all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Removing black oxide coating from a barbell

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Chrisdavisjr

Level 7 Valued Member
Wasn't sure whether to put this post under 'equipment' or not.

I've got an old black oxide coated York barbell, which I'm intending to sell as soon as my new bar arrives. By the time I got it, a decent amount of the black oxide had worn off from regular use and I've managed, with wire wool, polishing compounds and patience to take it down to the bare steel on the smooth parts of the bar (it looks and feels much better).

Does anyone know of any products or compounds I can use to remove the remaining oxide from the knurling?

I've heard of people getting good results with thinners and paint stripper but that Naval Jelly stuff seems to be the perfect thing. Thanks!

Hi Chrisdavisjr-I guess my old York bars must be really old, as they're just raw steel that you have to oil occasionally, or spray with WD40. What era is your bar from? Mine are both from the early 60's. I do have two newer Oly bars, one with black oxide(not YORK), and the other looks like chrome plate. I prefer the raw steel.

Hi Chrisdavisjr-I guess my old York bars must be really old, as they're just raw steel that you have to oil occasionally, or spray with WD40. What era is your bar from? Mine are both from the early 60's. I do have two newer Oly bars, one with black oxide(not YORK), and the other looks like chrome plate. I prefer the raw steel.

I’m not the bar’s original owner so I don’t know exactly how old it is, but it’s a current Canadian-made production model so I’d be surprised if it were more than 10 years old.

I definitely prefer the feel of raw steel but I can understand why people (especially gym owners) would opt for something comparatively maintenance-free. I’d love to try a vintage York bar but they’re not something you see very often, if at all, in the UK.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom