all posts post new thread

Barbell Recommend me a minimalist Barbell Program

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Hey,

There is nothing funny at all in my opinion. Indeed, a program with only a few moves is more "sustainable" - meaning easy to understand, easy to set up (in terms of sets, reps and rest periods). Thus a program based on bench press, squats, etc...as it was proposed is achieving a "simple goal": general preparation.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Dont take it as harsh - its like going to doctor and saying" give me some meds, antibiotics i like" but we dont know for what disease ;) i like simple Even more but you wont increase your squats By doing kb presses and pull ups... For each goal there is a tool. Also programs for 3 days a week for example texas method are simple and minimimalistic BUT geared towards interm. Athlete who wants to improve squat Bench and deadlift

More detals would be great :)

Also, program on main site is for barbell squat is REALLY nice. ;) if she cares about squats that is. And we all know everyone needs more squats.

IT IS REALLY NICE! Whenever I get access to a barbell again I'm gonna hit that for zercher squats.

I'll second the vote for PTTP. One can substitute the kettlebell military press for the barbell side press. If your wife (or anyone else) does this, I'm happy to chime in with a few more details about implementing this that I've found effective.

-S-

There are a lot of ways to run PTTP with the kettlebell military press instead of the barbell side press. The simplest is a one-to-one substitution. In order to bring some of the things the sidepress brings into the program, finish each set, when the final rep is overhead, with one of these: windmill; overhead walk; very small movements of the weight in lockout, e.g., very small circles; prying shoulder movement - try to push forward a little from the shoulder, this as opposed to trying to put the weight further behind you.

Another option is to pair PTTP deadlifts with a higher-rep pressing program done 3x/week. Think of this one as almost the ROP from ETK but with barbell deadlifts instead of swings. About 15 total DL reps per session will yield the same weekly total as by-the-book PTTP 5x/week. If doing sets of 3 sets of 5, optionally back off further for the 3rd set.

-S-

Thanks Steve,
I suspected ROP presses would mix well with the DL's
I've been doings deads and benches, but my shoulders are getting a little achy. I'm really only concerned with increasing my deadlift to a respectable number so switching to the military press may be a good option for me.

I've been doings deads and benches, but my shoulders are getting a little achy. I'm really only concerned with increasing my deadlift to a respectable number so switching to the military press may be a good option for me.
Barbell military press and double kettlebell press both present enough load to the lower back that, all other things being equal, I don't recommend them with a serious deadlift program, but the one-arm kettlebell military press is an excellent fit, just like the barbell sidepress is.

-S-

I had good experience with Stronglifts 5x5. About 5 years ago I used it for 10 months and got pretty strong.

A
Squat
Bench
Barbell row

B
Squat
Overhead press
Deadlift

Day on, day off

It's similar to an old Reg Park routine. I think it's still around if you google it. 5x5 routines have been around forever.

Barbell Lifts only to cover all bases? I'd open up with the overhead squat - its the TGU of the barbell world. After that, several bases were covered in the prior replys.
I love the overhead squat, and snatch balance variations. But, the Barbell TGU is the get up of the barbell world. It is much more challenging than the kettlebell version in balance and overhead stability.

I personally have seen some nice gains in the past with training Front Squats and Pull-Ups, I tried both 5x5 and PTTP style wave loading 100% 90% etc... both worked well but with slightly different effects, 5x5 seemed to stimulate more growth, cycling gave more of a pure strength gain. I found them quite complimentary because the squats would create a mild tension in the lower back while pull ups would solve the problem. I personally put it down to the spinal compression that squats can cause and decompression from hanging at the bottom of the pull ups opening the back up again, I could be wrong though, just a theory, but it seemed to work very well when I alternated sets. 1 set of squats, 1 set of pullups with appropriate rests between sets. I personally used around 3 minute rests and would do some mild back bends during rest intervals.

I have never tried it but I also have wondered how successful a PTTP style program consisting of Deadlifts and KB Bent Press/ or Windmill would be. It is something I plan to try after I achieve my current hypertrophy aim

I personally have seen some nice gains in the past with training Front Squats and Pull-Ups, I tried both 5x5 and PTTP style wave loading 100% 90% etc... both worked well but with slightly different effects, 5x5 seemed to stimulate more growth, cycling gave more of a pure strength gain. I found them quite complimentary because the squats would create a mild tension in the lower back while pull ups would solve the problem. I personally put it down to the spinal compression that squats can cause and decompression from hanging at the bottom of the pull ups opening the back up again, I could be wrong though, just a theory, but it seemed to work very well when I alternated sets. 1 set of squats, 1 set of pullups with appropriate rests between sets. I personally used around 3 minute rests and would do some mild back bends during rest intervals.

I have never tried it but I also have wondered how successful a PTTP style program consisting of Deadlifts and KB Bent Press/ or Windmill would be. It is something I plan to try after I achieve my current hypertrophy aim

Hanging or pull-ups with the cat/camel drill between sets of squats, deadlifts, presses, and at the end of your workout is great for spinal decompression. I do it all the time. It allows fresh blood oxygenated to enter between discs.

I have done S&S style bent presses and PTTP deadlifts together with great results. I would not recommend PTTP bent press unless you are very proficient. I only go as high as 3 rep@80%. 90% and above is taxing on the CNS.

Last edited:
Thanks for the insights, I had that idea myself about spinal decompression, but Im no expert. As for the bent press/ deads routine I think I will try it in a few months, I have been wondering about it, it just doesnt seem like it would suit my current goals but I do think it would build very functional strength, its nice to know someone else has gotten good results from it.

From Marty Gallagher (for special forces)

Day 1
Squat
Bench

Day 2
Deadlift
Press (overhead)

Work up to a top set of 8, 5 or 3 reps. Shouldn't take more than 30 minutes per session.

Wasn't sure whether to bump this old thread or start a new one.

@Marlon Leon or anyone else... Do you have more info on this program? Is it in one of Gallagher's books or articles?

Thanks.

If you are going very simple PTTP is the way to go. I have been following a template from Tactical Barbell recently. It gives several options for the busy person, and allows you to customize your programming to fit your schedule. It is great for me as I still want to train endurance to be able to excel in the 1.5 mile run for our department fitness test and still be strong. I've been doing it for 2 months now and really enjoy the flexibility of the program.

@Tirofijo , I should mention, you definitely don't need the book to do that program or figure out how to do it well. A few times trying at it and you'll likely figure how you want to set it up. The book is good, and if you have the money to burn it's a fine buy, but I wouldn't buy it if that routine is your only interest.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom