all posts post new thread

Barbell RDL deadlift ratio

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

FinlayB

Level 5 Valued Member
Hi there,

Is there any guide of what percentage of your deadlift you should be able to romanian deadlift for 3 to 5 reps. I have a feeling about 60% (ish) but would like to hear from experienced lifters

I'm not sure what the standard answer is, but I can say I'm using a lot less than 60 or 70 %. Apparently more like 33%.

My 1RM deadlift is around 300 lbs (haven't tested lately but pretty confident based on past experience and current strength levels that's where it is. All time 1RM is 320 lbs about 2 yrs ago after running the Daily Dose Dealift program). I've been doing RDLs with 45 kg for the top 2 sets of 5. So that's only 1/3 of my DL weight.

However as we discussed in this thread, part of the objective of the RDL in my current program is the upper back development. For me, that's not as much of an issue with Deadlifts.

I'll say that I CAN probably RDL a lot more weight than 45 lbs to use "just move the weight" powerlifting form. For really good weightlifting form, I have to go a lot lighter.

Hope that makes sense and sheds some light.

You meant kilos, right? ;)
Oh, yes, thanks... that's what I get for mixing lbs and kgs in the same post, haha.

I do all my powerlifting in lbs, and all my weightlifting in kgs....

I can do RDL with 70% of my 1RM deadlift for a set of 5 easily and I believe I can hit much more. I'm weak from the floor to knee in deadlift so that's can explain why my percentage is quite high.

Hi there,

Is there any guide of what percentage of your deadlift you should be able to romanian deadlift for 3 to 5 reps. I have a feeling about 60% (ish) but would like to hear from experienced lifters

I can do RDL with 70% of my 1RM deadlift for a set of 5 easily and I believe I can hit much more. I'm weak from the floor to knee in deadlift so that's can explain why my percentage is quite high.

Now that I think about it more, I don't think there is a answer to 'how much should you be able to RDL' that is quantifiable.

It's an accessory lift, so the number can vary a lot depending on where one is strong vs weak in the DL.

As for me, I don't train RDL in weight/set/rep scheme based on what I'm max capable of -- I've never tried to PR an RDL. I just program it according to what I'm trying to train.

The weight I usually use for reps of 3-5 is a more related to my clean than my DL.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom