Quick & Dead and Sleep.

Discussion in 'Kettlebell' started by Tom Furman, Sep 17, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Tom Furman

Tom Furman Still New to StrongFirst Forum

Simply observation, anecdote and N=1. Myself and others get deeper sleep on Q&D workout days.
    Has anyone else noticed this phenomena?

2. william bad butt

william bad butt More than 300 posts

I notice that I sleep better on days I train harder, specifically whe I lift heavy with a barbell. Are you saying that you sleep, "deeper", on Q&D vs other training programs (like S&S or whatever)?

Eric

Tom Furman likes this.
  3. Tom Furman

4. Steve Freides

Steve Freides StrongFirst Director of Community Engagement Staff Member Senior Instructor

@Tom Furman, very interesting! I will have to start taking note of this and see if it applies to me as well. Thank you for bringing up this point.

-S-

Johnsonville and Tom Furman like this.
  5. ali

ali Quadruple-Digit Post Count

Yes for me too.
    I had a period of not sleeping well that I put down to red lining the intensity side of things with sprinting. It doesn't take much speed volume to overdo things - at least for me. Off sprints now and doing Q&D and sleeping well.
    As with all things stress related there are so many nuanced variables but if I were to generalise, again for me, it is linked (from an exercise viewpoint only) to neural excitement. I wouldn't say overtraining per se but certainly the frequency of intensity matters.
    Q&D, like S&S, is low on neural input. And, by design, low stress, metabolically and physiologically, the movement patterns being less complex. So there is just the right amount of stress allowing good recovery - and sleep.
    Also, I don't eat so much. I'm lean, sprinting is so demanding of energy that I eat all the time in training and post competition. At the moment rarely am I hungry. I don't count calories and use my eyeballs so no idea of numbers but about halved according to eyes and belly monitors.
    So all in all, excellent. Get me some sleep, get a bit leaner and stronger before red lining it again. Ooops.

Tom Furman and Discipulus like this.
  6. Sauli

Sauli Quadruple-Digit Post Count

@Tom Furman now when you mentioned that I think I sleep better and perhaps also longer.. I also go to bed bit earlier.

Tom Furman likes this.
  7. Tom Furman

I'm using Sit Through's [5/5] in place of push ups on occasion. I referred to this as, "Workout In A Small Space". If you are a grappler, this works out well. It's a nice combination. I've done an article on that based on my experiments. I won't link to it since I want to be respectful of the community here. However it's not hard to figure out.

Discipulus likes this.
  8. Steve Freides

Steve Freides StrongFirst Director of Community Engagement Staff Member Senior Instructor

@Tom Furman, I think your article link is probably fine. Please post it, or PM me if you want first.

Thanks.

-S-

9. Tom Furman

strawdog, Marc and william bad butt like this.
  10. Tjerr

Tjerr Double-Digit Post Count Certified Instructor

I have a Whoop device which measures my day strain and recovery. Since doing Q&D 3 times a week my recovery's are way higher. I even had a 5, then 1 one yellow day, and 9 day streak in the green! (recovery higher than 70%).

Bauer and Steve Freides like this.
  11. Steve Freides

@Tjerr, if you haven’t already, please post a review of Q&D on amazon.com.

That goes for everyone else, too, btw. :)

-S-

Tjerr likes this.
  12. Damiola

Damiola Double-Digit Post Count

There are couple of variants of sit throughs with kettle bells. Unfortunately the only videos demonstrating them is in Russian which, I understand, is not permitted on this forum.

13. Steve Freides

@Damiola, we ask only that videos be things most of our forum users can understand. The forum's language is English, and videos in other languages with subtitles are perfectly acceptable.

-S-

14. Damiola

Damiola Double-Digit Post Count

No subtitles, but very clearly demonstrated exercises. Never mind, whoever is interested can pm me.