all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Rack position on way down for heavier snatches?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
3. you most probably have to grip the bell hard with or without the callous. Especially snatching really heavy hardstyle hooking the bell in the fingertips would be business for @bencrush or @Geoff Chafe...
3. you most probably have to grip the bell hard with or without the callous. Especially snatching really heavy hardstyle hooking the bell in the fingertips would be business for @bencrush or @Geoff Chafe...
This is interesting, I've been working in the 28k snatching and have been hook gripping it, it's ok but puts some strain on the forearm as I tend to naturally goose neck the grip a bit on the down swing. Maybe the goose necking is an indicator the finger hooks are somewhat overloaded. Anyway it's been on my mind, callous gripping is alot easier on the forearms but harder on the hands with increased volume.

Another cue I use for myself on the drop is snatching "through the rack." The idea of this is that even though I am not actually bringing the bell down into the rack position, I want to pull my elbow down and in to my body and keep the bell path close to vertical and close to my body, almost as if it is passing through the rack position without being caught there. Keep in mind this is more of a cue than a literal instruction/description.
Doing this really lightens the load for me..

Thanks for the mention, Harald! I never got proficient with the hooking the bell in the fingertips style...I think in my case it is just too hard to "unlearn" years of grip training that tells you to grip it harder to exert more force on it. I do understand it's (my way of doing it) not nearly as efficient. And of course when I'm swinging or snatching a KB I don't grip it as hard as I can. But I definitely grip it harder than I know I should, if that makes sense.

There is an old post by @Rif praising this snatch variation. I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: here it is

Alactic + Aerobic
the problem I found with this variation over time, is that , like single kb presses done in the sagittal plane it eventually bothers my biceps tendons. I imagine if you let the bell drop like the GS athletes do it would be better but done as "negative press" it didn't work for me over time

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom