all posts post new thread

Recommendations/Reviews/FS/WTB Recommended 2" Collars/Clamps for Ab Pavelizer II?

Products recommendations and reviews, items For Sale or Wanted To Buy
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

CTD1

Level 4 Valued Member
Dear SFG Community,

I recently acquired an Ab Pavelizer II at a local Play It Again Sports. I noticed regular Olympic barbell 2" Spring Collars will not fit the loading bar. Do you know if the authentic Lock-Jaw OLY 2 or Lock-Jaw PRO 2 Olympic Barbell Collars would fit the Pavelizer? Here is the URL on Amazon.com:

I noticed in Pavel's Hardstyle Abs Book he utilized a pair of quick release collars such as these:

Does anyone have experience using collars that fit appropriately on the Ab Pavelizer II? Thank you for your assistance.

Kind Regards,
Chris

@CTD1, it's a standard size - whatever collars you want should work just fine, but I wouldn't bother with anything fancier than spring clips - they should work just fine.

-S-

I noticed regular Olympic barbell 2" Spring Collars will not fit the loading bar.
@CTD1, it's a standard size - whatever collars you want should work just fine, but I wouldn't bother with anything fancier than spring clips - they should work just fine.
Lots of "specialty" bars (farmer's walk bars and so forth), loading sleeves and loading pins are smaller than nominal 2" barbell sleeves. They are made of pipe that is often nominally 1.75" inside diameter, which in schedule 40 pipe has an outside diameter of 1.9". Spring clips do not fit these bars and many normal barbell collars do not fit well or at all.

Some of the collars on this page (Rogue Collars)will fit 1.9" bars, such as the Proloc "Strongman" collars and the HG and OSO "Axle" collars, as will the Croc Lock and Snapclips collars on this page (EliteFTS Collars). Many regular barbell collars that tighten with a screw will also fit, although often sloppily.

But do you even need collars with a Pavelizer? You don't use much weight and the loading area is inclined upward so the plates should stay on okay without one.

Personal Experience Disclaimer: I have not used a Pavelizer. I have used regular Proloc collars (not the special "Strongman" ones) and they fit some specialty pipe applications, but not all. I have also used regular barbell collars with a screw and they work okay, but fit sloppily and come loose easily in high stress situations. For instance, I have a special cambered DL bar (sort of a variation of a trap bar) that has pipe sleeves and the plates come loose very easily. However, I also have a safety squat bar with pipe sleeves and the screw collars work just fine for that.

From the quick start guide for the Pavelizer 2:
Be aware that all Olympic bar sleeve and plate hole diameters are not the same. Most lifters are under the assumption that Olympic bar sleeves are all 2 inches or 1- 15/16 inches in diameter. In fact, York builds their bar sleeves to 1.9375 inches in diameter. Ivanko, Eleiko, Leoko and other officially accepted Olympic equipment manufacturers build their bars to the official Olympic standard – that requires the sleeves to be within a tolerance of 1.945-1.951 inches in diameter. These manufacturers also use tighter plate hole diameters both to fit the bars snuggly and to meet the OFFICIAL Olympic specifications. Their plates are very accurate, but they are not the “generic” Olympic standard plates that can be purchased at most athletic stores (they often times have the word “STANDARD” right on the plates and look like the image below). Specialty plates, such as the York, Ivanko, Eleiko, Leoko, etc., Olympic Plates will NOT fit on the Pavelizer II. Less expensive, off-the-shelf, garden variety Olympic plates have hole diameters greater than 2 inches (and often times have the word “STANDARD” right on the plates). These are the type of plates that the Pavelizer II requires

So it appears that the sleeve on the Pavelizer 2 is actually LARGER than a standard barbell sleeve, since tight tolerance olympic plates are said not to fit.

Based on experience with other specialty bars made of pipe I assumed the sleeve was smaller than standard, and spring collars were too big to grip the sleeve. Maybe @CTD1 meant that his spring clips were too small to fit instead of too large to fit.

In any case, HIS spring clips do not fit HIS Pavelizer.

BTW, the pictures in the quick start guide show Pavel and Andrea Du Cane demonstrating the Pavelizer without a collar in sight.

Attachments

• PAVELIZER-II-Quick-Start.pdf
    157.4 KB · Views: 9
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom