all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Recovery and weight increase

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Omar Elmasry

Level 1 Valued Member
I’ve been attempting to transition from the 24 kg to the 32 kg for both the get ups and swings. I’m having trouble balancing going up and recovery. What are you strategies for balancing recovery and moving up in weight?

so I have some suggestions. try mixed sets and waving the load. for example day 2 sets of swings with the 32 the rest with 24, another Swing 3 sets, and then the whole session with the 24. Take longer rests intervals, most days wait until you feel like your ready to start your set and rest 30 more sec. and remember that light days are always an option if your feeling low energy. S&S is fundamentally an easy strength routine. S&S by its nature shouldn't be exhaustive or cause issues with recovery (I mean maybe if your going for sinister) take your time and enjoy the process.

Thanks man, I’ll try and wave the load. I guess I get too impatient and try to stick to a certain weight/ sets instead of just going down when I need a rest day. It’s frustrated because I try and progress and my body is pushing me back. I’m sure I’m just neglecting my rest or pushing too hard.

How long have you been using the 24kg? Did you work up to the 24 from a lighter bell? If so, how much time did you spend with the lighter bell(s)? What strength training are you doing other than getups and swings? How long have you been training? What is your age/height/weight?

I worked up from a 16kg for get ups and the 24 kg for swings.
I started with two handed swings with the 24kg then went on to one handed. I started with just swings from August 2018 to December 2018. February 2019 I started using the 24 kg in swings and started using the 24kg for get ups after about 2 or 3 months. Now I’m looking to add the 32 to both my swings and get ups.
Not really doing other strength training.
23, 6 ft, 160 lbs

I worked up from a 16kg for get ups and the 24 kg for swings.
I started with two handed swings with the 24kg then went on to one handed. I started with just swings from August 2018 to December 2018. February 2019 I started using the 24 kg in swings and started using the 24kg for get ups after about 2 or 3 months. Now I’m looking to add the 32 to both my swings and get ups.
Not really doing other strength training.
23, 6 ft, 160 lbs
Thats not an easy transition.

For swings, you could do partial sets. For instance, 6x10 with 24 and 8 x 5 with 32. That's just an option, you can very gradually replace sets of 10 with 24 by 2 sets of 5 with 32.

For tgu, you can only do the positive and skip the get down, if a complete rep is too challenging.

If recovery is the issue, eat more, sleep more and dont progress too fast. If you can recover from 100 swings with 24, you can also recover from 80 swings with 24 and 20 with 32. Just progress slowly.

Let us know how it goes.

Some good advice here. Bottom line, at 23 you are still young and your body is still adapting to training. 6' and 160 lbs is slender BUT so are both of our Pavels and they are extraordinarily strong for ANY size!!

First of all, this is practice. Remember that you are practicing EVERY rep. Be mindful and in the moment. Strive to feel the movement, you'll know when it's right. If there is an SFG in your area and you can afford a lesson or two, I highly recommend that.

Keep plugging away and ensure you OWN the 24kg before focusing too much on the 32kg. There is no "time limit" for the getup. In theory you can take all day for one getup. Realistically, ensure that you STOP and hang out for a few seconds at every point. This ensures that you properly position your body and the bell and keeps you from "falling" at the end. This also points out any problem areas as we speed through our weak getup points, relying on momentum to compensate for weakness/poor technique.

When swinging the 32kg don't aim for a certain number. When you feel the "pop" going, set the bell down. If it's only 2 or 3 swings, then so be it. Again, this is practice. If you are practicing good, hard, snappy swings then you will continue to do those. If you extend a set too far your last swings will be poor and that movement pattern will ingrain itself.

Please post a video, if able. There are a lot of experienced SFGs here who enjoy helping out.

@Omar Elmasry

The first time I did S&S, I also had real issues moving up to the 32K bell. (Unlike you, I'm old and short). Getups weren't a problem, but the swings really were. It's easy to strap or tape a 7.5-10 plate to the 24 K, in effect giving you a 28K for little cost. For swings, making the S&S standard with such a "28K" set me up for eventually passing the 32 K. standard Good luck!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom