all posts post new thread

Kettlebell quite surprised, or the gold of the get up

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Hello,

@Harald Motz
When I see you doing that, it almost seems light ! Very impressive :) When I get up my modest 40...it does not seem that light anymore ! Congrats ! You look so calm and accurate (y) Keep getting up ! (and snatching up and "kettlebelling' up !) because this kind of feats are really motivational and also very instructive !

Kind regards,

Pet'

I was reading a junk article today about how one of the advantages of going to a big gym is seeing fitter/stronger folks as something to aspire too. That's what I take away from this forum. @Harald Motz putting the gold bell up with rock-solid form; that's something to aspire to.

I'm a big get up fan just for how many movements it covers. Ab work in several directions, overhead carry, lunge, mental focus - one stop shopping.

I'm a big get up fan just for how many movements it covers. Ab work in several directions, overhead carry, lunge, mental focus - one stop shopping.
yes, exactly. I liked to do several roll to elbow or kneel to standing, to give these hardest parts some extra attention a while ago. The get up is very rewarding to innumerable aspects.

Does that come from getting your bent leg out to the side far enough?
this and really rolling over the side of the body. I like to have my elbow at 90 degrees from my body, as it shortens the height and giving me better leverage to be getting onto the elbow. When the weight is getting really heavy, I tend to extend my arm fully, slowly roll onto the side completely and then my extended arm does a pull up movement.
My order is 1. push through the heel 2. Roll to the side 3. Pulling elbow towards my body while still pushing with my heel.
With this technique I can get to the elbow calmly, and my extended leg always stays on the ground.

When the weight is getting really heavy, I tend to extend my arm fully, slowly roll onto the side completely and then my extended arm does a pull up movement.
My order is 1. push through the heel 2. Roll to the side 3. Pulling elbow towards my body while still pushing with my heel.

This helped me considerably understand better how I should be moving during the TGU. It's almost like an armbar during that first move! I've been driving through the heel, but still doing much more of a situp than I would like to admit. I'm excited to apply this detail next time I work the get up!

Everyone, to teach yourself to do this, try a heavy bell on its side, placed just at the end of arm's reach. Pull on the handle with your downside arm as you come up to your elbow.

Nice description, Steve.

It also works well for new students who are unable to do the roll-to-elbow even in an unweighted get-up. This gives them more to work with and puts the movement within reach.

try a heavy bell on its side, placed just at the end of arm's reach. Pull on the handle with your downside ar
This is what I did when I started doing them based on your advice in the 1-day KB course in Princeton either in 2014 or 2015. And it worked and eventually I stopped using it. Works well for a new student, and I was one.

@Harald Motz have you ever considered calling yourself “Harald the Great”, donning leopard print, growing a big moustache & joining the circus?

@Harald Motz have you ever considered calling yourself “Harald the Great”, donning leopard print, growing a big moustache & joining the circus?

I support this thought! I would travel to the Westerwald for this show to catch a glimpse of his greatness! ;)(y)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom