all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Reload and Kettlebells

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Derrick Healy

First Post
I have decided to do the Reload barbell program, but I want to make sure I keep up with my conditioning.

What would be the proper recommendation to maintain conditions with kettlebells during this specific program.

Thanks all.

I still need to read Reload - I'm getting behind in my reading...however, I assume that it's a 3- or 4- day a week program. I often program barbell stuff that way, and then on the off days I do some Strong Endurance type stuff. Right now, I'm doing an A/B that looks like

week 1 A/B/A/B/A
week 2 B/A/B/A/B

A is a strength protocol and B is an AGT protocol (with some light Olympic lifts thrown in because I love them)

I imagine you could put in AGT work on the non training days*

Here's a sample week of what I've been programming Workouts This Week

*of course, I should then say "you're not following the program, and your results may be different"

I guess it depends on how many lifts you decide to do and how many assistance exercises your are willing to perform.

Maybe 1-2 A+A style sessions with swings, cleans or snatches, either on off-days or after your reload session. Or 5x10 swings as a warmup before each session.

And maybe A+A snatches would qualify as an assistance exercise for both bench and DL.

This could also be mix and match, as long as you recover from it.

I have decided to do the Reload barbell program, but I want to make sure I keep up with my conditioning.

What would be the proper recommendation to maintain conditions with kettlebells during this specific program.

I would say, don't discount the "conditioning" effect you'll get from doing all those work sets. When I did pure barbell last spring for 3 months, I did virtually no "conditioning" or kettlebells. I tested my kettlebell snatch test before and after this time, and it actually improved.

My advice would be to focus all your work and recovery effort on the strength program while you are running it. The exception would be if you have some standard (i.e. military run test) that you are border line on, and just have to be sure maintain.

S&S twice a week is suggested in the summary at the end of the S&S book, in the first paragraph of the summary chapter.

I’ve been doing S&S swings, but not the get ups, twice a week on Reload off days and it seems to work fine. It keeps up the “in shape” feeling of being able to do as much biking and yard work as I want without getting tired. The barbell alone doesn’t always provide that.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom