all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Random acts of variety

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

conor78

Level 6 Valued Member
I've probably been spending too much time on Instagram lately but a lot of the videos I watch on the surface appear to be random acts of variety with a few catchy descriptions such as multi planar etc. I suppose repeatable workouts that form a program aren't catchy enough to draw in followers but I would much prefer to follow a program such as S and S/TTC to a lot of what is peddled as cutting edge fitness. Or maybe I'm getting a bit older and grumpjer...

I've probably been spending too much time on Instagram lately but a lot of the videos I watch on the surface appear to be random acts of variety with a few catchy descriptions such as multi planar etc. I suppose repeatable workouts that form a program aren't catchy enough to draw in followers but I would much prefer to follow a program such as S and S/TTC to a lot of what is peddled as cutting edge fitness. Or maybe I'm getting a bit older and grumpjer...
Embrace the grumpiness, become one with the disdain for mainstream fitness, only then will you become strong.

Perhaps the people who need to look to social media for training guidance are the ones who would not be interested in a boring (but effective) program anyways.

There are some people whose athletic performance I find entertaining, but at no point do I consider changing my own program based on what I see. I train for my own satisfaction, not so I can entertain others. There are, however, many people who do train in order to intentionally impress people. If that's the motivation it takes, then they can have at it.

Neither my wife or toddler are very impressed by my training anyways, and they're about the only ones who see it.

@conor78 I s'pose that is what results from becoming "bored" with a day in / day out program. I'm sure it's an interesting snapshot but would make for a big, long circle jerk if we watched those folks' videos for awhile.

Of course, I'm also getting older and grumpier....

Neither my wife or toddler are very impressed by my training anyways, and they're about the only ones who see it.

One of the great quotes of 2018..

@conor78 I s'pose that is what results from becoming "bored" with a day in / day out program. I'm sure it's an interesting snapshot but would make for a big, long circle jerk if we watched those folks' videos for awhile.

Of course, I'm also getting older and grumpier....

One of the great quotes of 2018.
Great quote to be sure...
I've been rereading DJ Kettlebell challenge book since August and as a result I've been using a minimalist approach. Swing Goblet push up and the TGU as warm up. This is probably why I find the Insta workouts "interesting."
Currently using a workout I've used before based on this approach. Noah Maxwell uses it.
10 × 1/2 BW swing
10× 1/2 BWGoblet
10 push up
10 times
I scale the Goblet weight depending on how I feel, but it's brutal and very simple. Rinse and Repeat...works for men who are getting a little older and grumpier...

I think there is likely a lot of context not included on Instagram though. A lot of our own training could look very random if portrayed as snapshots of random points of time within a training set, within a training session, and within a training program that could have any number of purposes or objectives.

There is some great content on instagram - Maverick's Field House springs to mind. The vast majority is just there to get clicks/follows. It's hard to make a living as a strength coach - I know I tried in the pre-instagram era. I don't blame these folks for trying to be grow their business and brands.

It's not just instagram...I think coaches have always struggled to find the balance between the "interesting and fun" that attracts new clients (aka: Revenue) and the "results" that keep them coming back.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom