all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Recovery after a S&S workout?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Mikey, I figured you had stopped the other activities. Just making sure. As for the time on the bottom of the goblet squat, it is subjective. I stay on the bottom just a few seconds, just enough to pry right and left. But, if things still feel tight, I will stay longer. Yep, very subjective.

One question I did have around the Prying Goblet, how long do you guys stay in thesquat position prying with the twisting movements and curls with the kettlebell? This is obviously a subjective thing but is there a recommendation for a beginner to this?

I do my hip prying with assisted squats. I hang onto my TRX straps and go down into a deep squat position where I can really twist my hips with out any risk of falling over. After these, I'll do my regular goblet squats without prying. I usually only pause for a moment on the bottom. However, I have used long pauses on the bottom of the last rep to get a good isometric burn.

Don't know how you're doing them, but if they are interfering with the swings and get-ups, you need to change it up. Good Luck!

One question I did have around the Prying Goblet, how long do you guys stay in thesquat position prying with the twisting movements and curls with the kettlebell? This is obviously a subjective thing but is there a recommendation for a beginner to this?

I have a couple of videos of complete S&S sessions including the warm-up and stretches. Some people seem to use them as follow-alongs which must be why they have so many views. That can work fine, but generally you want to give yourself much more rest between sets of swings in a daily practice as these sessions are to the testing time standards.

2015 One complete S&S session
2019 One complete S&S session encore (I recorded this while watching and following along to the first one)

More to your question, the prying and twisting and curls are whatever you need to feel mobilized. I do more on some days, less on others... but I do tend to do them for 1-3 of the squats in a set of 5, not all of them.

I have a couple of videos of complete S&S sessions including the warm-up and stretches. Some people seem to use them as follow-alongs which must be why they have so many views. That can work fine, but generally you want to give yourself much more rest between sets of swings in a daily practice as these sessions are to the testing time standards.

2015 One complete S&S session
2019 One complete S&S session encore (I recorded this while watching and following along to the first one)

More to your question, the prying and twisting and curls are whatever you need to feel mobilized. I do more on some days, less on others... but I do tend to do them for 1-3 of the squats in a set of 5, not all of them.

Great videos Anna C, very informative. I think I have been spending too long in the deep squat, prying, especially as a beginner to this exercise, I think this is a major contributory factor to my longer recovery times (coupled with the daily stresses of work, marriage, kids, bills etc). I will ease myself into the Prying Goblet Squat a little more.

I have practised swings and TGU's for a few years therfore I'm more used to these exercises, although I have brushed up on my TGU technique after reading S&S and watching a fantastic explanation on the YouTube channel Hardstyle Kettlebell Pro.

I've been keeping the 'do swings faster than comfortable and get ups slower than comfortable' from the book in mind, I've found the TGU's done more slowly have definitely been more intense.

One question I did have around the Prying Goblet, how long do you guys stay in the squat position prying with the twisting movements and curls with the kettlebell? This is obviously a subjective thing but is there a recommendation for a beginner to this?

Thanks again

Mikey,

When i was doing the S &S protocols with the 16kg, I used an 8, then 12, then 16kg for my goblet and halo warmups. This progression helped me feel more 'warmed up' than 'beat up' from the warmup.

I am a big believer in moving 'with' the breath, and using my breaths as a marker rather than the clock. With this in mind, i take three 'relaxed' breaths at the bottom of the goblet squat, then do 3 curls, then brace and try to explode back up.

Pavel Macek has an excellent article that explains how to groove the plank using the halos...

Kettlebell Halo
is a simple, but effective drill for loosening up the shoulders, but there is more. When I practice the halo, I also practice the correct lockout as well—straight knees, tight glutes, braced abs. Apart from loosening and strengthening the shoulders (this is a weighted mobility drill, after all) I think the halo also helps me keep my elbows healthy. When you start to do heavy swings and get-ups, you will need it.

I also use the 'moving with the breath' for my getups. For every transition i move in the middle of a braced exhale, finish the exhale in the next position, long inhale, start to exhale then move.

When I take days off between get ups, it’s not just simply that I am better recovered. I can approach the get ups with a fresher perspective. When I do get ups every day, it’s easy to get into the mindset of just getting through the get ups. But with recovery days, it’s easier to get into the mindset of doing *better* get ups.

When I take days off between get ups, it’s not just simply that I am better recovered. I can approach the get ups with a fresher perspective. When I do get ups every day, it’s easy to get into the mindset of just getting through the get ups. But with recovery days, it’s easier to get into the mindset of doing *better* get ups.

I've been considering trying this for s while.

Great insight. YMMV as always.. Customize the rate of recovery as well as the rate of progression

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom