all posts post new thread

Barbell recommended tutorial on semi-sumo deadlift?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Tirofijo

Level 6 Valued Member
Are there any recommended Youtube tutorials or articles on the semi-sumo deadlift?

I'm looking for info on setting up, cues, etc. (Not as interested in why semi-sumo is better or not better than sumo or conventional. I've found plenty of those types of articles and videos.)

Twice I've strained my back with conventional deadlifts. I think I have a hard time setting up a neutral spine. I'm going to try semi-sumo deadlifts based on some thoughts I've read here.

Thanks.

You can look up Ed Coan on the deadlift on YouTube - he has some videos which are conventional and some on sumo. The narrow sumo we teach is just that, narrower, so not everything will apply, but watching his instruction on both has been very informative for me.

I also strongly recommend you work with someone here in person or send video for feedback or just post a video of yourself here and everyone can offer their feedback. Pick a weight that you know won't hurt you.

-S-

I deadlift semi sumo as well, not because I understand very much about the pros and cons but simply because it is more comfortable for me. If you do identify some resources it would be much appreciated if you would post links here

Highly recommend the 1-day barbell course! StrongFirst Barbell Course Schedule

All forms of deadlift were covered more thoroughly than any video or forum can teach. I feel like it was a great investment in keeping my back (and knees!) safe and healthy.

@Tirofijo

I lift narrow / semi sumo for exactly the reasons you suggest - I found it very hard to keep a neutral spine conventionally. It also felt very natural to me coming from the background of kettlebell swings / deadlifts.

I would say that many of the set-up queues (apart from width of stance) from Power to the People, Starting strength etc worked just fine and I was able to teach myself - but only in conjunction with videoing my lifts and having someone watch me until I could accurately tell when my spine was neutral.

I definitely second @Steve Freides and @Anna C suggestion - it's a hard problem to solve on your own.

@krg and everyone else, _if_ you learn to properly pressurize your abdomen, you'll greatly reduce the possibility of lower back issues. I like the relationship of various kinds of strength I've achieved for myself - if a weight is too heavy, it simply won't come up, but it won't hurt me because I've pressurized my midsection to support my lower back.

-S-

Maybe a bit off topic but, do people feel weight belts help with lower back on DLs? I've never used one and occasionally get lower back pain but it seems to be more from inadequate rest days than weight

Maybe a bit off topic but, do people feel weight belts help with lower back on DLs? I've never used one and occasionally get lower back pain but it seems to be more from inadequate rest days than weight
They do for many people.
I'm on a PTTP/S&S split and the frequent DLs made my lower back lock up and forced me to rest. To give my lower back a bit of rest I lift about half of my DLs with a belt.
The result is my lower back is fine since then and I still make progress on my non-belted DLs.
I'm using PTTP 2.0, the 5-3-2 with the same weight version.
My lighter warm-up sets and my set of 5 are without the belt, but the other two sets are with the belt -> my grip, glutes, legs etc. still get the full volume while my LB gets some needed rest, but still experiences the full load during the first set. That way I'm not "teaching" my LB to rely on the belt.
Another way would be to reduce my training days from 5 to 3 or 2, but then the rest of my body would get less overall exposure aswell.

Like straps or wraps it's a tool. Use it intelligently to help you make progress, but don't rely on it.

IMHO the sole reason for a belt is to let you lift more weight in competition. It shouldn't be used to fix any other problem, a PTTP schedule shouldn't require a belt.

I know that sounds harsh - just my opinion and your mileage may vary.

-S-

belts used in training are a pretty certain path to weaker waist area, front and back...and it seems many people who use them develop a habit of pushing out in front against the belt, like a brace, then they can't break that habit later without the belt.

belts used in training are a pretty certain path to weaker waist area, front and back...and it seems many people who use them develop a habit of pushing out in front against the belt, like a brace, then they can't break that habit later without the belt.

I really second this view. I came to the barbell initially through Stronglifts 5x5 and Mehdi is a big advocate of using a belt. Very quickly I became quite hooked on pushing my belly forward (I'm very good at this) against the belt rather than bracing my abs properly. In my opinion this technique is pretty useless in terms of 'real world' application.

The last 4-5 weeks I have been doing PttP beltless and I've really worked to ween myself off the habit. PttP is ideal for this as you are training quite a way off your max initially and just nudging the weight up. I think I have ended up with a much more rigorous set-up and much higher overall body tension.

I now would now only wear a belt if I was going to test my max.

I don't think the belt makes anyone weak. Belts generally enable a person to lift more weight. Lifting more weight makes one stronger. I can't think how anyone lifting serious weight could have a weak midsection.

That said, I haven't used a belt while training myself so far. I have become intrigued by the idea, though. I'm nearing numbers that I could compete locally with and I'd hate to give an extra edge to an opponent.

Even if the belt is something to only be used in competition, I think that the competition preparation training should be done with the belt. So then it gets used a lot.

I do have one funny experience about belts and lifting. A couple of years ago I was at work in my factory job. The circumstances had me lift something heavy off the ground. I was wearing my own belt, a little less than a couple of inches wide, and a quarter inch thick or so. Hardly used, proper leather and so. I squatted down in order to lift the object and braced my midsection in order to be able to lift the heavy thing. Much to my surprise the belt snapped in half. Well I continued to work without it and had to repeatedly lift my pants. Told my supervisor what happened during the next break and he got me a new one from the company.

Oh, and when it comes to the original subject, I too recommend the Coan videos that @Steve Freides already mentioned.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom