all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Regressing The Naked Get Up? How To Move Forward With A Dysfunctional Core?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Elemental

Level 1 Valued Member
Hey!

So guys this has been a major road block for me for the past 7 years. It's why my fitness progress is just a non-starter. Well, that and chronic stress (which is on it's way out, thankfully!) and lingering asthma (that too is getting sorted. Buteyko Method style).

Guys I can't perform a Naked Get Up to save my life.

I have lordosis, very weak abs, can't properly perform a plank, and the movement is just a nightmare.

Obviously we're going to have to build from ground up.

My problems started with a slipped disk when training for a powerlifting meet 7 years ago. Now 24 and have since had P.T and used a back pain program a dude sells on the net to completely eliminate any nagging pains. That's all well and good.

Problem is....nothing is really 'working' across the midsection. I move like s***.

I'm doing Simple & Sinister.

Maybe I should rethink that and focus on getting my body working correctly first?

Bit lost....

1am, better get some rest. Up at 6am!

Rav.

@Elemental, best to always start with a doctor's exam, and then a movement screen. The latter should be able to recommend correctives, regressions, and the like that, when completed, should find you ready to begin the program proper.

-S-

@Elemental, best to always start with a doctor's exam, and then a movement screen. The latter should be able to recommend correctives, regressions, and the like that, when completed, should find you ready to begin the program proper.

-S-

Thanks Steve.

I took this suggestion on board.

I actually have Gray Cook's 'Athletic Body in Balance' on my Kindle. Have the accompanying DVD, too. Never even watched it...

I will have to sit down today and dedicate some time to screening myself and trying to move forward.

If I get stuck, I'll update this thread.

Thanks,
R.

You may also want to look at Original Strength. Restore that core strength the way you originally did as an infant.

You may also want to look at Original Strength. Restore that core strength the way you originally did as an infant.

Oh believe me I've looked at Original Strength. I love that concept. I found out about OS through this website. Glad to see it's talked about on the forums.

Where are you located?

Hey Claire,

It's cool I'm willing to travel to work with a good instructor, I've got my own transport, it's all good.

That's something I will do. I will email you for a recommendation.

Can't right now though, got a fair bit on work-wise. Well, casual work Meh.

Here's where I'm at right now.

Lot of work to be done.

R.

@Elemental it might be worth attending the SFG workshop in May if you're still around the West Midlands then. A day won't solve all your problems but I imagine a few good pointers on TGUs might have a real impact on your reflexive stability and core strength.

@Elemental it might be worth attending the SFG workshop in May if you're still around the West Midlands then. A day won't solve all your problems but I imagine a few good pointers on TGUs might have a real impact on your reflexive stability and core strength.

That is a great idea. I could definitely consider that. Thanks.

Went through the corrective work tonight. Was a right mess. Logged it over in the training journals, thought I'd throw it over here to possibly get some advice too.

Just went through the FMS corrective exercises.

Was tough. Was shaking life a leaf for most. Some I was plain unable to do.

1) Toe Touch Progression: 1 x 12
2) Tablestop Stride: 3 x 20s
3) Tabletop Hip Stretch: 2 x 20s
4) Standing Quad Stretch: 20s
5) Standing Glute Stretch w/ Hip Extention: Was completely unable to balance on one leg while holding my quad up.
6) Elevated Mountain Climber: 3 reps easy side. Very hard.
7) Half Kneeling Dowel Twist: 20s (Was hard!)
8) In Line Dowel Lunge: Again, had a horrendous time balancing. Was able to do 5 reps somewhat OK with my right foot back, but with my left foot back it was just a nightmare to get 3 reps. Was wobbling all over the place.
9) Leg Lowering Progression w/ Support: 2 x 10 (These were actually fine)
10) Side-Lying Left & Right Arm Reach: 20s (These were tight as hell but felt quite therapeutic)
11) Shoulder Rotation: Few reps each side. Not clear on how many I needed to do here.

My conclusion after doing these was the following:

Mid sectional stability is a major probem. Mobility etc is also a quite bad issue, but I can't actually stand on one leg without tipping over.

As such, I feel the need to attack this quite aggressively. I'm going to do an O.S Reset session alongside this work, daily.

Cheers,
R.

Thank you for any thoughts.

Rav.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom