all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Rehab bodyweight and walking

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

dobie

Level 5 Valued Member
I suffer from nerve pain in legs fro L5S1 nerve compression from my spondolysthesis. Doctor has given OK for rehab. I ordered and read book from Stu Mcgill-He advocates 3 exercises for core-bird dog, stir the pot and side plank along with working up to 3-30 minute walks a day-all exercises done everyday. I'm always sore from this-at day 21. Any ideas for a better program to hit core muscles using only body-especially glutes

dobie
Ask your Dr. for a referral to Physical therapy (hopefully an SFMA therapist and one that has worked with spondy before)

When you say you are sore - are you referring to nerve pain?
If so stop and rest and work on that referral

McGill's recommendations are very good, but did you start doing them all right away? I saw his video before, and interpreted them more as recommendations for healthy people that would actually be effective for the core, as opposed to many other exercises people do. There are progressions to build up to each of these, and unfortunately, we all have to start from where we are. A good PT can figure out your current abilities and get you on a sound plan to make progress from there.

Thanks for the suggestions. I get sore from the exercises everyday and the nerve pain-example bottome of my feet sore and stiff, especially after being in a prolonged position-including sleeping. It started 9 months ago-I have had 2 cortisone injections recently and some say I need surgery and others say no way. (fusion). I guess I will look into a PT.
Thanks

Dobie, good for persisting in spite of the pain, and good luck on finding the right combination and avoiding the surgery. In case you don't check it, there's a new blog in the "Read" section of this site by McGill aimed towards empowering people to find good therapy- check it out.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom