all posts post new thread

Repeat Until Strong.

Today's article

light-heavy-dumbbells-old-time-strongman-eugene-sandow.jpg

Health & Strength: Light vs. Heavy Dumbbells

When you read about the incredible feats of the many old time strongman – and then you study their books – you will certainly notice that many of them recommend high rep exercises with very light weights, and only in the end occasionally mention lifting the heavy weights.

Did really Sandow achieved his incredible feats of strength by lifting light dumbbells? How about his mentor, prof. Attila? In 1913, Richard K. Fox has published a book called Prof. Attila’s Five Pound Dumb Bell Exercises. Attila’s scrapbook however shows many women practicing with big globe dumbbells certainly way heavier than five pounds, and altogether different exercises than alternating curls – get-ups and one arm presses…

Read the full article here: Health & Strength: Light vs. Heavy Dumbbells | SIMPLEXSTRONG

Today's practice: From Solid to Sinister - Tactical Periodization
  • goblet squats - 5x56kg, 5x56 kg, 5x56 kg
  • 1-3 (low-high) one-arm swings - 10x56 kg, 10x56 kg, 10x56 kg, 10x56 kg, OTM, always left, rest; right, rest; 80 swings total (sum of left and right).
  • 1-3 (low-high) get-ups - 1x48 kg, 1x48 kg, 1x48 kg, 1x48 kg, always left+ right, rest; 8 get-ups total (sum of left and right).
  • Front Lever - GTG, 6 secs holds of advanced tuck front lever
Note: Very easy heavy session. Good.

Last edited:
Today's picture

health-and-strength-league.jpg

“Health & Strength” League, founded in 1906, one of the predecessors of StrongFirst
⁣⁣
⁣To bind together in a bond of robust brotherhood all Physical Culturists and Athletes throughout the world; a band united for the purpose of disseminating the broad principles of, and in Nature’s way promoting, the cause of Health & Strength.”
⁣…⁣
⁣Every member shall pledge himself to do all in his or her power to help forward the cause of Physical Culture: (a) By taking judicious exercise every day unless prevented from so doing by illness, or some other unavoidable cause; (b) by encouraging others, whenever the opportunity occurs to keep fit; (c) by extending the right hand of fellowship to all brother and sister P.C.’s, wherever they may be, and in whatever circumstances they may be found.

• goblet squats - 5x40kg, 5x48 kg, 5x48 kg
  • 3-2 (high volume - medium intensity) one-arm swings - 10x40 kg, 10x48kg , 10x40, 10x48 kg, 10x48 kg, 10x48 kg, OTM, always left, rest; right, rest; 120 swings total (sum of left and right).
  • 2-2 (medium volume-medium intensity) get-ups - 1x44 kg, 1x36 kg, 1x44 kg, 1x44 kg, 1x44 kg, always left+ right, rest; 10 get-ups total (sum of left and right).
Again, very comfortable session. I had to double check if I didn't grab a lighter weight by mistake. I would say "surprisingly light session", but no - according the plan.

Today's practice

Just stretching. Yesterday I got a second encephalitis vaccine, so I took it easy today.

• goblet squats - 5x44kg, 5x44 kg, 5x44 kg
  • 2-1 (medium-low) one-arm swings - 10x44 kg, 10x36 kg, 10x44 kg, 10x44 kg, 10x44 kg, OTM, always left, rest; right, rest; 100 swings total (sum of left and right).
  • 1-3 (low-high) get-ups - 1x48 kg, 1x48 kg, 1x48 kg, 1x48 kg, always left+ right, rest; 8 get-ups total (sum of left and right).
Note: Very tired, I was sure that I will skip today's session. Well, I didn't.

Forgive me for asking, but what is the “Shield, Spear & Sword” protocol?

A program I wrote - "keeping your StrongFirst skills sharp". I lift "heavy" 3-4 times/week (just 3 lifts), and twice a week I do review of all other lifts (“Shield, Spear & Sword”) and StrongFirst RESILIENT.

Once the article is finished, it will be posted here at StrongFirst blog.

Today's photo

attila-pistol.jpg

“Thrust the right leg out in front, settle slowly to the floor on one leg. Do not let the body touch, but rise again to an upright position. Then reverse as shown in the upper plate. Do this from 3 to 6 times.”⁣
⁣⁣
⁣- Richard K. Fox, Prof. Attila’s Five Pound Dumb Bell Exercises, 1913.⁣​

[ARTICLE] How to Get Strong Legs With Dumbbells

>>> http://simplexstrong.com/2018/02/get-strong-legs-dumbbells/

After few months, I am switching to a slightly different protocol - getting ready for the Sinister! Code name: Date with the Beast.

- I will still use 3 volume and 3 intensity zones (light, medium, high), altogether 9 options
- I will again use a dice to determine the volume and intensity
- again, both volume and the intensity will be different every session
- but - I will use just 2 weights, 40 and 48 - and 48 will be present every single session, for 2-6 sets.

beast.jpg

Today's training: Date with the Beast

• goblet squats - 5x48kg, 5x48 kg, 5x48 kg
  • 3-3 (high-high) one-arm swings - 10x48 kg, 10x48 kg, 10x48 kg, 10x48 kg, 1x48 kg, OTM, always left, rest; right, rest; 120 swings total (sum of left and right).
  • 3-3 (high-high) get-ups - 1x48 kg, 1x48 kg, 1x48 kg, 1x48 kg, 1x48 kg, 1x48 kg, always left+ right, rest; 12 get-ups total (sum of left and right).
What a coincidence - the very first session was high-high for both lifts - and it went pretty well: challenge without struggle.

"Timeless Sinister +"!

Last edited:
I love your dice idea and saw your explanation on Instagram. Would you only recommend this technique after attaining the Simple goal? I am very close to that with Swings, but not Get-ups.

Hello,

@Pavel Macek
This is always a pleasure to read your log and to see how regularly - and fast - you progress !

Do you think it could be possible to get the same kind of protocol with bodyweight moves, such as push ups, pistols and dragon flags ? If so, how would you do ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@Pavel Macek
This is always a pleasure to read your log and to see how regularly - and fast - you progress !

Do you think it could be possible to get the same kind of protocol with bodyweight moves, such as push ups, pistols and dragon flags ? If so, how would you do ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

Definitely - but well, as the bodyweight exercises play by a different rules (weight vs. progressions, different rep ranges, etc.), it would take some time to design similar blueprint. I am actually writing an article about SFB skills group programming, so I will take a note and will think about it.

For time being, I would stick to our standard SFB programming guidelines, as explained in the manual. Speaking of example above, the simplest program would be:

- one-arm pushups and pistols - GTG
- Dragon flags - conventional training, 2x-3x/week, 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps
- (and don't forget to add deadlift, swing, or snatch to have the "big pull")

Hello,

@Pavel Macek
Thank you !

Regarding the big pull, if one goes for DL, 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps, 3-5 times a week. Nonetheless, if we go for kettblebell swings, is a programming like S&S on an almost daily basis worthy ? Or does it have to be modified ?

In all cases, yes I am eager to read your article then ! :)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@Pavel Macek
Thank you !

Regarding the big pull, if one goes for DL, 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps, 3-5 times a week. Nonetheless, if we go for kettblebell swings, is a programming like S&S on an almost daily basis worthy ? Or does it have to be modified ?

In all cases, yes I am eager to read your article then ! :)

Kind regards,

Pet'

- DL - I would few sets of doubles, to a comfortable "sort of max", once. week.
- swings - S&S twice a week would be the minimum effective dose

Back
Top Bottom