all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Quick forward bend between swing sets in S&S?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
In Simple and Sinister Pavel writes that you should be able to do 10x10 one arm swings in 5 minutes comfortably before progressing the weight. He says the goal is 1:1 Work-Rest-Ratio, so 15 seconds work and rest for each set. When I timed my sets I noticed it takes me around 18-19 seconds at maximum effort, making my rest time pretty short when aiming for the 5 minutes. I tried both two arm swings with 24kg and one arm swings with 16kg. I can do both in 5 minutes anyway (16kg one arm comfortably and 24kg two arm barely). Currently I want to work on getting more comfortable with the 24kg two arm swings in five minutes and slowly introduce 24kg one arm swings.
I'm pretty sure that, in the new S&S he writes that the first time you should be doing the test is when your own Timeless Simple. So, the 5 min Friday testing session doesn't kick in until you are comfortably using the 32 for both swings and GU using the talk test.

@Pavel Macek could tell us more about when/how/why the Jefferson curl could be done. I've not ever done it, myself.

I've actually done them as an accessory for weightlifting.

FWIW, I do mine with an empty barbell.

The rationale for weightlifters, as stated by Greg Everett:

Purpose

The Jefferson curl provides low level loading in complete back and hip flexion to strengthen the back in positions and motions it’s rarely used and consequently tends to be vulnerable in. It serves as a protective exercise and can help with hip and back mobility.

Like the side plank, and anti-rotation exercises, its purpose is to help you when you get out of alignment on a bad lift.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom