all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Red Army pullup protocol

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
So if you're following this chart, would that assume pullups and dips are your only upper body exercises during that period? Will it work with other exercises, like pushup or one leg squat variations?

This chart is not a " program", just a strategy for those specific lifts. You'd have to program other goals around it effectively, which could be done for different set/rep schemes. I wouldn't do HLR and Pullups concurrently, they are very similar and might lead to excessive volume.

So if you're following this chart, would that assume pullups and dips are your only upper body exercises during that period? Will it work with other exercises, like pushup or one leg squat variations?
I'm guessing it would, and you could program other upper body work, probably on other days, as long as they don't interfere with getting the chart work done, which is main objective.

This chart is not a " program", just a strategy for those specific lifts. You'd have to program other goals around it effectively, which could be done for different set/rep schemes. I wouldn't do HLR and Pullups concurrently, they are very similar and might lead to excessive volume.
I was thinking something like following the chart to work on dips, would adding some overhead presses or handstand pushups be too much? Maybe just focus on dips for a month?

Or working on pistol progressions.

Based on your comments I would try something like this:

Two days of dips , one day of pressing

Two days of pistols.

Two days of active recovery

Follow chart on dips and pistols, and probably presses.

Hello,

I like it as well !

As far as pull up goes, here is this article on T-Nation:

Kind regards,

Pet'
Doing 18 reps would be a good achievement, but doing them with 10kg would be even better.

I would follow one rep/set for as long as it feels easy, than retested, and based on the outcome follow another rep/set template.

Hi @mikhael, in order to progress, what do you think about a 4 weeks block with high reps (6-8 reps for example) followed by a 4 weeks block with low reps (3-4 reps for example)? At the end of the two blocks, test and restart again

Hi @mikhael, in order to progress, what do you think about a 4 weeks block with high reps (6-8 reps for example) followed by a 4 weeks block with low reps (3-4 reps for example)? At the end of the two blocks, test and restart again
Would work as well, but I would go 4 weeks with one rep/set scheme, than switch to higher for another 4 weeks. After those 8 weeks I would retest my RM and start all over again but from higher rep/set scheme.

That program would show some good results for an 18-20 yo infantryman with a low BMI but for most others it will fall apart around week 5-7 because of elbow tendonitis.. It seems like way too much volume to me, sure you'd make some good gains in the early phases of the program but there's just not enough recovery time factored in the latter parts of the program.

That program would show some good results for an 18-20 yo infantryman with a low BMI but for most others it will fall apart around week 5-7 because of elbow tendonitis.. It seems like way too much volume to me, sure you'd make some good gains in the early phases of the program but there's just not enough recovery time factored in the latter parts of the program.
The return of Tarzan.
Where have you been mate?

try using rings in lieu of a straight bar to help prevent elbow tendonitis.

Hello,

I like it as well !

As far as pull up goes, here is this article on T-Nation:

Kind regards,

Pet'
I managed 19 reps while holding a 20 lb. hex dumbbell between my feet, pretty close to the challenge in that article, although my memory is that the challenge is 20 reps with 10 kg, not 18 reps.

-S-

Congrats!
Thanks.

I find pullups easy to overtrain on, and I got there with a simple approach - one day a week, I'd do short warmup set then a near-max set, and follow it with a backoff set using a chinup grip. Two other days a week, I trained with heavier weights and lower rep ranges, and the carryover was good. And I followed a loose cycle of adding a rep each week for 3 weeks, then having a backoff week where I did fewer reps on the near-max day - and anytime the near-max day wasn't feeling good, I just turned it into a back-off day. Over the course of a few months, I got there.

I think I posted the numbers for my weekly near-max day here a few years back.

-S-

I managed 19 reps while holding a 20 lb. hex dumbbell between my feet, pretty close to the challenge in that article, although my memory is that the challenge is 20 reps with 10 kg, not 18 reps.

-S-
Steve, I read somewhere on the web that a hex DB held by feet creates a tornado vortex that actually assists the lift. Nice work man.

Steve, I read somewhere on the web that a hex DB held by feet creates a tornado vortex that actually assists the lift. Nice work man.
Now you're giving away all my secrets, @Don Fairbanks. :)

All kidding aside, you'll find other places in our curriculum where we suggest squeezing the knees together - having to hold onto the weight between your feet (provided it's a moderate weight, of course) actually does "assist" in that way. It's like squeezing a water bottle in your non-pressing hand while performing a one-arm kettlebell military press, if you ask me.

Note that I have absolutely no science to support the connection between squeezing the knees together while doing a hip bridge, squeezing a water bottle when one-armed pressing, and what I did. All I can tell you is that I do feel it helped, and since I can do a decent weighted pullup - bests are a 48 kg chinup and a 40 kg pullup - adding a 9 kg (20 lb) dumbbell qualifies as the right kind of weight in this context. (You need a pretty tall chinup bar - the one I did my weekly near-max sessions on was at my local YMCA, and when I jumped up to the bar, the hex dumbbell standing on end was just the right height for me to be able to grab it with my feet and do my reps.)

-S-

@Steve Freides ah! the classic wavy approach, nice work.
as for the squeezing, didn't Pavel say somewhere that a tight grip sends the message to the brain that it's safe to generate more tension?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom