all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Recommendations for a new Program?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

I am also on the Simple quest and did this at the beginning o the lockdown. I have doubles in 16/20/24, so I was able to down exercise with double KB. That being said, I highly recommend the program. I did DB KB Squats, single-arm press and pullups. I absolutely go stronger. The only thing I would do differently next time would maybe add some Farmers Walks on off days. Grip strength suffered a bit.

I also asked in the article comments if doing Day 1: Simple Difficult times, Day 2: S&S, Day 3: Off would be acceptable. Fabio said absolutely! But I ended up doing it straight. I liked the break from S&S. I will do S&S for another 6-8 weeks then do the second part of Simple Strength. He added another workout. If you read the comments in the second article, someone created a very cool sounding yearly program with the 2 plans, some Q&D and S&S. (I think I have the workouts correct, but it was in that vein)

You could use S&S for recovery days and then look at something like "Armour Building Complex" for other strength and conditioning stuff, that should keep you entertained for 4 to 8 weeks. If you have double bells, then that is easy, if not, using different size bells adds to the fun. Just remmeber to switch the sides for the bells ;)

I'm sorry, but what's Armour Building Complex? I searched for it and found lots of references to it but not the program itself.

I only have three Bells: a 16kg, a 24kg and a 32kg. Although as you say, there is nothing to stop me switching sides during exercises.

I'm sorry, but what's Armour Building Complex? I searched for it and found lots of references to it but not the program itself.

I only have three Bells: a 16kg, a 24kg and a 32kg. Although as you say, there is nothing to stop me switching sides during exercises.
My first search revealed a SF article. I spelt it the English way, not the American ;) There isn't much out there for programming it, I think it is more of a filler for a couple of weeks, or a variety day practice, but:
  • Day 1: 5 rounds of Armour Building Complexes, every two minutes (10 minutes total)
  • Day 2: 3 rounds of Armour Building Complexes, every two minutes (6 minutes total)
  • Day 3: 4 rounds of Armour Building Complexes, every two minutes (8 minutes total)
This allows waving the load into Heavy/Light/Medium days. Or could use different weights for different days and keep the workout length the same. Or vary it. It depends on what you feel like or fancy doing. Certainly varying the loads with offset bells would be interesting.

In fact, my mind is racing over ideas.... Using a die, where
  • 1,2 = 16kg
  • 3,4 = 24kg
  • 5,6 = 32kg
Roll a die three times. First roll is the right hand, second roll is the left hand and the third is the number of rounds to do.

Just some thoughts :)

I've done Armor Building with mismatched bells (16 and 24 as it happens) and it works pretty well, just swap sides after each set. Obviously, that means you'll need to do even numbers of sets.

I think S&S is great when blended with 2 options imo;

Strength aerobics (article off this site)
Low volume type strength work (easy strength style)

Given your bell choices the strength aerobics would be the direction I would go... maybe set up a complex for each bell size for variety sake?
16kg= more mobility stuff like TGUs into windmills
24kg= grind type stuff like presses, squats, and snatch
32kg= more ballistics like swings and jerks

That's the nice thing about S&S it's a great general program that can blend with a lot of things... similar to PTTP deadlifts

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom