all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Recommended Reading

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Levi M.

First Post
I’m 22, male, 5’8, and 135 lbs. I’m not naturally athletic but I love anything related to strength and conditioning, with my main goal being longevity. I’ve been focusing on general physical preparedness and developing work capacity over the past few years and my foundation is solid, but after discovering this community I’ve realized that my understanding of sports science is weak and my programming could use work as well. I’m wondering what literature is considered “must-read” in the strength community (not looking for a training plan so much as tenets to observe when planning a session). Currently I’m focusing on mobility, running, and calisthenic strength, with a little hand balancing thrown in for fun. This is my first post, I’ve read the rules but let me know if I’m not adhering properly.
Thanks, Levi

I’m 22, male, 5’8, and 135 lbs. I’m not naturally athletic but I love anything related to strength and conditioning, with my main goal being longevity. I’ve been focusing on general physical preparedness and developing work capacity over the past few years and my foundation is solid, but after discovering this community I’ve realized that my understanding of sports science is weak and my programming could use work as well. I’m wondering what literature is considered “must-read” in the strength community (not looking for a training plan so much as tenets to observe when planning a session). Currently I’m focusing on mobility, running, and calisthenic strength, with a little hand balancing thrown in for fun. This is my first post, I’ve read the rules but let me know if I’m not adhering properly.
Thanks, Levi
Welcome to SF.
There is a lot of material out there.

You won’t go far wrong reading anything by Pavel. Specifically to your stated goals however... I would read Super Joints, Relax into Stretch, Naked Warrior, and Flexible Steel (Engum) Additionally any of the articles posted on the SF site will be good, as will reading the forum itself.

Pavel doesn’t have anything specific to running, but many form members do run as an adjunct to their strength training, so you will find good discussions and references to the topic here as well.

(Training for the Uphill Athlete is a book that can provide a good treatise on some of the science behind energy systems for running and other endurance activities, as well as programming. )

again... welcome

The SFG I and II manuals you get when you attend a cert. Solid,condensed. I will add the SFB and SFL manuals to my library in the future. Guessing they are excellent as well.

And the PlanStrong,StrongEndurance, And O-Lifting manuals.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom