all posts post new thread

Nutrition Raw Eggs

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
It just feels unsafe.

Misinformation

The reason that it feels unsafe to you is because you have been program for years to believe that; it has nothing to do with what you feel.

Dr Mike T. Nelson
4 Reasons To Consume Raw Eggs For Recovery Post Training - Dr. Mike T Nelson

According to Hope BK et al. 2002, the risk of salmonella in conventional eggs is pretty low.

…2.3 million, out of the 69 billion eggs produced annually, are contaminated with salmonella. As a percentage, that is 0.003 % of eggs are infected.

Even if consuming salmonella contaminated eggs, the risk in healthy people is quite low.

,,,there does not appear to be an epidemic of people dying from salmonella in eggs. You can further reduce your risk by washing the shells right before you use them.

Show Me The Bodies

What I find interesting the number of individual who continue to perpetuate the misinformation regarding raw eggs.

My reply is, "Really?"

I then hand the individual a pen and paper and ask them to provide me with the name and phone number of individual who became sick from consuming raw eggs. I get nothing.

I then ask to cite vetted information from reputable sources with the names of individual and what heath conditions they encountered from consuming raw eggs. I get nothing.

If you or someone else had vetted data on this, I'd like to see it.

Last edited:
More and more people are getting ecoli and such from lettuce, spinach, and stuff yet there's no cry to stop eating salads or to stop being vegetarian. How many people die and get sick from smoking and alcohol yet people still partake.

Misinformation

The reason that it feels unsafe to you is because you have been program for years to believe that; it has nothing to do with what you feel.

Dr Mike T. Nelson
4 Reasons To Consume Raw Eggs For Recovery Post Training - Dr. Mike T Nelson

According to Hope BK et al. 2002, the risk of salmonella in conventional eggs is pretty low.

…2.3 million, out of the 69 billion eggs produced annually, are contaminated with salmonella. As a percentage, that is 0.003 % of eggs are infected.

Even if consuming salmonella contaminated eggs, the risk in healthy people is quite low.

,,,there does not appear to be an epidemic of people dying from salmonella in eggs. You can further reduce your risk by washing the shells right before you use them.

Show Me The Bodies

What I find interesting the number of individual who continue to perpetuate the misinformation regarding raw eggs.

My reply is, "Really?"

I then hand the individual a pen and paper and ask them to provide me with the name and phone number of individual who became sick from consuming raw eggs. I get nothing.

I then ask to cite vetted information from reputable sources with the names of individual and what heath conditions they encountered from consuming raw eggs. I get nothing.

If you or someone else had vetted data on this, I'd like to see it.:
I have direct experience with severe illness related to Salmonella related to raw egg exposure, and Salmonella in general.

42 year old male recreational bodybuilder, presented with overt heart failure, found to have blood stream infection and endocarditis from Salmonella (nontyphoid), with a history of only a few orthopedic injuries and untreated mild hypertension. Loved his raw eggs in the morning. After a long ICU stay and a new heart valve he struggled through a long rehab, but he did get back eventually to lifting is the rumor, albeit never back at the prior level.

Also have experience with a patient in his 60's who died from Salmonella with sepsis, but we couldn't get a diet history as he was too sick.

In the very recent past there was a patient who had sepsis and a pelvic abscess that required drainage that ended up being Salmonella. He had a diarrhea illness that began the night following eating some "bad chicken" at "a greasy diner". After a few days of diarrhea he began to feel a bit better but then got more generally sick/septic. Presumably he had Salmonella gastroenteritis, complicated by blood stream infection that then seeded a site in his pelvis, which blossomed into an abscess.

Of course, I work at a tertiary care center, and referral bias is a real thing, so the above anecdotes don't change the statistically low risk.

That said, personally, since there is a fair amount of asymmetry between the benefit and risk of eating raw eggs over cooked eggs (don't think there is a definitive benefit other than time savings, with the albeit rare risk of catastrophic illness), and since it only takes about 5 minutes of active work and 15 minutes of waiting to hardboil eggs en masse for a weeks consumption, this is a minuscule risk I personally see no reason to take.

I work at a tertiary care center, and referral bias is a real thing, so the above anecdotes don't change the statistically low risk.
Bottom Line

Thus, the bottom line is that there is a miniscule amount of risk to consuming raw eggs.

With that said, I have no bias with consuming them raw at time (which I have done) or cooking them poached, which I prefer.

60 Second Method

This the fastest. easiest poaching method.
this is a minuscule risk I personally see no reason to take.

Then you might want to reconsider your miniscule personal risk of dying or being injured in a car accident and avoid type of transportation, as well.

Then you might want to reconsider your miniscule personal risk of dying or being injured in a car accident and avoid type of transportation, as well.
Respectfully disagree. Avoiding transportation has practical implications of difficulty travelling to work, travelling to experience the world, difficulty getting to places in a timely manner, which allow me to do more with my time and life. Consuming raw eggs saves me very little time compared to cooking them and provides no significant benefit in nutrition. Risk doesn't exist in isolation, at least in my personal estimates, but in context to the benefits of assuming the risk.

Respectfully disagree. Avoiding transportation has practical implications of difficulty travelling to work, travelling to experience the world, difficulty getting to places in a timely manner, which allow me to do more with my time and life. Consuming raw eggs saves me very little time compared to cooking them and provides no significant benefit in nutrition. Risk doesn't exist in isolation, at least in my personal estimates, but in context to the benefits of assuming the risk.
Actually, it's quite convenient. Plop plop shake shake down the hatch

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom