all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Quick and the Dead alternative exercises

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I dig the idea, though I’m not quite sure it’s what I was looking for. It does look like a pretty great conditioning program, though. I agree with the above that I’m not quite sure that it’s a quick and the dead program, but that’s for better people than me to decide. It does look like a great program/workout though, I dig it!
Another option that Pavel suggest in the chapter « each chooses for one self » : you could subsitute KB swings with jump squats (as high as you can).

Hello,

@HibouBleu
When doing burpees, to get a real "all-out" effort, I enjoy doing them with a "high knee jump". This version is slightly harder than the standard version. Doing it will reduce the number of repetitions you do, I think.

Ten of these, every 3 minutes sound a great practice.

Kind regards,

Pet'
I think this kind of burpees are also called « tuck jump burpees ».
Great idea.
Thank you for those advices.

« Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication »...
I use to say « la simplicité c’est l’efficacité » (I’m french), that could be translate with « simplicity is efficiency ». So, I agree with you.

Kind regards.

The positive with burpee is that it involves many muscle groups and enables maximal expression of power with long range of motion (chapter « power drills of choice »).
I meant that in the chapter « power drills of choice », Pavel Tsatsouline says that the Q&D exercises need to involve many muscle groups and enable maximal epression of power with long range of motion, and I think (maybe I’m wrong) that burpees do.

Sorry for this language mistake.

Without too much detail, it’s a large “cabin” in the woods. Other than a pair of Olympic Rings I won’t have access to any equipment.

A cabin in the woods? Then chances are it has an axe or two stowed somewhere.
An hour a day of splitting logs or hacking and collecting dead wood is all you need. You'll earn the right to wear a flannel shirt within a week.

A cabin in the woods? Then chances are it has an axe or two stowed somewhere.
An hour a day of splitting logs or hacking and collecting dead wood is all you need. You'll earn the right to wear a flannel shirt within a week.
Shockingly, no axe in sight. In the middle of a boreal forest, and not an axe to be found.

Shockingly, no axe in sight. In the middle of a boreal forest, and not an axe to be found.

Inexcusable!!!

For future excursions, get yourself a short-handle broad axe... "fits nicely in a plane's overhead compartment."

Effectively, this program is not exactly Q&D.

I think the main problem with burpees is that muscles don’t constantly work.

I think it's the same problem as Pavel talks about with the C+J. You just can't cycle fast enough so while the whole body gets a big hit overall each muscle specifically isn't getting much. For example, 10 swings is going to take ~15 seconds, but 10 burpees are taking 30. Burpees are great, but to get the same effect as Q+D you might be better off alternating push ups and jump squats (basically breaking a burpee in half).

I think it's the same problem as Pavel talks about with the C+J. You just can't cycle fast enough so while the whole body gets a big hit overall each muscle specifically isn't getting much. For example, 10 swings is going to take ~15 seconds, but 10 burpees are taking 30. Burpees are great, but to get the same effect as Q+D you might be better off alternating push ups and jump squats (basically breaking a burpee in half).
Just as a thought, I hadn’t really considered the burpee as the sum of its parts. But, as you regarded it as being a push up and jump squat, I would wonder if it would work in a similar fashion as the snatch? Doing fewer, 4-10, along the lines of Plan 044. It might be worth considering!

2H swings and pushups
1H swings and pushups
2 kb swings and pushups

Same combo of swings and dips

Snatches
2 kb snatches
2 kb high pulls

Viking push press

That's a lot of variation once you add 10 reps EMOM or 5 reps every :30" ....

On the double movement like double snatch I would do 5 reps EMOM like the 10 reps... only to cut down on the acid buildup since both sides are working at once (no rest btw arms)

Last edited:
Just as a thought, I hadn’t really considered the burpee as the sum of its parts. But, as you regarded it as being a push up and jump squat, I would wonder if it would work in a similar fashion as the snatch? Doing fewer, 4-10, along the lines of Plan 044. It might be worth considering!
Other options for « burpees workout » :

5 (full power) burpees EMOM. Only 5 burpees (it takes ~ 15 sec) on the minute enables a 1/3 work to rest ratio (alactic interval training). Stop when fail the talk test.

10 full power burpees every 3 minutes. 6 to 10 rounds. 10 burpees takes ~ 30 sec, maybe it is a little bit long for acid build up.

I guess effect will not exactly be the same that Q&D, but it enables to practice workout anywhere. You only need a ground...

Other options for « burpees workout » :

5 (full power) burpees EMOM. Only 5 burpees (it takes ~ 15 sec) on the minute enables a 1/3 work to rest ratio (alactic interval training). Stop when fail the talk test.

10 full power burpees every 3 minutes. 6 to 10 rounds. 10 burpees takes ~ 30 sec, maybe it is a little bit long for acid build up.

I guess effect will not exactly be the same that Q&D, but it enables to practice workout anywhere. You only need a ground...
I’m really interested in the idea of trying burpees at a form of Q&D training. I think that if one were to do something like the “Long sprint test” that it would be quite feasible to use the burpee for Q&D. I personally have used EMOM burpees in the past and love it as a conditioning drill. I’ve used that and Tabata as short term conditioning to boost performance right before races.

@Steve Freides what is your thoughts on using the burpee in place of the snatch for Plan 044? My assumption is that it’s still inferior to the snatch for overall power development. However, if someone where to use it temporarily while traveling, do you think it would work? Also, would it be programmed by averaging numbers for a 15 second sprint, or should one stick to clusters of 5 and 10 for the reasons listed in the book? Cheers!

Inexcusable!!!

For future excursions, get yourself a short-handle broad axe... "fits nicely in a plane's overhead compartment."

That’s a fantastic bit! I’m partial to a wetterlings American forest axe myself. Ha!

Q&D Cabin In the Woods protocol 123, except find a 10 degree hill and move faster, alt with pwr push ups with one foot on log. and could put some rocks in a back pack.

@Steve Freides what is your thoughts on using the burpee in place of the snatch for Plan 044? My assumption is that it’s still inferior to the snatch for overall power development. However, if someone where to use it temporarily while traveling, do you think it would work? Also, would it be programmed by averaging numbers for a 15 second sprint, or should one stick to clusters of 5 and 10 for the reasons listed in the book? Cheers!
I have no clue, sorry. It's not an exercise I've ever done.

-S-

No worries, @Bear92 - always happy to help when I can. I have only bad memories of some burpee-like thing we used to do in my TKD classes. Form was all over the map, and for that reason, I've stayed away from them.

-S-

No worries, @Bear92 - always happy to help when I can. I have only bad memories of some burpee-like thing we used to do in my TKD classes. Form was all over the map, and for that reason, I've stayed away from them.

-S-
That is fair, I’ve worked with guys going into the military who have had appalling burpee form.

I think you still face the same problem as C+J that fatigue is too spread out. And I think in practice you'd find that the push up and squat jump both lose power compared to when done separately. It seems to me like it might be very effective for conditioning, but maybe less so for power.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom