all posts post new thread

Nutrition Recommendation for losing belly fat

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Sean M

Level 7 Valued Member
Eat good food, not too much, lift heavy, walk often.

[EDIT] - This thread was posted in two different forum sections. I have combined them and if the combined results don't make sense in some places, it's because what you're seeing is the combination of two thread.

Please do not double post - all such threads will be combined.

This note will be posted at the top, and also the current most recent post in this thread, in order to try to avoid confusion on the reader's part.

-S-
[/EDIT]

Last edited by a moderator:
It depends of course, but I increase sun exposure and sleep, while cutting lifting by about 1/3.

That's right: lift less.

I maintain two walks a day with the dog.

Loaded walking or rucking helped me loss fat (3-5 text books and a guitar so 20lbs, for pretty far distances breifly in collage)

Swing more, eat less junk, add some consistent cardio.. monitor and adjust as you go. My brother lost 100 lbs doing S&S coupled with modified Atkins, there are many methods out there but I suggest finding one that suits you and your lifestyle.

When I want to cut fat I eat less and stay more active. There are some do's and dont's involved though. You'll have to do some research and experimentation to find what works for you.

I have lost waist size but it's the last couple of inches that I'm stuck at. I've been doing intervals and S&S.

I have lost waist size but it's the last couple of inches that I'm stuck at. I've been doing intervals and S&S.

Have you looked at how a fasting regimen would fit in? I do 16 hr fasts 2-3 times/wk. I'm no expert on this stuff but I do know the body will hold onto fat if you eat less. It's a catch-22. You may have to eat less more often to entice the the body to let go of the 'famine' response.

I'm sure there others more knowledgeable on this on the forum. Have you posted in the 'Diet and Nutrition' section of the forum?

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for losing the last two inches around my waist? I've lost two inches already by restricting calories. These last couple of inches are stubborn.

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for losing the last two inches around my waist? I've lost two inches already by restricting calories. These last couple of inches are stubborn.
I'm at the same place as you. My plan is to get stronger maintaining my bodyweight. I think that should do it.

Where do your estimate your body fat percentage now? What is your abdomen circumference divided by height?

It was relatively easy for me to get down to ~20%, but I’m finding it’s a whole different thing to get down to 15%.

“They” say you should eat 10-13 calories per pound of current weight for a fat loss deficit. Start with 12 and adjust down by 1/pound/week, or up to 13 if you are losing too fast.

Try intermittent fasting - skip breakfast, or eat breakfast and lunch but fast until the next breakfast.

I remember, Ori Hofmekler talks about stubborn fat in his book Anti-Estrogenic book. I forget the details, but the title gives the clue. I am in the same position too, more than a couple inches though. As for me, as long I am in good health (good metabolic indicators) , and strong, I am not going to worry about it. It is a nice to have for aesthetic reasons and good looks

I don't think I'm good at estimating bodyfat but I'd say between 20-15% maybe but could be wrong. I'm 5' 11" 175 lbs. Abdomen circumference divided by height is .507. So I guess You could round that off to .51. My waist is currently 36 inches but I've had it easy at 34" when I was 170 lbs. Winter time got the best of me, Lol. But I was recentlly 170 lbs but my waist was still 36". The 12 calorie thing, I'm probably eating a little below that now. It comes out to 2100 calories. I'm eating between 1900-1600 calories a day. I tried the intermittent fasting thing in the past for a couple of months. It worked great but doing physical work everyday I would be out of energy by 11 am. When I ate I felt like I wanted to go to sleep. My waist went down to an all time low for me of 33". But I couldn't perform my job. If I didn't work it would be great, Lol.

[EDIT] - This thread was posted in two different forum sections. I have combined them and if the combined results don't make sense in some places, it's because what you're seeing is the combination of two thread.

Please do not double post - all such threads will be combined.

This note will be posted at the top, and also the current most recent post in this thread, in order to try to avoid confusion on the reader's part.

-S-
[/EDIT]

It's of course 100% normal to find it harder to lose the last bits than the first bit. I had great success by doing a combination of a few things to get from 10-12% to 8-9%.

1. incorporate intermittent fasting. I would skip breakfast and have my first meal at 12:30 to 1pm after a lifting session. Dinner at 6-6:30 and do it again.
2. less intense version of IF - low carb breakfast. My staple was two fried eggs with spinach, some cheese, and salsa.
3. Increasing activity without increasing intake. At the time for me this was BJJ for 1.5 hours 2x a week.
4. Cutting down half my added sugar intake. This went down as far as <25g of added sugar a day. I found 70-80% dark chocolate often had less than 10g of sugar per serving, and I love it anyway. Helps the sweet tooth at a great cost.

I would surmise cutting down sugar had the greatest effect but I can't say for sure.

@Shawn, if you’ve recently lost weight, first of all, congratulations.

Now that there is less of you, all other things being equal, you’ll need fewer calories for maintenance than you used to if you wish to continue losing.

-S-

I'm confused, ok. I'll just figure it out myself.

Ultimately it is all about the math. You have to burn more calories than you consume, and these calories can be fats, carbs, or both. It also helps to do some MetCon type activity to keep the metabolism high as well training often as you can tolerate.

Food discipline at least when it comes to portion sizes is a huge help. Once the body really gets rolling at a higher metabolism, small reductions relative to your maintenance intake will quickly produce visible differences.

Keep a good food log if you are serious about this, you are unlikely to make headway without this step. Train hard, remove items or reduce portion sizes.

Is there a way to measure one's metabolism? What are some of the method to make sure it stays high? What would be some examples of metcon activity? I think my metabolism has suffered over the years.

I'm confused, ok. I'll just figure it out myself.

Everything stated above is true, however, here are some tricks that helped me lost 20lb

1. Replace junk food with healthier junk food. Instead of eating chips, eat nuts. Instead of eating ice cream, eat yogurt. You get the gist, adjust it according to your dietary restrictions etc.

2. Don't eat too much. Use a 9 inch plate. Make 1/2 of it veggies/salad, the other half some kind of protein. If you really want starchy carbs (might put you back a little) reduce some of the veggies or protein.

3. Go for a walk every day. Try to do 1 hour. Put on a podcast, music or audiobook. Keep moving. It is better to be consistent than the go all out on a workout and rest for 2 days. You get more done being consistent all the time.

4. Drink water. Don't drink anything with extra sugar etc.

5. If you can stick with the above without cheating then your fundamentals are good, and can start experimenting with tactical things to see if it gives you an edge or not.

Is there a way to measure one's metabolism? What are some of the method to make sure it stays high? What would be some examples of metcon activity? I think my metabolism has suffered over the years.

It can mean a couple of things. Resting Metabolic Rate is one, usually correlated with EPOC. Another way of looking at it is recovery from metabolic stress due to higher intensity training.

To me, these are the two I'm referring to, both are related to training intensity.

Many studies show that lots of things can effect short term metabolic rate such as coffee or even drinking cold water.

Metcons, as I understand them, are usually circuit training, designed to get you training at or very near HR max for long period of time (relatively), by switching movements and limiting rest periods. Very similar to HIIT except with a traditional metcon you get shorter rest periods and greater variety of movements. These are not good for everyday but can juice you pretty good, taking several days to recover 100% according to some studies.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom