all posts post new thread

Nutrition Real world experience

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Dogchapman7

Level 4 Valued Member
Hi just throwing it out there on my experience with nutrition, zero knowledge always followed the protocol of consume high protein within 20 to 30 minutes after working eat high protein regularly throughout the day, started training at 19 years of age 140lbs got up to my heaviest before lockdown 240lbs carrying a lot of fat, now I workout at 5am, just 1pint of milk after working out, realised many years ago that protein shakes are just a manufacturing scam, next meal around 5.30pm and stop eating at 9 id have a large meal plus pudding/cake potato chips chocolate and my ritual of cereal before bed, dropped down to 218 past few weeks ramped it up so I only eat between 5.30pm and 9pm same foods just no pint of milk or protein after working out, I have not lost any muscle size just fat, anyone else found that protein after working out is a myth for us natural regular joes? Now I understand you may not be able to build muscle in this way but for maintaining im doing just fine also thinking natural guys have a limit to muscle they can put on hence why I suddenly started gaining fat plus im now 37 so metabolism must have slowd, just curious on anyone else going against the grain eating less not much protein and not losing muscle especially going 12 hours not consuming it after working out? 2 cents oh and currently at 204lbs just drinking about 2litres of coffee at work in my flask to tide me over till 5.30pm

Could also be im talking bollocks and the reason im not losing muscle is the style of my training 7 days a week high volume minimum rest emoms and amrap so im constantly pumping feeding my muscles with blood and if I took time off my mass would reduce

Not a nutrition expert here but I've studied the subject enough to support training. My impression is that nutrient timing is WAY less important than overall macros. If you are getting enough protein in your daily consumption (at 204 lbs, I would say you need 145g and might go has high as 280g; this is based on common advice of 1.6-3.1 grams per kilogram body weight per day) then that will support the maintenance and/or building of muscle.

That said, it's best to spread this protein intake out between 2-4 meals. It's not ideal to spread it out more, i.e. to 5-6 meals. It's actually beneficial to have a few hours without protein to trigger muscle protein synthesis. And there's little benefit to consuming protein right after training.

Protein shakes are not a "manufacturing scam," although some sources are better than others. They're a good source of dietary protein, especially leucine. If you put that word in the search window you'll find some good posts from @kennycro@@aol.com on the subject.

the style of my training 7 days a week high volume minimum rest emoms and amrap

That's different from the style of training we usually do around here... But you're welcome to hang around and learn more about that. :)

I religiously consume a high carb/high protein drink after training, and eat my protein in large isolated meals spaced out minimum 4 hours.

I get a shot of carbs immediately after training because there is a post exercise window where the body will continue to burn fat for maintenance energy while replenishing local glucose stores. This also keeps my energy high nonstop.

The protein spike approach maximizes muscle protein synthesis, something I like to stay on top of at my age (53).

For basic health, nutrient timing isn't really a thing.

I've read quite a few studies on optimal protein amounts and timing plus lots of posts etc on here and elsewhere from knowledgeable people. And it all makes sense to me and I'm certainly conscious of my own consumption including whey and BCAA supplementation from time to time. But having spent a lot of time in developing countries in the company of some seriously big units who eat (in comparison) next to no protein, I'm not so sure what it all means in practice. In many/most African or Asian societies protein intense diets are not viable on cost grounds alone. People can usually only afford a handful of meat or fish, at most, in their meals with no money for supplements. And by handful I mean exactly that, if you cup one hand the amount of protein source would fit easily within it. I just checked and a tin of fish in my cupboard was 20g of protein - these dudes would be lucky to be getting that every meal. Yet those so inclined certainly display some very impressive physiques, assumedly as a consequence of their hard labour or gym work. If I had to guess, I would say it's an 80:20 issue. 80% of your physique comes from physical effort. 20% from a range of other factors including macros and timing.

Last edited:
My impression is that nutrient timing is WAY less important than overall macros.

Same as Anna, I'm no expert but this is my general consensus

That said, it's best to spread this protein intake out between 2-4 meals. It's not ideal to spread it out more, i.e. to 5-6 meals. It's actually beneficial to have a few hours without protein to trigger muscle protein synthesis. And there's little benefit to consuming protein right after training.

Again, I gather this as well

Protein shakes are not a "manufacturing scam," although some sources are better than others. They're a good source of dietary protein, especially leucine. If you put that word in the search window you'll find some good posts from @kennycro@@aol.com on the subject.

On the continuum of <--- scam--------------------------------------everyone should do it ---> I am definitely leaning left. I honestly think many people use it improperly, as in trying to correct a bad diet. For the average person, eat a decent amount of quality protein at each meal, train progressively and consistently for 3-6+ months and they will do fine

It sounds a little bit like you lost sight of the big picture @Dogchapman7. At least here in Austria whey protein is one of the cheapest quality proteins you can buy. I am not focusing on muscle mass and high protein right now and just focus on a overall caloric deficit to loose weight. But all it would take to turn my normal "balanced" diet into a muscle building diet would be to consume 2 protein shakes between my regular meals for under 2€ a day. Pudding, cake, chocolate and cereal before bed like you do would be the opposite. So maybe you shouldn't put your focus on just your post workout meals but your overall diet if you are unhappy with you results.

Last edited:
I have a time when I only consumed rice and beans (8 part of rice: 2 part of beans), a bit of sesame and some veggie.
After that seems like my body using protein from animal source more effectively.
Anytime when I look at the diet with lots of meats, protein shake, and huge calories for gainining muscle, I always remember about this picture
success.jpg

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom