all posts post new thread

Bodyweight aerobic base work

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Harald Motz

Level 8 Valued Member
I am almost 10 weeks into relaxed aerobic running (130-140bpm at my MAF of 140), the last weeks almost daily for around an hour. I really enjoy it because of its mindlessness, listening to the sound of the steps, or of the breathing, automatic swinging of legs and arms, upright posture forward gaze, build up of sweat...the smell of the woods, the fishy river, the fumes of the cars and bikes, feel of the different surfaces under my feet, the warmth of the sun, the chill of the rain...

It is mindless, but not so boring, that I would need to put music onto my ears. In contrast, I bet I would not have rowed my Kilometer without headphones last year.

Riding a bike is maybe good also, but usually is more time consuming than running, and parts of the body are in a "fixed" position, and special parts of the body can get really numb.

Swimming is a total different animal, and suited best for the fish, at least in my opinion.

Cross country skiing I never tried, but I think I would really like it, if I would live in snowy surroundings.

Eventually for me running is my go and run to choice, in order to build up an aerobic base, which promotes recovery. Totally functional, and in my imagination even the progressive paleo people did it for aeons. It is available almost anywhere, with headlamps anytime. Upright posture without a seat, and free movement of the limbs with unrestricted breathing. I can adjust my effort easily as I wish it to be.
Although I am running relatively frequently my weight stays around 83kg as s&s and a+a work took care to not loose muscle.

I used to run in my pre- kettlebell times, but I am quite surprised, that I got some inspiration and great guidance from @aciampa who benched way more, than I will ever deadlift . I know, that I will keep at it, as it feels right, and I do not aim for a time or a distance. Just a beneficial way to empty the cluttered mind to ramble on the run.

Last edited:
@Harald Motz Finally someone who agrees with me that swimming is better suited to the fish.

I haven't ran much lately, and when I did, I think I ran too fast. I'll give slower running a try when I have the chance.

If you haven't read "Born to Run", you might enjoy it

Finally someone who agrees with me that swimming is better suited to the fish.
Yes, but that does not mean, that it is not a great activity. In the village I live, we had a public swimming pool that was closed 10 years ago, because when the summer was lousy, it was a financial disaster. As a child or in my youth I liked it more, jumping from the springboard or being lazy on the lawn. Occasionally though, I made a commitment to make up to about 1000m, 20 times in the 50m pool. As with almost every activity, it took some time to be getting comfortable with technique and with the mere fact, that one is kind of isolated from the outer world.

I haven't ran much lately, and when I did, I think I ran too fast. I'll give slower running a try when I have the chance.
to get the amazing benefits, going (really) slower than one wants to is key and some regularity.

If you haven't read "Born to Run", you might enjoy it
I read parts of it

However, if you can hear your steps and breath; feel your arms and legs swing; smell the woods and creek; and feel the ground beneath your feet, then it is not at all "mindless".
My mind is attentive, sure but not consumed much emotionally and overthinking while on the run. The more I run, the more it gets just autopilot, I do it, and feel and know that it is good.

Yes, but that does not mean, that it is not a great activity
Yes, agreed that is a good activity. Many people benefit a lot from it, specially if they have back pain or are on recovery. I also enjoy it a lot and love diving and free diving. But I do it just for fun, I wouldnt use it as a training tool nowadays, not even for conditioning. It doesnt look very natural to me. Additionally, you have to breathe through you mouth, which I think is no good.

When I was a regular swimmer, I found it very relaxing. As with running, it can be done easily for distance, which is what I used to do, and one can include interval work, again as with running. I, unfortunately, tend to ear infections and balance issues, and couldn't swim more often than about once every couple of weeks without getting into trouble, so I gave it up. If I could still do it, I would.

-S-

I really deeply dislike jogging/running...but love aquajogging and going for a walk, enjoying what you described.
swimming is great, no other input than my breath.
I'd say the outcome is essential not so much how you get it.

@Harald Motz I'm with you on the running sentiment. I especially enjoy running in early hours in autumn, when the rest of the world still sleeps, the air is cool and crisp, and a blanket of mist settles over the nearby fields. Perhaps, I'll set my alarm an hour early for tomorrow....
And if you can make a good accounting of yourself when running in torrential rain, or when it's plus 35deg C, or when it's minus 35deg C in a bilzzard, or through crowded and polluted city streets, then the early morning autumn run through the forest in the mist becomes even more special...

18-09-2017.PNG
morning run - 61min - 129/135 - 8,2km/h - index: 50

18-9-2017.PNG
evening run - 62min - 129/134 - 9km/h - index: 56

Sometimes significant differences appear after some weeks, sometimes even in a day. After my first week of running my speed was 8km/h @ 140bpm for an hour. Ten weeks later, this evening was 9km/h @ 130bpm for an hour. Same bodyweight. Newbie gains for sure, but nice gains.

Currently I am at 130bpm range, as at higher heart rates my stride becomes a bit to fast for my gusto. Additionally I like my breathing @ 130, as I breathe out some longer than I breathe in, and have a nice calming stop at the turning point.

Aerobic Saturday, without leg warmers:

Aerobic Saturday.PNG
Polar flow says about the rowing:
benefit row.PNG
Polar says about the running:
benefit run.PNG

This morning I was up early, had my usual can of tea pulled the concept2 outside put some beats onto my ears rowed for 10km, then pulled the beats of the ears, drank some water went on 45min run in misty-mystic conditions when I jogged back 45min the sun broke slowly through the fog of the creeks valley.

At home I took a short cold shower, drank a cup of coffee and some water and was on the rower again, with some monotonous beats on my ears, and pulled easily on the handle, taming the heart.

Long Slow Endurance is good. The slower you go, the more fat is used relative to carbohydrates. Fat is slow long lasting energy. I had no breakfast this morning and afterwards I feel no attack of hunger, but nevertheless I will have a lunch now.

A comparison of 1h running @ my hypothetical MAF

07/12/17: Running - 1h - 8,7km/h - 137avg/144max - index 49 (third run of my aerobic endeavour since July)
11/01/17: Running - 1h - 10,1km/h - 138avg/144max - index 56
roughly 16 % increase in running distance.

same course, around the same bodyweight around 82kg.

Hello,

@Harald Motz
Do you practice LSD on a daily basis ? (either rowing or running, or both). I do not do rowing but I guess this is more "demanding" as it engages more muscle mass than running for instance ?

Indeed, LSD consumes more fat than carbonhydrates. However, is diet more "fat-oriented" or "carbonhydrates-oriented" ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

Do you practice LSD on a daily basis ? (either rowing or running, or both). I do not do rowing but I guess this is more "demanding" as it engages more muscle mass than running for instance ?

Indeed, LSD consumes more fat than carbonhydrates. However, is diet more "fat-oriented" or "carbonhydrates-oriented" ?

The last weeks I rowed 20km on a daily basis, only a run here and there. With aerobics there is a continuum slower more towards fat, quicker towards carbs. My hypothetical MAF would be 140, I run this fast very rarely, as I find it well, just to fast. running around 130, rowing around 120 is my preferred personal MAF.

On nutrition I am musing a bit lately, as the way I do my endurance work triggers my metabolism into some direction.

Do you pay attention to your technique and aim for forefoot / POSE? How about your stride cadence?
I have a forefoot stride, I developed through some years before my kettlebell days. I think my technique is not that bad, as I have no soreness even when running relatively frequently. For my run today my Polar says I have an 80 steps cadence on average.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom