all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Rear delt

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

User 6372

Hello all

So my shoulder went out again. Apparently the rear delt atrophied and it caused problems. I recently had my form checked by an SFG2 so I am at a loss. She had zero issues with my technique. Zero.

I’m going to run ROP and I’m just wondering what exercises will work the rear delt in this program. I’m currently doing band pull aparts between sets to get some rear delt action (this has made my good shoulder feel wonderful) but I am feeling like the double volume is starting to catch up with me.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of them will work the rear delt to an extent and doing band pull aparts sounds like a good option. You said you are doing them between rungs. Does that mean you are doing a set after every set of C&P? If so, that seems excessive. I would say 3-4 sets total either at the end of your session or between ladders would be plenty.

A lot of them will work the rear delt to an extent and doing band pull aparts sounds like a good option. You said you are doing them between rungs. Does that mean you are doing a set after every set of C&P? If so, that seems excessive. I would say 3-4 sets total either at the end of your session or between ladders would be plenty.
I meant sets. Thanks for mentioning that.

That was my thought but one shoulder says NO!

Hate to say it, but if the band work is fixing what ails ya, and your volume is starting to get too high, you might have to cut the ROP related volume. Hopefully not for long.

Rear delt shows the biggest shift from trained to untrained musculature - it is the most left behind by most training.

Isolate it if necessary to really direct your efforts.

Rear delt shows the biggest shift from trained to untrained musculature - it is the most left behind by most training.

Isolate it if necessary to really direct your efforts.
I hear ya. But my right side is fine and balanced. My left isn’t. Yet there is no noticeable technique difference. We’re at a loss. Only thing I can think of was that it didn’t come back after the injury and the physiotherapist missed it. Wouldn’t suprise me. It’s coming back now. I want to speed it up.

Good morning Mark. When my shoulder gets cranky I incorporate some rowing to work rear head, scapula ect. Good luck, Fyreman
That makes sense. I don’t have a rower. Thanks for the suggestion.

What do you mean your shoulder went out?

Atrophy would imply either disuse or the nerve transmission to the muscle has been disrupted. What’s your neck like?

Other thing to consider is quadrilateral space syndrome, somewhat common with hard training folk. I’ve only seen it in crossfitters who do too many pull-ups. If this is the case, more exercise for your posterior shoulder may make it worse. I think it would be good to have this investigated by a health professional.

What do you mean your shoulder went out?

It was pushing sitting forward and up and impinging nerves.
Atrophy would imply either disuse or the nerve transmission to the muscle has been disrupted. What’s your neck like?

Neck is fine. Nerves were fine until a month ago. Hence why we are perplexed.

Other thing to consider is quadrilateral space syndrome, somewhat common with hard training folk. I’ve only seen it in crossfitters who do too many pull-ups. If this is the case, more exercise for your posterior shoulder may make it worse. I think it would be good to have this investigated by a health professional.

It’s not that or doesn’t sound like it. Best way to describe it would be the rear delt and supporting muscle in back was removed. Otherside, developed and well proportioned. Hence why my Physiotherapist is scratching her head. An SFG2 recently did a form check on me. Nothing to critique. It was good. Both sides were mirrors of the other. Physio asked me to bring my bell in and show her what I was doing. She couldn’t see why the rear delt in one shoulder didn’t engage. Good news is the muscle is coming back really quickly thanks to band pull aparts. I’ve just never heard anyone complain about lack of rear delt development with hardstyle overhead pressing, swings and snatches, hence my investigation.

Face pulls
Rear delt rows.
Rear delt flyes isolate them the most.

I’ve just never heard anyone complain about lack of rear delt development with hardstyle overhead pressing, swings and snatches, hence my investigation.

You won't hear many complain, but you'll be surprised at how well the rear delt responds to a bit of isolation work - to me this is clear evidence it is underutilized. Overhead pressing barely recruits it, and swing/snatch movements tend to not hit it directly either.

The anterior and middle delt do the brunt of the work on most lifts, and even bent rows are more scapular than rear delt.

You won't hear many complain, but you'll be surprised at how well the rear delt responds to a bit of isolation work - to me this is clear evidence it is underutilized. Overhead pressing barely recruits it, and swing/snatch movements tend to not hit it directly either.

The anterior and middle delt do the brunt of the work on most lifts, and even bent rows are more scapular than rear delt.
True. Not going to argue against that. But I’m still at a loss as to why one developed, one wasted away.

And you are correct about the little isolation work.

Good news is the muscle is coming back really quickly thanks to band pull aparts.
I don't feel I have a basis to specifically address your problem. But since you are responding well to band pull aparts, I'll take this opportunity to suggest the following pull apart series that I've found extremely beneficial:

I don't feel I have a basis to specifically address your problem. But since you are responding well to band pull aparts, I'll take this opportunity to suggest the following pull apart series that I've found extremely beneficial:

Dude, your info is always solid. I’ll check it out

The rear delts are one of those overlooked muscle groups.
Honestly, band pull aparts are not that much fun but might rather bore one to tears...still they are usefull.
Another suggestion:
KB High Pulls the "active" version i.e. contracting the rear delts/upper back hard at the top of the movement.
I like these a lot instead of swings. They offer all the same benefits as swings do plus a lot of upper back/rear delt involvement.
The only downside: you probably need to drop one or two bell sizes and therefore not overload the posterior chain as much. Still, if you can High Pull the Beast you def can swing it, too. Along the way you'll develope an outstanding upper back and rear delts.

The rear delts are one of those overlooked muscle groups.
Honestly, band pull aparts are not that much fun but might rather bore one to tears...still they are usefull.
Another suggestion:
KB High Pulls the "active" version i.e. contracting the rear delts/upper back hard at the top of the movement.
I like these a lot instead of swings. They offer all the same benefits as swings do plus a lot of upper back/rear delt involvement.
The only downside: you probably need to drop one or two bell sizes and therefore not overload the posterior chain as much. Still, if you can High Pull the Beast you def can swing it, too. Along the way you'll develope an outstanding upper back and rear delts.
Ironically I was doing those as well. I’m starting to get sold on them over snatches ala Steve Maxwell.

@ Marc,
I do those occasionally for just that reason. I use them like a push press - more hip snap I get a little less rear delt, sometimes use just enough snap that the delt has to kick in harder to complete the lift.

Valery Fedorenko does his regular swings almost like a high pull, with his elbow higher than his hand.

I highly recommend this advice. Especially for those who have desk jobs. It is now part of my routine in my office. Other videos often suggest tying a band to a squat rack or something, which is just not practical. Try taking up the squat rack doing banded face pulls or something while some guy is waiting to squat!

Last edited:
Great if we could see some unilateral movements, especially those that look different from one side to the other. If you’re not sure, video our go-to movements-as-screens, the getup and the one-armed swing.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom