all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Racked TGU

Cochran

Level 2 Valued Member
The most recent newsletter made me realize I’ve never even considered trying this before.

Has anyone done the TGU entirely with the ‘bell in the rack position? Or even in stages?

Interesting…I’m going to play with this idea.

From time to time I work with people who really struggle with the lunge aspect of the TGU. In those cases, I occasionally have them hold it overhead as usual until they get to the lunge, then rack it and stand up with it in the rack position. From there, sometimes I call that the end of the rep and have them park it safely, and other times I have them push press it back overhead and complete the "down" part of the TGU with it overhead again.

I can't ever recall having someone do more than that with the KB in the rack position. However, people who are fans of training with sandbags do often hold the sandbag over their shoulder as the "default" position for the TGU. I can't say I have ever done those, but I can see why people would like it.

As for the exact variation mentioned in the article (get up with presses) we have included those in our warm ups for kettlebell classes for many years. They are fun and a great way to "check a lot of boxes" all at once.

Last edited:
I have done what the article suggests, doing a "reverse" press at each stage, but I have not done the entire movement, or even segments of it, with the bell racked.

I've done them racked, but it was so that I could do elbow levers (from the original rkc book) at each stage.

It is quite an ego-trip that the experts have a similar opinion to mine: we can use the rack as a safe 'self-spotting' technique for difficult overhead work....Pavel_T says something like: " let the bell go and get out of its way....quick feet are happy feet" but we cannot always let the cannonball fly away! Safely racking the bell saves my body and my floor/windows/walls/etc.

Regarding the push in various TGU positions. yes, I did that previously and thanks for the reminder, I will start again. I remember that I was getting quite comfortable with the kneeling bent press + 16kg KB. then got derailed when I lost my ability to TGU.

@Brett Jones : once again, I am comparing my toes on the bag leg to yours (24s and 35s into the video from the article's link). this is where I believe I am failing in my TGU. There is some improvement as my back toe is no longer on the exact tip, but still nowhere near as bent as yours. I continue with my plan to extend mobility of the big-toe/ankle/etc.

that is a great newsletter and links! thanks

From time to time I work with people who really struggle with the lunge aspect of the TGU. In those cases, I occasionally have them hold it overhead as usual until they get to the lunge, then rack it and stand up with it in the rack position. From there, sometimes I call that the end of the rep and have them park it safely, and other times I have them push press it back overhead and complete the "down" part of the TGU with it overhead again.
Same here. That's what some of my coaching clients do.

I can't ever recall having someone do more than that with the KB in the rack position. However, people who are fans of training with sandbags do often hold the sandbag over their shoulder as the "default" position for the TGU. I can't say I have ever done those, but I can see why people would like it.
We also do these!

As for the exact variation mentioned in the article (get up with presses) we have included those in our warm ups for kettlebell classes for many years. They are fun and a great way to "check a lot of boxes" all at once.
Absolutely works!

If someone has a injury history that does not allow them to keep a straight arm over their head I lower the kettlebell when I do the windmill-part.
On the way down they raise the bell in the windmill part (sort of bent pressing it).

I have done get ups with Boxing bags (40kg-ish). Then you keep it on your shoulder and move slow. Fun thing to do but way to cumbersome to do in a regular fashion.

I think that press at different stages perfectly shows weaknesses. And it can be used when the weight of kettlebells is limited. You can add here press while sitting on the floor and press while standing with one leg raised, as Pavel showed in the RKC video. You can also add a press from the lunge when the back leg knee is not on the floor but raised) You will be surprised how difficult it is.

I was inspired to try it after the newsletter. I enjoy trying things that I wouldn't think of myself. I used a 32 and there was a definite challenge. I've also tried a two bell TGU. I used two 8kg for this and only managed 3 reps before retiring as I could feel my form go.

Back
Top Bottom