all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Recharing one's batteries and having sedentary job

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

AJ_

Level 4 Valued Member
Hi, I work as computer programmer and I've been struggling for a long time to find myself a routine that would make me feel better and recharge me during my workday. It feels to me that sitting all day long at my desk wears me down a lot.
I train 2x a week, taking breaks during my workday, stretch or for example do Ido's squat routine but I still feel physically worn down when I'm leaving the office.
Of course I am aware that sitting 8 hours a day is hell and should be avoided at all costs. But we're in 21st century so I'd prefer to adapt my daily routine to this.
Because I believe I am not the only one here who has a sedentary job I'd like to ask how you do this to feel good and stay strong during your work days.

Hi @AJ

I work a desk job, too. Full time IT, then I work part time at the gym as a trainer. 13 years ago at age 38 I was in lousy shape, relative to where I am today at age 51 after adding a lot of bike riding and then strength training to my life. So I understand. Personally I don't think it's the sitting, specifically -- it's the overall balance of being sedentary and not training. I still don't do a lot "during" my 8 hours at the desk job other than try to get out and walk around the block a bit, and every once in a while I'll add in some push-ups somewhere or something like that. But I do have focused training sessions (usually M, W, and F morning before work; 90 min or so) and still ride my bike on the weekend. And I still could do better, but that has worked pretty well for me over the years!

So generally I think probably you're de-trained and just need to build up your strength and work capacity. Most well-designed programs can help with that. Anything you're particularly interested in following, or any specific goals you could outline?

Hi @AJ

I work a desk job, too. Full time IT...

You might be right with the overall strength. Like I said, I train twice a week for 60 mins. Currently slam ball circuits to increase my work capacity. But even though I've certainly improved in some areas and this type of training is also more fun to me, it seems that it doesn't compensate"my sitting" that good. Before that my training plan was rather less repetitions and smaller number of sets - pull ups, dead lifts, dips and I was able to sit for eight hours and felt better than now (although this wasn't perfect either).

I don't have specific goals - I just want to be strong to be even able to do my job and still feel like a human or to be able to move a wardrobe when necessary (just examples ;) ).

Perhaps, I could also add one more session per week to see how it works.

@AJ, fellow coder here, I can resonate with everything you mentioned.

In my experience, no matter what you do, you will to some degree feel worn down, physically and also psychologically. Although our job is mostly sitting, the mental effort plays into it.

A few things where I am trying to build habits for some time now:
  • Sleep: It is not about getting up early, more important is when and how you go to sleep.
  • Nutrition. Most of use eat way more than we need and the wrong stuff. Tiredness fools the body and gives you the feeling of hunger.
  • Breathing: Hot, dry air, mental stress and more factors let you over breathe. Buteyko method helped a great deal improving this. You might reach out to @Steve Freides and @Al Ciampa who are both Buteyko instructors.
  • Movement: There are many options of how you can add movement to what looks like a sedentary job. Use your commute to add some LSD, try to get a standing-desk, add some push-ups and pistols GTG style. It all depends on your office situation of course. A law firm certainly has different etiquette than a creative agency.
  • More Movement: Build a habit and start S&S or any other GPP like programme.

Great topic! I think this recharging during the sedentary workday is a problem most of us have to deal with. I have tried to tackle the issue by having a 28kg kettlebell and a pull-up bar at the office. I use them for GTG presses and chin-ups doing a couple of reps whenever I leave my room. Also, the office kettlebell is great for some additional swings to activate your glutes every now and then. It takes a while to build a routine that is light enough not to interfere with your training but regular enough to stick. I've been running some press heavy programs lately (ROP & Dry Fighting Weight) so GTG pull-ups at work fill the holes just great.

I've really enjoyed commuting by bike, too. It gives me some weekly 5-8 hours of light/moderate aerobic training. Of course this option is highly dependent on distance between your home and workplace. I happen to live some nine kilometers from my work, and I can ride most of that distance through the Helsinki Central Park.

I've really enjoyed commuting by bike, too. It gives me some weekly 5-8 hours of light/moderate aerobic training. Of course this option is highly dependent on distance between your home and workplace.
This is all relative of course...
At one point in time I was commuting by bike over 30km each way. Rain or shine. I know some guys that go way more than that as well..?

That's a respectable distance for sure! I assume your body adapts quite easily to a high volume of light training. Of course, riding 60km daily demands pretty high fitness level and some hours in the saddle. I really doubt that I could pull that off, at least off the couch.

