all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Reached Timeless Simple and Done 12 weeks of Q&D: What's next?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

lucaband

Level 3 Valued Member
Do I go back to S&S and shoot for Sinister? do I switch to Program Minimum Squared (Program Minimum [Squared] | StrongFirst)

I'm still doing 5 to 6 times a week BJJ (in the evenings) and I like training at home in the mornings. Being a lazy bastard, I got used to the 3 days a week minimal approach of Q&D and I know that to succeed in S&S I need to switch back to 5 days a week (at least that is what I did when I reached timeless simple before starting Q&D).

But there's a lot of professionals here with a lot of skills, knowledge and experience so.. teach me ;-).

Thanks!

Last edited:
I think there is a lot of benefit to continuing your pursuit of S&S. That is probably what I would choose out of the options listed. Timed Simple and Timeless Simple are very different, in my experience.
Edit: pretty sure when I hit Simple I was training every other day. You may do better with higher frequency, but don’t be afraid to try other options if 5-6 days a week doesn’t work for you.

Do I go back to S&S and shoot for Sinister? do I switch to Program Minimum Squared (Program Minimum [Squared] | StrongFirst)

I'm still doing 5 to 6 times a week BJJ (in the evenings) and I like training at home in the mornings. Being a lazy bastard, I got used to the 3 days a week minimal approach of Q&D and I know that to succeed in S&S I need to switch back to 5 days a week (at least that is what I did when I reached timeless simple before starting Q&D).

But there's a lot of professionals here with a lot of skills, knowledge and experience so.. teach me ;-).

Thanks!
First, you can continue your S&S journey without training 5x a week. 3x is still great.

Second - what do YOU want to do? What is driving your training? What interests you? What do you think you are weak at? What do you think you are strong at? What do you have access to at home?

First, you can continue your S&S journey without training 5x a week. 3x is still great.

Second - what do YOU want to do? What is driving your training? What interests you? What do you think you are weak at? What do you think you are strong at? What do you have access to at home?
@John K , great questions!
  • I want to continue to train BJJ and be injury free while increasing my strength and explosiveness. Progressing from timeless Simple to Q&D has been very beneficial on that front
  • being consistent (aka: growing consistently) in BJJ while I'm aging is what drives my training.
  • Kettlebell interests me as well as working with resistent bands (that's how I do my push-up in Q&D). not interested in looking good or hypertrophic growth (too old for that sh**t :):):)... plus more muscles means more opportunities for others to choke me out easily ;))
  • There's nothing that I'm weak at specifically I can think of. but increasing explosiveness and strength is what I want to achieve from this training
  • what am I strong at? Well, I would say consistency and dedication as I try to at least reserve 1 hour for training outside from BJJ every day no matter where I am. And when I am traveling and I cannot train BJJ, I never skip a Q&D session (often by replacing kettlebells with what's availbale where I am)
  • at home I've access to mats, kettlebells from 25 to 80 pounds (but only a double 35 pounds), resistent bands and a pull up bar.

I want to continue to train BJJ and be injury free while increasing my strength and explosiveness.
While I don't see a problem with S&S and/or Q&D ... And I also don't see a problem with the Program Minimum Squared ...

I suppose that I would assume that you might take up the KBSF course. Which is on sale and there's a coupon code for Halloween which would further increase the discount

I personally have a fantasy of just alternating S&S and Q&D which would seemingly endlessly serve my completely nonspecific GPP goal of being a little stronger and more able every year till I die.

I'm not sure I need to do much more than snatch 3 days a week till I die. And maybe take my kettlebell for a walk maybe once a week.

But insofar as you practice your sport, hopefully your training serves your sport.

@John K , great questions!
  • I want to continue to train BJJ and be injury free while increasing my strength and explosiveness. Progressing from timeless Simple to Q&D has been very beneficial on that front
  • being consistent (aka: growing consistently) in BJJ while I'm aging is what drives my training.
  • Kettlebell interests me as well as working with resistent bands (that's how I do my push-up in Q&D). not interested in looking good or hypertrophic growth (too old for that sh**t :):):)... plus more muscles means more opportunities for others to choke me out easily ;))
  • There's nothing that I'm weak at specifically I can think of. but increasing explosiveness and strength is what I want to achieve from this training
  • what am I strong at? Well, I would say consistency and dedication as I try to at least reserve 1 hour for training outside from BJJ every day no matter where I am. And when I am traveling and I cannot train BJJ, I never skip a Q&D session (often by replacing kettlebells with what's availbale where I am)
  • at home I've access to mats, kettlebells from 25 to 80 pounds (but only a double 35 pounds), resistent bands and a pull up bar.
Do you WANT to keep working on S&S? Is there anything you are interested in exploring or learning with the kettlebell?

It sounds like your main focus is BJJ and your other training supports that. There are a LOT of ways to do that, so a lot of it comes down to what you like and will do consistently.

I would run the swing or c&j program from the SF bjj material... Q&D talks about rotating 8 week blocks with A+A

If you want to work on strength, I’d take a venture into barbells for a while. Turn that potential into raw strength. Tactical barbell pairs very nicely with BJJ (one of the authors in the series was actually a world champ relatively recently).
But if working out at home is a requirement and you don’t want barbells, then ignore this advice.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom