all posts post new thread

Rapid loss of strength?

Henda

Level 4 Valued Member
Hi every one, I have just experienced a rapid loss of strength (at least thats what I think) and I would like to consider other perspectives, maybe it is normal and I am over thinking it.
Let me give you a bit of context. I did the Maximorum program with a pair of 30 kg bells and at the end of the program they were my 8 RM. Then I started Easy Muscle with a pair of 32kg bells, which were my 5 RM. But as I was runing the program at the end of the first phase I contractured my left trap I had to stop doing heavy presses for a week. When I came back with the 32s I contractured again my left trap. This time my physiotherapist sugested to go down weight to a confortable weight. I did as he suggested the next week, until then I kept runing the program but doing floor presses with the 32s as they didn't bother my trap. But when I went dow to 28 kettlebells I didn't notice them lighter, they felt exactly as my 32s felt before!

Before contracturing my trap I was able to press the 36kg bell once with both arms, now I only can press the 32 with my right hand.

I also lost 4kg of body weight a#@ I reduced fats from my diet.

Do you think that this loss of strength is normal or is it too fast? Thanks for sharing your point of view!

Last edited:
You didn't give any dates, so it's tough to gauge how fast or slow your strength losses are. Losing weight generally isn't the best for strength, but again, you didn't mention the time frame.

What is a 'contracture'?

edit - What did your MD/physiotherapist say?

You didn't give any dates, so it's tough to gauge how fast or slow your strength losses are. Losing weight generally isn't the best for strength, but again, you didn't mention the time frame.

What is a 'contracture'?

edit - What did your MD/physiotherapist say?

Contracture: A permanent tightening of the muscles, tendons, skin, and nearby tissues that causes the joints to shorten and become very stiff. This prevents normal movement of a joint or other body part.

The first time I contractured my trap I stopped for one week, then I continued training again with de same weight for two days and contractured again. Then stopped military presses and I started doing flour presses for another week and finally I started training with the 28s. They didn't feel light, they felt as the 32s, my numbers tell the same story.

I would say follow your doctor's advice and when you are healed, your strength will go back up. It's nothing to get stressed about.

I would say follow your doctor's advice and when you are healed, your strength will go back up. It's nothing to get stressed about.
Yes, he told me to go down in the training weight, and that's what I did but it was a real surprise that those bells didn't felt lighter.

If you’re dealing with an injury or a muscular issue it isn’t surprising to lose strength.
Yep. After dealing with shoulder and knee issues (arthritis/bursitis) for the last three years and going through PT, ART, massage, etc., I lost A LOT of strength. I'm just now regaining it and finally making some new strength gains.

Thanks for your views, I will relax and keep working. I am excited as I am about to start Reload, my first time using BB.

You list 4kgs, and reduced fats from your diet. This could have an effect.
A good massage concentrating on the upper back may be useful, to loosen up and relax the muscles.
I'd get a few massages and concentrate on stretching before lifting again.

Back
Top Bottom