all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Quick and the Dead alternative exercises

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Bear92

Level 2 Valued Member
Okay, so I love the Quick and the Dead training! I’ve been doing it almost exclusively during quarantine, and all this jazz with the virus. Now, I’m supposed to travel soon and I want to continue my training but don’t have the ability to take my kettlebell. What are some alternatives to the swing?

Obviously there’s the jump squat listed in the chapter “Each chooses for oneself”, but I’m interested in what everyone else thinks would be some good options!

I've been enjoying sprints and pushups. For sprints, instead of distance, count the number of same-side foot strikes and use normal 5/4 and 10/2 timing. 5 foot strikes gets me about 20m. 10 foot strikes gets me about 40m

I've been enjoying sprints and pushups. For sprints, instead of distance, count the number of same-side foot strikes and use normal 5/4 and 10/2 timing. 5 foot strikes gets me about 20m. 10 foot strikes gets me about 40m
Awesome! I used to use something similar for track and field. I love the idea of counting foot falls rather than pushing for a specific distance or time. That would definitely work for keeping a high power output.

Okay, so I love the Quick and the Dead training! I’ve been doing it almost exclusively during quarantine, and all this jazz with the virus. Now, I’m supposed to travel soon and I want to continue my training but don’t have the ability to take my kettlebell. What are some alternatives to the swing?

Obviously there’s the jump squat listed in the chapter “Each chooses for oneself”, but I’m interested in what everyone else thinks would be some good options!

How would you use the squat jump instead of the swing, just do 5 or 10 depending on the die?

How would you use the squat jump instead of the swing, just do 5 or 10 depending on the die?
From what it says in Quick and the Dead I would say that the jump squats should be done in sets of 10. It says that you can replace the swings with the jump squats so either 5 or 10 could work, but it also says that sets of 10 can produce an increase in testosterone and hypertrophy.

First of all, I don’t speak english very well ; sorry for language mistakes.

When I can’t use kettlebell, I do burpees and pull ups.

Burpees are push up and jumps.
So for the push ups, I push as hard as I can, and for the jumps, I jump as high as I can.

Maybe I’m wrong, but I think that high jumps are similar to swing, for lower body.

For upper back, I do pull ups.

I use the protocol mentionned in the chapter each chooses for oneself. When the timer starts at 00:00, I do 10 burpees. At 01:30, I do 6 pull ups (10 is too much for me, I keep gas in the tank for next sets). At 03:00, 10 burpees. At 04:30, 6 pull ups, etc...

However, I mean if 10 burpees is not too much. Because I jump as high as I can, it take me 30 seconds to do 10 burpees.

In Q&D, Pavel says15 seconds of all out effort +/- 5 seconds is optimal (So, 5-6 burpees).
He also says that we have to do 10 reps every 3 minutes.

What do you think about this ?

So for the push ups, I push as hard as I can, and for the jumps, I jump as high as I can.

Maybe I’m wrong, but I think that high jumps are similar to swing, for lower body.

I use the protocol mentionned in the chapter each chooses for oneself. When the timer starts at 00:00, I do 10 burpees. At 01:30, I do 6 pull ups (10 is too much for me, I keep gas in the tank for next sets). At 03:00, 10 burpees. At 04:30, 6 pull ups, etc...

However, I mean if 10 burpees is not too much. Because I jump as high as I can, it take me 30 seconds to do 10 burpees.

In Q&D, Pavel says15 seconds of all out effort +/- 5 seconds is optimal (So, 5-6 burpees).

I doubt you are doing Q&D any longer based on the time you are spending doing exercises and the exercises iou have chosen — but I’m not an expert. No doubt what you’re doing is hard, though!

I dig the idea, though I’m not quite sure it’s what I was looking for. It does look like a pretty great conditioning program, though. I agree with the above that I’m not quite sure that it’s a quick and the dead program, but that’s for better people than me to decide. It does look like a great program/workout though, I dig it!

Hec G ran a whole month long program on the Q&D series and circuits idea/format... he typically alternates a ballistic and grind... I ran it for 3 weeks and enjoyed it, even has asymmetrical bell work in there

Strong as hec on youtube!

Hello,

@HibouBleu
When doing burpees, to get a real "all-out" effort, I enjoy doing them with a "high knee jump". This version is slightly harder than the standard version. Doing it will reduce the number of repetitions you do, I think.

Ten of these, every 3 minutes sound a great practice.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I doubt you are doing Q&D any longer based on the time you are spending doing exercises and the exercises iou have chosen — but I’m not an expert. No doubt what you’re doing is hard, though!
Effectively, this program is not exactly Q&D.

I think the main problem with burpees is that muscles don’t constantly work. I mean that when I do the push up, my legs, glutes and lower back don’t work. When I jump, my chest doesn’t work. However, « rest time » is very short.

The positive with burpee is that it involves many muscle groups and enables maximal expression of power with long range of motion (chapter « power drills of choice »).

That’s why I chose burpee as first exercise.

For the second exercise, I thought it had to be a « pull exercise », for upper back. Pull ups seemed the best option.

Maybe I have to try another protocol to be closer than Q&D.
I could try 6 burpees (~15 seconds effort)1st minute, 6 burpees 2nd minute, rest 3rd minute, 6 pull ups 4th minute, 6 pull ups 5th minute, rest 6th minute, etc...

But I’m not an expert neither.

Kind regards.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom