all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Regressions for Dips

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Hows it been coming along?

It works well enough - definitely haven't had any shoulder/elbow irritation from them. I mostly started this thread to see if folks had any other ideas, but I don't feel like the foot on the floor isn't working.

One more suggestion - see if you can get into the very bottom of the ROM with support from your feet and then gradually lighten the pressure on your feet, the goal being a "dip stretch" where you hang out in the bottom position but don't try to raise yourself. This stretch, btw, is great for lots of things besides dips, e.g., do it, wait 60 seconds, and try a set of bench presses.

That's exactly what I'm doing now - get to the bottom easily, slowly apply some arm pressure to gradually take pressure off the foot, then back up. Really avoiding any sort of sudden/ballistic application of force, that's gotten me into trouble in the past. Haven't tried it for an extended period of time, though, that's an interesting idea...

Really avoiding any sort of sudden/ballistic application of force, that's gotten me into trouble in the past. Haven't tried it for an extended period of time, though, that's an interesting idea...
Couple of things.

Just the stretch is good - stretch, and put your feet back down when you're done stretching. See Pavel's Strength Stretching (likely long out of print by now) for more on this. The protocol is stretch, wait 60 seconds, use the muscle in exercise.

Ballistic movement with an injured bodypart is always scary, IMO. It's one reason that I am, in many ways, rehabbed my back primarily with the barbell deadlift rather than the kettlebell swing. I do both now, but when you've been hurt, it's nice to move in a way you can control and feel you can control completely. JMO.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom