'm going to spend the time doing them I'd like to know why.
Thanks.
Q&D is Power, power is velocity, not time under tension and feel the burn etc. Think speed.
Some folks will need to start at the top planked position.
You could get smoked on push ups on other training days, or make your own protocols.
And sounds to me like you need some monster bands or a good weight vest.

And you can generate more force without the fatigue of the slow eccentric.

Last edited:
I have read the book...several times. I was simply commenting on my observation that doing the push ups in rapid fire "Power" style per the video is far easier than slow down, hands off the ground and then exploding upward.
I am a huge fan of Pavel's teachings and have been following them since 1994...to a tee.
I simply would like to know exactly "why" the rapid fire...which one must admit are pretty darn easy are more beneficial than the other method which is considerably more difficult. Hence the bang for your buck comments.
Incidentally, I've noticed that when someone questions Pavel's writings some people seem to take personal offence. Pavel often changes his programs based on new findings and I cannot imagine that he would take offence to someone wanting more information. I gather he's well beyond that.
Sorry, not trying to cause offence.
To add to @Don Fairbanks reply, the book is about power training whereas his previous works have been on strength training.

Fantastic answers! Thank you gentlemen for clearing that up.
I can see how the different protocols have different "purposes ".
I'll be doing the "Power Push Ups" as described while on Q&D. Then opt for the other methods during a different cycle.
Thanks again.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom