all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Recent Fitness-Related Purchases

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
I’ve added three different sizes of steel macebells to my collection. They’re an interesting addition. Can do lots of fun shoulder exercises, functional movements, ballistic movements, and asymmetrical movements. I don’t use them as the core of my training, but I like them for bulletproofing, prehab, and adding variety. One interesting movement I’ve tried with them is hanging a kettlebell on the same end as the mace ball and doing deadlifts. With the weight being asymmetrical on a moment arm, it changes the dynamics quite a bit.

No toe box worries when there is no toe box.
This concern was one of my early hurdles in the transition from 'normal' shoes to VFF (2008). I developed some back strain/pain because I was almost bent over deouble scanning the floor at my feet while running. but that resolved itself over time/effort/practice adn I'm able to run with good posture without kicking random things...usually ROFL.
I just clocked a total of 90km in these sandals in the past month, including an 18km long run on Sunday. My main challenge was fiddling with the straps until i got it 'just right', and now it's right. my calouses are developing in new spots, and the old calouses (at my heels) are smoothening out.

The rings add-on for the Duonamic Eleviia: Duonamic Rings | Duonamic

I currently have my old, yet trusty Perfect Fitness Doorway Pullup Bar set up with NOSSK suspention trainer for dips, and the Eleviia at another doorway for pullups, so that I can do my Easy Muscle, Schedule C workouts without having to change the NOSSK settings for alternating between pullups and dips.

@GaryT, good for you for doing a 40 kg goblet squat!

Based on your picture, a couple of quotes from S&S for you, referencing the print edition, if you don't mind the suggestions:

Page 20: Wedge your elbows against your knees - exactly against the inner quads.

Page 22: Do not allow the elbows to drop.
Edited: I disagree with the advice, and I will appreciate a pm about it.

Last edited:
Just picked up one of those lifting mouth guards!
Feel like I’m on the verge of drooling when doing yoke.
But if it saves the teeth!
A few months ago I asked my dentist about me getting one of these. He said he's able to tell if a person grinds their teeth or not, and he told me I didn't, so I haven't bothered.

-S-

A few months ago I asked my dentist about me getting one of these. He said he's able to tell if a person grinds their teeth or not, and he told me I didn't, so I haven't bothered.

-S-
I caught myself clenching when doing some squats and decided I should just take care of it now before its a problem. Just finished my second workout with it and am liking it so far.
But really does take some getting used to for some reason. I can't do my "tuba cheeks" when lifting without drooling a bit now. Which probably isn't a bad thing.

I caught myself clenching when doing some squats and decided I should just take care of it now before its a problem.
Same. Generally, I don't have a jaw clenching issue, but I've seen myself doing it occasionally on heavy lifts lately. Probably chilling on the caffeine intake would be a good idea but I'm not sure I'll cure the addiction anytime soon so...

Same. Generally, I don't have a jaw clenching issue, but I've seen myself doing it occasionally on heavy lifts lately. Probably chilling on the caffeine intake would be a good idea but I'm not sure I'll cure the addiction anytime soon so...
My wife says I'm not allowed to quit coffee again unless she is out of the house for two weeks.

That said, i am down to just two cups a day!

I used to read my neighbor’s Strength and Health magazine as a teenager trying to get stronger for athletics. This magazine was published by Bob Hoffman of York Barbell Company.

On a recent trip to PA from GA I realized I was close to York, PA. So, I had to go visit the YBC for nostalgia’s sake.

The retail store was like being in a candy store. I decided I needed a souvenir keep sake. After a very brief consideration of whether or not a hex bar would fit in my Camry (not) or the price would fit in my budget (also not), I decided to pick up some leg weights. They will presumably be good for a little putting around the house and some therapeutic ankle exercises. Perhaps most impactful though will be the decals to place in my home gym to help pump the adrenaline.

Attachments

• IMG_E4402.JPG
    IMG_E4402.JPG
    216.6 KB · Views: 15
I used to read my neighbor’s Strength and Health magazine as a teenager trying to get stronger for athletics. This magazine was published by Bob Hoffman of York Barbell Company.

On a recent trip to PA from GA I realized I was close to York, PA. So, I had to go visit the YBC for nostalgia’s sake.

The retail store was like being in a candy store. I decided I needed a souvenir keep sake. After a very brief consideration of whether or not a hex bar would fit in my Camry (not) or the price would fit in my budget (also not), I decided to pick up some leg weights. They will presumably be good for a little putting around the house and some therapeutic ankle exercises. Perhaps most impactful though will be the decals to place in my home gym to help pump the adrenaline.
Next time you go to York check out a place called the Emporium.

I grew up about 50 miles from York, and after school, I settled in York. I met Bob Hoffman at the Yorktowne Hotel's seafood buffet one Friday evening. I introduced myself and he was quite personable. He asked where I was from, (Lebanon, Pa.) and he said he bought a lot of his cast iron weights from the foundries in my hometown. I also visited the old York BB gym on Ridge Ave. and saw the late John Grimek walking down the hallway, when he was an editor/contributor to Muscular Development magazine. I too used to read all of the Strength & Health mags. I'm glad you got to stop at YBC.

Not sure if these apply , but they just came in the mail.

Screenshot_20221204-125511__01.jpg

I have purchased electronic versions, which I read or listen to from time to time. I plan to use these to be perused at bedtime, without a screen shining directly into my eyes.

And as a professional whose work product is a technical document or drawing, I know that ink on paper always renders differently than graphics on screen.

I do intend to reach sinister in time, and Q&D has always been profitable. And sometimes batteries run out.

Back
Top Bottom