I've been a desk jockey for almost 20 years. always felt run down... the biggest change for me is a stand up desk. I got one about 4 years ago and I stand about 6-7 hr a day. I'm almost always in constant motion. Shifting weight to each leg, leg forward/backward, standing on a slantboard, etc.... Also a great recommendation on a book is Deskbound by Kelly Starrett

That's a respectable distance for sure! I assume your body adapts quite easily to a high volume of light training. Of course, riding 60km daily demands pretty high fitness level and some hours in the saddle. I really doubt that I could pull that off, at least off the couch.

You could ease into that by using a pedelec or s-pedelec.

Currently slam ball circuits to increase my work capacity.

Yeah, this will only do so much. I'd say focus on a strength-building program. Any type of direct "work capacity" training will only get you so strong, then the strength adaptations will stop, and all you're doing is burning calories.

Other good suggestions above. I have a standing desk and use it sometimes, but I haven't found it to do anything miraculous, honestly.

I'd say just get on a strength-building program and challenge yourself. Tell your body you want some new capabilities!

I don't think the 8 hours of desk work are your big problem. Get enough sleep. Make sure you are not too heavy (40 inch waist measure for men is also simple and a decent marker for being too fat) and de-conditioned. Make sure your diet is in order, you get enough sun exposure, make sure you are not using too many stimulants like coffee, sugar, etc.

If you have poor posture or underdeveloped muscles fix this as well. I like hanging from a pull up bar for this and I usually do some calisthenics like hindu pushups, cossack squats, back bridge, etc at least once a day.

For general health and well being most government and non-government agencies recommend something like the equivalent of 120-150 minutes of aerobic training and 2 weekly training seasons for all your muscles. No idea how your slam ball training fits into this. This sites offers plenty of options that might be better suited for you. (S&S, Maffetone Method, Calisthenics, A+A, etc)

Nutrition. Most of use eat way more than we need and the wrong stuff. Tiredness fools the body and gives you the feeling of hunger.
I've been thinking for some time to test some diets to find out what works for me. I don't think my diet habits are bad but it's not a bad idea to test some and see how it goes.

Regarding the breathing, I am interested in this a lot. There's a Second Wind seminar in Prague in June so I'm curious what I'll learn there.

Great topic! I think this recharging during the sedentary workday is a problem most of us have to deal with. I have tried to tackle the issue by having a 28kg kettlebell and a pull-up bar at the office...

This was one option I was considering but it's not really possible in our office (lots of people, little space). But I'm lucky to work from home regularly and I can do anything I want there. It just started to feel that it didn't really work and that's why started this topic.

And I'm also starting commuting by bike next month!

I've been a desk jockey for almost 20 years. always felt run down... the biggest change for me is a stand up desk.

Getting standing desk is problematic in our office. Originally I was thinking of buying myself one home but then decided not to because I can exercise while working at home as I wish.

I'd say just get on a strength-building program and challenge yourself. Tell your body you want some new capabilities!

I think that switching training program is must in my case. I trained with kettlebells and bodyweight in past (apart from slam ball ;) ) so I might give a try to some barbell program. Looks interesting and I go to the gym where's the instructor who understands the subject.

I also spoke with some other people who I know are in a good shape and also have desk jobs and none of them cared about moving much during work (except for some walking). They rather focus on quality training after that. I always thought I had to move regularly to compensate the sitting but seeing the evidence, I'll change my attitude more to the quality training after work and don't stress myself much with moving while at work.

Last edited:
I also spoke with some other people who I know are in a good shape and also have desk jobs and none of them cared about moving much during work (except for some walking).

The best thing you can do for yourself at work is maintain/improve good posture habits. Long hours at a desk or even at a stand up desk (which I have) are a where posture helps or hurts. My job entails mostly desk work, some walking, infrequent but very challenging efforts as I reset the equipment for the next run - manually moving rolls of paper weighing 3/4 ton.

I keep a wedge to alternate standing on for keeping my calves stretched out, a block to do standing calf pressing, the rest of the time I try to keep tabs on posture, shifting weight on my feet etc.

If I wasn't out on the production floor in a common area, I might occasionally use some plyo footwork drills too (and I might begin to use them anyway). Recently testing these out and realized there is a lot of low-hanging fruit to be picked, but will need to program them into a periodized block - no room for them in my current rotation...except at work...

Diet and strength training. Slam ball is a great tool in the box, but it should always be complementary/secondary to strength/hypertrophy work.

Reactions: AJ_
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom