all posts post new thread

Kettlebell quite surprised, or the gold of the get up

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Hello,

Now, how do you practice it : on a GTG here and there or in a structured routine ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

Now, how do you practice it : on a GTG here and there or in a structured routine ?
Currently, I like to GTG the get up. Since Christmas I used 50k "only".

I do a get up and like to play around with bits of stretching, handstands, bridges, bit of ring work, hanging on my Sprossenwand...

Lately I find much variation in the get up, sometimes floor press the bell, a few roll to elbow, or a few lunges, sometimes high bridges, sometimes super slow...

I think in spring I will reintroduce the bar.

Yesterday and today I practiced something new with the get-up with a light weight (16kg). As a variation of the get-up with extra 5-seconds or so at each position, I did it with breath timing. One slow, deep inhale and partial exhale at each position, with the rest of the exhale on the transition to the next position, ensuring a little extra tension in the abs and torso with that remainder of the exhale. I really like it. Reminds me of yoga where you usually move on the exhale. One get-up took me 1 min and 10 seconds this way, with the slow breath at 11 positions (floor press with arm straight, elbow, tall sit, tripod, kneeling, standing, kneeling, tripod, tall sit, elbow, floor press with arm straight). Not sure if I invented this, but can't recall ever hearing of it before. Thoughts? Try it and see if you like it?

@Anna C, sounds good. Breathing option is something I've not done, going to add that one in. I'm enjoying light get ups at the moment. Someone posted a Czech get up variation a while back, I really like it. I was playing today with different variations of different ways to get up and getting down again......having a targeted focus on my jammed up hips, using the hip hinge from different angles. My lower back, upper glutes feel a lot looser! Absolutely though, get up variations, a lot of fun.

...the get up....just keeps me grounded, that is obvious and literally.

@Anna C: breathing attention. I am discovering, that I use less pressurisation in my get ups. I am breathing more and more "easily and relaxed" with my no brainer 50k. I am getting more relaxed, as I playful extend my getting up time through rolling to elbow up and down and/or lunging up and down.

digging further into the get up...
At SFG2 Tamer teaching the get up, told something about the arch. Like the arch in the bench press. Getting tight with the arc. It definitely makes the floor press, stronger, safer, easier. It is the base, for getting to the elbow. Sometimes it takes time and some more, to get a grasp.

Re: breathing in the TGU
I've just recently returned to S&S ( I achieved Simple about a year ago) , and am mixing a 40K in the TGU while swinging the 32K .
I've found that the same breathing as the swings- 2 sharp inhales through the nose, a sharp exhale -- provides me enough air and keeps me tight, breathing behind the shield.

Thoughts?

Hello,

I inhale through the nose, but exhale through the mouth.
In that thread, some post are related to swings: Deadlift Breathing

Kind regards,

Pet'

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: breathing in the TGU
I've just recently returned to S&S ( I achieved Simple about a year ago) , and am mixing a 40K in the TGU while swinging the 32K .
I've found that the same breathing as the swings- 2 sharp inhales through the nose, a sharp exhale -- provides me enough air and keeps me tight, breathing behind the shield.

Thoughts?

from Kettlebell: Simple and Sinister (kindle position 113):
Andrey Kochergin, a Russian Special Forces vet and full contact karate master, likes to use Asian terminology to classify different types of breathing and muscular contractions. He explains that Yin breathing is used during wrestling, grappling, footwork, and some blocks. It is a steady, even breathing, punctuated by forced diaphragmatic exhalations during exertions. This describes the kettlebell get-up to a "t"

Yang breathing is breathing during a strike or some other explosive action. "A sharp exhalation is performed with maximal tension and ideally, for greater concentration with a scream," comments Kochergin. " In the end of Yang exhalation there is a breath hold, essential for instant concentration of a strike but counterproductive in long strength efforts of wrestling." This is the hardstyle kettlebell swing.

The heavier the get up, the more tension needs to be provided by the diaphragm.

In the last days I challenged myself somewhat going 20 reps with my 50k in twenty minutes. For me this is doable not the least, because I am breathing through my nose easily and steadily.

Hello,

I noticed that I lift more when I simply play with the bell, then when I tell to myself "this bell weighs X kg and I have to lift it". Maybe after all these GU and weight lifting I finally found my way to go heavier and then break some plateau. Plus I noted that my technique is better when I play. So...only positive things.

@Harald Motz
20 reps @ 50 in 20 minutes... Just fantastic for an average person like me. For simple curiosity, what is your heaviest GU ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

For simple curiosity, what is your heaviest GU ?
my heaviest was 65kg with a dumbbell (almost two years ago). It has been a long time since I went heavier than with 50k. I am very confident, in regards to my current ability to assume 60kg are doable for me now. I will be practicing some bar get ups soon to welcome spring.

Hello,

This is impressive. This mean you can do a GU with me because I am lighter than 65 hehe !

This week-end I'll have a little more time. Then, I'll try to reach a modest 38 to see how it goes and figure out new body sensations. Because technique and strength are increasing on 36, I am simply curious to go beyond very smoothly, no big jumps...once again, without stress. If I do not feel, I do not do !

Kind regards,

Pet'

still doing daily get ups. Currently I increase the volume a bit. The roll to elbow for me is more a roll to hip (of the straight leg) while driving hard through the foot of the bent leg and the elbow. It is very important, that the shoulder does not collapse inward.

Hello,

It is very important, that the shoulder does not collapse inward.
Due to the weights you are using, I guess your shoulder pack has to be damn strong !

I did not realize how important is the flat feet and the driving of the bent leg to get a proper rolling to elbow. I "figure this out" when I went really heavier (for me). Less I drive hard, more my abs are engaged, but less I have energy to a proper shoulder pack. GU definitely requires so much coordination and details !

Currently I increase the volume a bit.
How many do you do ? Do you try make them like "swings", meaning anti-glyco ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom