all posts post new thread

Reclaiming Simple

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
6/10/16

Aerobic session. As I am not a runner I would aim to have this as a ruck/hike in some nice bit of countryside. Unfortunatly that wasn't an option today so instead loaded my backpack with 10kg of plates and set off for 2.16miles. HR was about 100-120 the whole walk. I think I'll slowly break myself into this (taking advice from Al Ciampa's article) and work towards a MAF heartrate with more weight when my legs feel solid enough to take it. Slowly slowly. Good way to start the day though!

Later- RIS practice. Big focus on the hips. One day I shall splits. Felt good afterwards.

Last edited:
7/10/16 Got a 6kg mace. Played with it a bit

8/10/16 Reset
Pull up +8kg 5,4,3,2,2
Parallel bar dip +8kg 5x5
Double swings with 2x32kg 3x10

Heavy but long rests make it all work well.

9/10/16 -
Unable to attend Tae Kwon Do class today as I was seeing a talk from Tony Robinson (Blackadder, Time Team). So I did 50 minutes of TKD practice at home, warmup, flexibility, tul, line work, kicks, kicks and strikes. Kept my HR up for the whole 50mins. Felt great. Back to class on Tuesday hopefully.

10/10/16
Reset
Famers carry total bodyweight - 20m x4
TKD pattern practice focusing on power and sine wave
24kg one arm KB push press superset with sitting(horse) stance punches 10 reps right, punches, 10 reps left, punches x 3
So after today I realise how undervalued push presses have been in my program over the years, this was really surprising, and I'm glad I'm using this template currently.

I've decided I will enter the TSC in April 17 so my training for that will start in Jan 17. Until then I'm just going to have fun and get stronger with this program.

Later:
Relax into stretch. Really waited out the tension on the last split progression - straddle position. Was sat there for 15 minutes, that was not a fun experience but my hips felt great afterwards...once I could move.

11/10/16
Tae Kwon Do. Interesting session - looking at striking power, kime and all that kind of thing in a very slow tai-chi like fashion. Doing patterns in time with breathing was my big takeaway for an interesting relaxing way to move through movements.

12/10/16
Strength endurance day
Reset
TGU singles 5 each side 32kg
Russian hot potato twist (instead of full contact twist) with 16kg 10x3
Baby crawling (instead of rope climbing) 3minutes forward. Quite amazed about how tiring this was, but not done it in quite a while
Double clean 24kg follow by 20m rack carry -5,4,3,2,1. Really different feeling.
Moved through TKD patterns in time with deep breathing. Good way to relax and come out of the end of a surprisingly hard (but enjoyable) session.

Thoughts on today and the program as a whole:
Today was great. Very interesting doing a day which was quite focused on loaded carries of one form or another.
The program as a whole allows all those variety itches I might have to get scratched. I'm doing it without access to a barbell and have had to experiment with choices in the strength days, but I think going into the second run through of the two weeks I have it sorted in my head.
It's nice to have a varied GPP program which also has specific martial arts practice in it and an aerobic day which I can make a ruck day.
There are no specific goals, but I might write my own for this program. You cover a lot of movements and can improve in a lot of them by becoming more systemically strong.
I quite like the variability in length of session. The strength sessions can last up to an hour, whereas the metcon can take 15minutes. It's nice to be working on a lot of attributes at once, realising that you are not aiming to be an expert in any lift.

Going into the second two weeks I am going to run it like this.
Strength 1: Weighted pull up, Heavy double swings
Strength endurance 1: TGUs
ROTK grind complex with double 24's (I see this day as pretty much a day to do any complex you want and I always like the look of this. Also can work on my double snatch, my double clean is solid)
Metcon 1:Farmers carry
10x10 1hand swings
Aerobic: Ruck progressing to max speed

Strength 2: Deadlift with double KBs, this is 88kg for me, and with the addition of other smaller weights I can boost it up to almost 100kg. I haven't done so much deadlifting in the past and this would actually not be a terrible way to address it without the temptation of doing a 1RM every session. Weighted dips
Metcon 2: Farmers carry
1H push press with 24kg 10x3 superset with seated stance punch practice. This was awesome last week.
Strength endurance 2. Same as today's session - Rope climbing is replaced with crawling and full contact twist is replaced by Russian hot potato twist. This is purely due to access to equipment.
Aerobic: Ruck progressing to max speed/ adding distance.

My aims with this program are as follows:
1. Achieve a 24kg pull up.
2. Achieve a 32kg weighted dip
3. Do all my TGUs with 40kg by January.
4. Enjoy my rucking.
5. Be stronger in Tae Kwon Do sessions with greater endurance

13/10/16

Got up early to do my rucking. Good aerobic session. HR averaged 139bpm getting up to 154bpm. 32mins 2.3miles on the flat. Really focused on technique as outlined in Al Ciampa's article.

14/10/16

Reset
Pullups +8kg 5×5 will increase to 10kg next session
Heavy swings -2hand 40kg. Felt really tired this session so backed off on the heaby swing weight. Glad I did

27y/o with a little milage, just recovered from some ileopsoal bursitis and cleared from the physio point of view. The last couple of years have been pretty stressful (almost entirely due to work) and my focus has been variable to say the least. I've flipped around programs like no ones business. I previously acheived simple and was regilalry swinging 48kg and doing TGUs with 40kg about 2 and a half years ago.

I have recently started Tae Kwon-do twice a week and want to return to a reasonable level of GPP. I've spent the last 18 months or so looking mainly at my double c&p and I think I have negelcted my cardio and explosive strength a fair bit. I tried lazy endurance with a 40kg Kb recently but I think a bigger step back is needed.

This is going to be a big test of my ego, but I am going to start S&S from the very beginning using a 24kg for both exercises.
The only indulgences I'm going to have in the form of variety are as follows:
1. Give flexibility the time it deserves with some RIS, at present looking at good mornings, hip flexor kneeling stretch and karate stance groin stretch.
2. Sandbag carries on occasion, they're fun.
3. Walking for mental health not exercise (though I'm often with one carrying everything).

Goals: simple again.
I walk too, but I consider it to be decent exercise, not just for the mind, but for the mind too of course.

16/10/16
Tae Kwon Do. Good session with a fairly brutal conditioning warmup. Sort of feel like a greater emphasis should be placed on my conditioning that on my strength soon. Maybe a shift back to S&S is on the cards at some point. I do miss those light days with their overspeed eccentric swings. I'm going on a 1 day SFG course at the end of the month so hopefully once I've had my swing and getup looked at I can make some more progress with those moves. Right now it's all GPP but I do miss the simplicity. I guess when I have plenty of variety I miss simplicity and when I have plenty of simplicity I miss variety.

17/10/16

Reset
TGU 32kg 3/3
Complex with double 24s - Lucky '13 from MKM. This is Swing5, Clean5, Reverse Lunge5 each side, see-saw press5
I did this twice through as my legs were tired out from some squat jumps that happened last night. S&S remains appealing.

18/10/16

Tae Kwon Do. Feeling a bit out of condition. I think I have neglected my conditioning a little too much recently. So here comes a predictable decision - time to head back to S&S. Let's get to Sinister in the next year! Will keep some LSD rucking work going. Although the plan I had recently started was good I don't think it's what I need right now.

19/10/16

S+S warmup
Swings 1H 24kg 10×10. Will work back up to 32kg. Felt good.
TGU 32kg 5×1

Ruck with 15kg pack. 3.1miles. Same route load and pace as last time.but average HR was 122 (138 last time) can't really explain that tbh! Maybe I was listening to a scary audiobook last time? Working up distance now I'm covering a mile in <15mins.

20/10/16

S&S warmup
1H swing 24,32,24,24,24
TGU 32,40,32,32,32

Taekwondo practice 30minutes. Played with the macebell as well for a bit

21/10/16

S&S warmup
1H swing 24,32,24,24,24
TGU 32,40,32,32,32

3.4mile ruck with 15kg pack. HR still a bit low (118bpm) really worked the arm drive. Think I might have to up the weight again soon. Maybe up to 20kg next session. Did a lot of other non-exercise based walking today and my hips felt a bit tight. Will need to do some gentle mobility work this evening. I am a big fan of the endorphine rush that rucking gives me.

2/4/10/16

Two days off training. Almost unheard of!

Today - S&S warmup
1H swing 24 10x10 - realised there were some issues with my swings when going heavier. Going to an SFG user course at the end of the week so good to focus on that there.
Bentpress to Getdown 32,32,32,36,40

Have fun at the SFG course. I'm waiting on one to be scheduled nearby - probably not until January.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom