all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Recommendations for a new Program?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

NormanOsborn

Level 5 Valued Member
I started S & S back in March this year, when my country(Scotland)went into Lockdown mode. Until then I hadn't even picked up a Kettlebell, but it was the only option available to me apart from bodyweight training since all the gyms were closed.

Three months later the gyms are still closed and while I haven't completed Simple and Sinister, I do feel much stronger. I now understand why people talk about the, "What the Hell?!" effect. I especially love Swings. Such a powerful, dynamic exercise.:cool: I've decided that KB's will remain a part of my training even after I return to barbell training and Martial Arts.

However, I'm beginning to feel a little bit ground down by doing the same workout 5 - 6 days per week. It's possible I've reached the point of diminishing returns with such high volume, as I had to stop my workout halfway through Swinging my 32kg last night after sharp pain in my knee. Obviously, I'm going to rest for the next few days, and seek medical attention if it recurs. But I'm also considering trying a new Program, and would welcome suggestions as to which one to pick.

For the record, I have three Bells: 16kg, 24kg and 32kg.

Thank you in advance.

At one point, I was alternating training days with tiers of training with a single weight. The idea was to start with a new heavier weight, then progress through the tiers, replacing training days with harder versions as I went along. Undulating them could work for some variety.

Tier 1 (Low)Tier 2 (M)Tier 3 (H)
10x10 2H Swing
10x1 C&J + Get-Down
10x10 1H Swing
10x1 TGU
3-5 Rounds
1/1x TGU
2/2x Clean & Press
3/3x Snatch
4/4x Clean & Jerk
5/5x Swing

There is more than one way to get to timeless Simple.

Following the program as written is one way.

I never followed it as written, because I interleave kettlebell and barbell training.

This made the strength and conditioning components of S&S of little concern, as I was getting that elsewhere.

This left only the skilling to work on.

There is more than one way to get to timeless Simple.

Following the program as written is one way.

I never followed it as written, because I interleave kettlebell and barbell training.

This made the strength and conditioning components of S&S of little concern, as I was getting that elsewhere.

This left only the skilling to work on.

Unfortunately, since the gyms won't reopen in my town for at least another month, KB's are pretty much the only S & C tools I have. Apart from bodyweight, of course.

Total Package, ROP, Q&D, etc. plenty of options out there to change things up and keep improving. Read up on the others, pick one that looks good to you and dedicate the time and effort needed and you should do well.

I am personally liking the adaptability of Total Package to meet my Needs.

Total Package, ROP, Q&D, etc. plenty of options out there to change things up and keep improving. Read up on the others, pick one that looks good to you and dedicate the time and effort needed and you should do well.

I am personally liking the adaptability of Total Package to meet my Needs.

I did consider Quick and Dead, but thought it was too advanced for a relative Noob like myself.

Thank you to everyone who took the time and trouble to reply. After due consideration, and several days rest, I've decided to stay with Simple & Sinister. It's a good program, and I don't want to stop doing it just because I had a single bad session.

Wish me luck! :D

Thank you to everyone who took the time and trouble to reply. After due consideration, and several days rest, I've decided to stay with Simple & Sinister. It's a good program, and I don't want to stop doing it just because I had a single bad session.

Wish me luck! :D

It all depends on what you like, and what your goals are (as others have said). S/S will cut fat, condition you, and make you stronger.

There are programs what are better for strength.
There are programs that are better for conditioning..

S/S is a great balance.

You could use S&S for recovery days and then look at something like "Armour Building Complex" for other strength and conditioning stuff, that should keep you entertained for 4 to 8 weeks. If you have double bells, then that is easy, if not, using different size bells adds to the fun. Just remmeber to switch the sides for the bells ;)

@NormanOsborn, you'll find good options, thoroughly explained, in these two articles:

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom