all posts post new thread

Repeat Until Strong.

really good - wonder when there will be polish edition, i printed out my kindle in eng .. great blog, do you do any additional stretching along SS ?

I am curious if you do the s&s warm up or any other warm up work? Or are goblet squats, swings, and get ups the entirety of your trainng?

@taedoju thank you.

@andrewswanson I do Super Joints and dynamic stretching every single morning (and I mean every single morning) which means I am always ready to go later throughout the day. As for warmup (better say "move prep"), usually none - I just grab a 40 kg bell and start to swing it. I keep doing the goblet squat, but usually skip the halo and hip bridge. Usually, not always. I do a lot of "movement snacks" throughout the day - pumps, squats, shoulder dislocations, spine decompressions on a pullup bar, hip flexor stretches, etc.

Today's practice:

- prying goblet squats 3x5 with 24
- overspeed eccentric swings with 32, 10x10
- get-ups - 24, 28, 32, 36, 32

Rest of the day - working hard on some cool stuff. More on that soon.

Today's practice: Still easier training, lots of work, lots of mental RAM invested in it.

- prying goblet squats 3x5 with 24 kg
- one hand swings 10x10 with 36 kg
- get-ups - 5x1 with 32

Refreshing!

Today's practice:

- one hand swings 10x10 with 40 kg
- get-ups - 5x1 with 36.

Getting back to serious work. I have done lots of get-ups in the past, but never really tried my max. Following Master Yoda's advise, I did 44 kg get up today.

Today's work: Intensive work on top classified project of mine, partially tribute to one of the ancestors of StrongFirst lineage, partially famous classical training program revisited. You will like it.

Today's picture:
"This bronze statue shows a man lifting kettlebells, which were in common use one hundred years ago. By 1950 kettlebells were only rarely seen in the U.S. but they have recently made a remarkable comeback, particularly among athletes."

- Iron Game History, June 2011
two-hands-anyhow.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Bo
Today's practice:

- one hand swings 10x10 with 44 kg
- get-ups - 5x1 with 36.

My martial arts teacher broke my radius bone in 2003. The old injury stared to hurt again, so no weighted get-ups for next week, and lots of Chinese Dit Da Jau medicine. So,

Today's practice:

- one hand swings 10x10 with 44 kg
- get-ups - 5x1 with shoe

Yeah - naked, with shoe, bottom up. Will be alright, the Chinese medicine works as a charm.

Teaching a 5 hour joint mobility workshop.

Today's practice:

- two hand over speed eccentric swings, 10x10 with 32 kg

Teaching another 5 hours workshop, so...

Today's practice:

- two hand over speed eccentric swings, 10x10 with 32 kg

Q: So what do you practice now?
A: Now, what do you mean, "now"? Kettlebell Simple & Sinister. 6th month.

sas.jpeg

Today's practice:

- 10x10 swings with 40 kg
- get-ups - 5x1 with 32 kg. After a week of get-ups with shoe only it went all pretty smooth. Back to 36 tomorrow.

Today's practice:

- 10x10 swings with 44 kg
- get-ups - 5x1 with 32 kg. Had a bad sleep (our cat was vomiting whole night), so I sticked to 32. Too much info, I know.

Today's note: Principle based training...

...which is the think I love about StrongFirst - and any other sound system.

Let's have a look at it from the combative arts perspective. I am currently studying some instructional material of Phil Norman's Ghost Elusive Fighting - very similar to our Practical Hung Kyun "long hands" techniques: "Strike Forward, Body Goes Away". Phil has based his unorthodox approach on few key concepts, like "stay out of no man's land", "get off the track", "constant movement", etc. Once you understand the principles and master them (at least to certain extent), you can very easily "plug in" your own techniques, and make it work.

Same goes for what we do. Tools don't matter - the principles behind do. In China they say "Whole body is the fist" - you can use any part of your body to hurt your adversary. Everything is a kettlebell.

Today's practice:

- 10x10 swings with 44 kg
- get-ups - 5x1 with 32, 36, 32, 32, 32

Today's tip: How to keep your SFG skills sharp

14 days blocks:

Block 1: Military Press, Front Squat, Windmill, Bent Press
Block 2: Snatch, Clean, Push Press, Jerk

For 14 days, I kind of GTG the selected skills - throughout the day, with relatively light weight (usually 24s), with a lots of rest in between, not many "sets". I do 2-5 reps of the grinds, 5-10 reps of the ballistic drills, and focus on absolutely perfect technique. Each day I do all the drills form the selected group, but I always focus on one of them, e.g. today I did: Military Press, Front Squat, Military Press, Windmill, Military Press, Bent Press. When I feel that the technical GTG might take strength from my S&S practice, I do less, or don't practice any of these drills.

Inspired by the old-time strongman programming from SFG2.

Back
Top Bottom