all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Quick & Dead and Sleep.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Tom Furman

Level 4 Valued Member
Simply observation, anecdote and N=1. Myself and others get deeper sleep on Q&D workout days.
Has anyone else noticed this phenomena?

I notice that I sleep better on days I train harder, specifically whe I lift heavy with a barbell. Are you saying that you sleep, "deeper", on Q&D vs other training programs (like S&S or whatever)?

Eric

Yes for me too.
I had a period of not sleeping well that I put down to red lining the intensity side of things with sprinting. It doesn't take much speed volume to overdo things - at least for me. Off sprints now and doing Q&D and sleeping well.
As with all things stress related there are so many nuanced variables but if I were to generalise, again for me, it is linked (from an exercise viewpoint only) to neural excitement. I wouldn't say overtraining per se but certainly the frequency of intensity matters.
Q&D, like S&S, is low on neural input. And, by design, low stress, metabolically and physiologically, the movement patterns being less complex. So there is just the right amount of stress allowing good recovery - and sleep.
Also, I don't eat so much. I'm lean, sprinting is so demanding of energy that I eat all the time in training and post competition. At the moment rarely am I hungry. I don't count calories and use my eyeballs so no idea of numbers but about halved according to eyes and belly monitors.
So all in all, excellent. Get me some sleep, get a bit leaner and stronger before red lining it again. Ooops.

I'm using Sit Through's [5/5] in place of push ups on occasion. I referred to this as, "Workout In A Small Space". If you are a grappler, this works out well. It's a nice combination. I've done an article on that based on my experiments. I won't link to it since I want to be respectful of the community here. However it's not hard to figure out.

I have a Whoop device which measures my day strain and recovery. Since doing Q&D 3 times a week my recovery's are way higher. I even had a 5, then 1 one yellow day, and 9 day streak in the green! (recovery higher than 70%).

@Tjerr, if you haven’t already, please post a review of Q&D on amazon.com.

That goes for everyone else, too, btw. :)

-S-

There are couple of variants of sit throughs with kettle bells. Unfortunately the only videos demonstrating them is in Russian which, I understand, is not permitted on this forum.

@Damiola, we ask only that videos be things most of our forum users can understand. The forum's language is English, and videos in other languages with subtitles are perfectly acceptable.

-S-

No subtitles, but very clearly demonstrated exercises. Never mind, whoever is interested can pm me.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom