all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Random Thought of the Day: The Giant w Thrusters

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Bkb

Level 6 Valued Member
As the title suggests, after my Giant 1.0 session, I thought about what effects/adaptations might occur from doing the program with 10rm Double Thrusters instead of Clean and Presses… The thought came from the natural inclination many people seem to have upon looking at the Giant program, what about the squats? Like me, I found out quickly that adding any real squat volume on off days hindered recovery and performance.

So, I had a thought…. What might an experiment of doing a Giant series (1.0–>1.1–>1.2–>2.0) with Double Thrusters yield as far as results? I think I’m going to give it a go after this cycle.

I’d imagine it’d produce results where fat loss and even muscle gain is concerned, as the Thruster would be a new stimulus for me and more of a power focus exercise. They’re also brutal so I’d imagine it’d give you the conditioning of a ufc lightweight.

Please chime in, I’d love to know your thoughts.

FWIW, I have added squats in on off days and didn’t feel any hindrance to my performance after I got out of the DOMs stage. I added light back squats however, I could see how DKBFS could impact your giant progress. I have also played with runs on off days and fan bike without any detriment.

That many thrusters would be a fire breather of a workout tho, are you thinking clusters or thrusters?

It’s going to be a very individual thing but I’d say you have nothing lose and plenty to gain by giving it a go for four weeks, even if that gain is the knowledge that it didn’t work for you. If it does work, crack on with the rest of the sequence.

Given that the program as advertised can be done with the LCCJ, push press, or clean and press, it’s not that big a stretch to think the long push press (thruster) could work. Just keep an eye on your recovery.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom