all posts post new thread

Barbell Reload Programming

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Big Mam

Level 2 Valued Member
Hi all!
I recently purchased the Reload program, and it looks very interesting! I already started to build my own version of the program, and I had a little question regarding the weekly progression.
From what I understand, the weekly jumps are calculated with the RM@80% test that I have to do for every lift. After, I multiply my 1RM by the percentage corresponding to my Rep Max test to find out my weekly progression.
But when I was reading the example Fabio gives to build the program, I noticed that he multiplied the % corresponding to the RM@80% to the 80% of his 1RM instead of his true 1RM. So I wanted to make sure I understand the testing process correctly:
- I test my RM@80%
- I find the corresponding progression percentage
- To find the weekly jumps, I multiply the percentage to my true 1RM, and not to the 80% of my 1RM

I hope my question was clear, and thank you in advance!

Hi @Big Mam,

You are right and in fact you caught a typo on the ebook which we have recently fixed and we are almost ready to publish the corrected version.

- To find the weekly jumps, I multiply the percentage to my true 1RM, and not to the 80% of my 1RM

Exactly!

Below you will find the corrected version.

Thank you for catching it, Sir!

Fabio
Schermata 2021-01-14 alle 18.53.57.png

I aimed to create a thread in reference to the Reload program, but I think I’ll post here as not to clutter the forums with similar threads.

I’ve completed cycles of pttp, pavel/faleev’s 80/20, and several other programs promoted here including the simple standard, ROP, vodka/pickles, Russian ladder, soju/tuba, and so on.

I’m approximately 50% through the ebook (the end of the calculations portion) and im completely lost. I was able to follow Pavel’s contribution, but, with all due respect to Mr Zonin, I get completely lost with his portion, re-reading portions in an attempt to grasp what’s being suggested here. I can’t be the only one, as I’ve seen other threads dedicated to similar issues, and the book seems to go to lengths to explain and re-explain these calculations with self-awareness.

I intend to program with the minimalist suggestion of the 4 big lifts, squat of choice being zercher, and I have my 1rm’s. I intend to test my strength endurance with 80% of these over the next two days. Any insight as to how to proceed from here would be appreciated, as I’d look forward to running this program.

Since it's a paid program, I don't want to give out too much information about the methodology publicly, but here's how would build my program:

- The result of your Rep Max at 80% will define what your weekly weight jumps will be. To do so, take your number of reps at 80% and look in the conversion table which percentage corresponds to your amount of reps. For example, your squat 1RM is 300lbs, so you repped 240lbs for X reps. In the conversion table, X reps = 5%, so you know your weekly jumps will be 15lbs (5% x 300lbs)

- Then, you test your 5 Rep Max, using the method in the book. You start to ramp up sets of 5 at a certain weight (that is also found in the conversion table) and you add 15lbs to each set of 5s until your form breaks down.

- That 5 rep max becomes your 5x5 target weight in week 5. So you substract 15lbs from that 5RM each week to find your working weight for weeks 1 to 4, and add 15lbs each week for the working weight to use in weeks 6-7.

I'm sorry if the explanation is not clear! And again, if I give out too much of the methodology to the public, feel free to let me know!

I’m approximately 50% through the ebook (the end of the calculations portion) and im completely lost.
It’s hard to help you with “completely lost.” What is the first thing you don’t follow? Those of who have the book can all reference page numbers and the like to be sure we’re talking about the same thing.

-S-

Thanks for the replies.

Steve. I believe I understand Pavels section. My current deadlift 1rm is 400. Say my goal is 410, and tested for 2% weekly increases.

2% of 400 = 8 (round to 10 per equipment)
Goal is 410
80% is 330

Week 5 - 330 5x5
Week 4 - 320 5x5
Week 3 - 300 5x5
Week 2 - 290 5x5
Week 1 - 280 5x5

For the final three weeks :

Week 6 - 340 3x3
Week 7 - 350 2x2
Week 8 - 410 1x1

I do not understand Mr Zonin’s 5/5@#5 calculations, or the purpose for them. Is the baseline weight 280? Am I adding 10 lbs to 280 every set of 5 in one session until I discover the the highest intensity which I can perform 5, and then calling that my week 5 weight? Does this supplement what Pavel outlined or does it complete the program?

Please be mindful I follow Mr Zonin and respect his work. My questions are not to critique what he presented, it is me who is having trouble working with what’s presented.

(I skipped 10 lbs in my hypothetical example at week 3 but I’m sure you get the idea)

Shouldn’t 80% of my target 1RM be week 5’s 5x5, as opposed to figuring out a 5/5@#5 number?

My understanding is that the reasoning behind the 5x5@#5 protocol is to have a precise idea of your 5RM. But a more experienced lifter could probably estimate his true 5RM and ajust the program from there. And yeah, your performance in the RM@80% will dictate at which weight you will "start" your sets of 5 to find your week 5 target. The jumps from one set of 5 to another are the same as your weekly jumps.

The goal of the program is to turn a 5RM into a manageable 5x5, and then taper from there.
Hope it helps!

My understanding is that the reasoning behind the 5x5@#5 protocol is to have a precise idea of your 5RM. But a more experienced lifter could probably estimate his true 5RM and ajust the program from there. And yeah, your performance in the RM@80% will dictate at which weight you will "start" your sets of 5 to find your week 5 target. The jumps from one set of 5 to another are the same as your weekly jumps.

The goal of the program is to turn a 5RM into a manageable 5x5, and then taper from there.
Hope it helps!
So essentially, I could just run the program with Pavels calculations?

So essentially, I could just run the program with Pavels calculations?
If you have a good idea of your best 5X5 set, I guess you could, and add 5 to 15lbs to it as a weight target. Pavel gives an example of that in the STRONGFIRST RELOAD CYCLE chapter of his part of the book. Find your weekly jumps with the 80%RM test, and calculate from there depending on the weight you want to rep on week 5.
Cheers!

If you have a good idea of your best 5X5 set, I guess you could, and add 5 to 15lbs to it as a weight target. Pavel gives an example of that in the STRONGFIRST RELOAD CYCLE chapter of his part of the book. Find your weekly jumps with the 80%RM test, and calculate from there depending on the weight you want to rep on week 5.
Cheers!
Thank for your input. I’ll keep an eye here for more contributions and report back with my experience with this.

Following the routine as I specified I would, I increased 3/4 lifts by 5lbs. The bench press did not increase at all. Squat, bench, and deadlift did. I’d call it a success and I’d definitely run it this way again.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom